A New Chapter - Skoda Singapore

Carbon82

Grateful Lammy. That's a 15A rating.

He did, but I prefer Thinkware X500 from my older vehicle and had it transplanted.

Vcs is very particular about in car camera to the extend that if there is electrical issue, they may argue.
↡ Advertisement

Hi everyone, Iâm new to Skoda so hoping to get some advice on getting the Rapid Spaceback as compared to the more popular Octavia? TIA guys!

I just collected my rapid spaceback 1.4, great drive!
  • Praise 1

Hi Jster,

The Thinkware I'm using is the X500. No wifi, only an LCD screen. I didn't want Blackvue because it was prone to overheating issues some 4 years back when I wanted a 2ch dashcam. I thought wifi features would add to the overheating issue.

It's workhorse and has served me for 4 years now. And it has saved me from about 3000 dollar of damages, thanks to drivers who collided into my rear and side.

I can't comment about clarity as I don't own a Blackvue. But perhaps you can judge for yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlwiJBCN4aw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_EmiGzmBAA

Wow. Damn sharp images. BV one they gave is Dr500, like s***.

Ah cool, thanks! Mind sharing Thinkware is better in terms of clarity? or wifi features?

One thing i find a hassle for the blackveu given is that it does not come with the wifi function, and when you need to save or view a recording, you need plug in and out the SD card.

Might wanna search for another alternative with wifi :yuush:

Last time I got the iroad T10, same thinking logic as you.

Even bought the model that comes with a viewing LCD.

But hor, never used the wifi or LCD on it, still preferred to take out the card, and read on laptop.

Yeah, funny, but true.

Thanks for the info TC.  Now that I know it's a 15A fuse, I can just drive in and have it replaced.

It's just perplexing that a fuse can be missing from a brand new car.  It was my rear wiper this time, but what if it was the fuse for my ESC or other safety related feature that doesn't affect driving and is essential when I actually need it.

Best part is Skoda Svc Centre can't take a simple pic and send it to me the same way BadLammy did (and it didn't even involve removing the glovebox).

Not surprised if their installer whom installed the camera had to access the fusebox left out a few screws, or fuses.

Nothing is new coming from errr this dealer.

Not surprised if their installer whom installed the camera had to access the fusebox left out a few screws, or fuses.

To clarify, VCS never touched my vehicle (or so I hope).  I arranged for my own installer as I wanted to transplant the Thinkware from my old car to the new one.  I had highlighted the issue of a non-working rear wiper to the dashcam installer, which led to him highlighting that the fuse at Slot 47 (rear wiper) was missing.

So my larger concern is whether the fuse was missing from factory.  It's quite possible given the Octavia has many variants, including some which don't have rear wiper (e.g. the VRS).  But it beckons the (uncomfortable) question that If a fuse for the rear wiper can be missing, then what other fuses might be?

It's a small issue to me as I managed to resolve the rear wiper with 20A fuse (now that I've verified it's 15A, I've drive down to VCS to get a quick switch to resolve this once and for all).  Will keep everyone updated on how this goes.

Many thanks to the various Bros who kindly uploaded your photos and suggestions for my reference!  Very grateful for the help which helped me troubleshoot something which VCS for some reason had difficulties doing. 

Ya lor...a loose part was found in mine, lucky workshop found it, didn't just throw it away, and fixed it back.

Fuse is not worth travelling out of the way, unless want to test the service. Also have to shoulder blame for not testing it upon collection, which I think I didn't too.

• Praise 1

To clarify, VCS never touched my vehicle (or so I hope).  I arranged for my own installer as I wanted to transplant the Thinkware from my old car to the new one.  I had highlighted the issue of a non-working rear wiper to the dashcam installer, which led to him highlighting that the fuse at Slot 47 (rear wiper) was missing.

So my larger concern is whether the fuse was missing from factory.  It's quite possible given the Octavia has many variants, including some which don't have rear wiper (e.g. the VRS).  But it beckons the (uncomfortable) question that If a fuse for the rear wiper can be missing, then what other fuses might be?

It's a small issue to me as I managed to resolve the rear wiper with 20A fuse (now that I've verified it's 15A, I've drive down to VCS to get a quick switch to resolve this once and for all).  Will keep everyone updated on how this goes.

Many thanks to the various Bros who kindly uploaded your photos and suggestions for my reference!  Very grateful for the help which helped me troubleshoot something which VCS for some reason had difficulties doing. 

Missing fuses ah?

Err ABS brakes loh.

Brake lights loh.

lol

I just collected my rapid spaceback 1.4, great drive!ð

Ya , scala look nicer but i think will be much more expensive. If can wait and have budget, wait for it then. But not sure whether Vag will bring in scala if the price is the same or more expensive than octavia

Congrats my friend!!

I read back on some earlier comments on tinting the glass roof, does your ride feel warmer than those w/o glass roof?

Yes, wondering about the price of Scala vs Octavia too

• Praise 1

Wondering if just want 1CH, can SCS upgrade the dashcam for free?

Hi badlammy, i'm not too sure if you mean upgrade to other brands? Logically since they are able to throw in so many dash cam for their customers, I assume they might have some link or agreement with a specific brand of recorder, if changing brand most probably would be hard.

If you meant 1CH but a better version, say the Blackveu 1CH with wifi, maybe can try to bargain? I didn't have such skills or luck though [sweatdrop]

I negotiate with my SE and apparently got a basic 2-CH that's all

• Praise 1

Congrats my friend!!

I read back on some earlier comments on tinting the glass roof, does your ride feel warmer than those w/o glass roof?

Yes, wondering about the price of Scala vs Octavia too ð

Mine dont have sunroof, think SG hot weather is not so suitable, but i dont mind if there is one though. Btw, the styling is a bit conventional and not to everyone taste. Sitting 2 people at the back seat is fine, but if 3 sitting behind, the centre seat is not very comfortable. I think Rapid spaceback 1.4 is more sportier drive than Octavia 1.0

Hi badlammy, i'm not too sure if you mean upgrade to other brands? Logically since they are able to throw in so many dash cam for their customers, I assume they might have some link or agreement with a specific brand of recorder, if changing brand most probably would be hard.

If you meant 1CH but a better version, say the Blackveu 1CH with wifi, maybe can try to bargain? I didn't have such skills or luck though [sweatdrop]

I negotiate with my SE and apparently got a basic 2-CH that's all

Ya I meant better models. If things can rewind, I will have more requests lor haha.

Quick update.

Vcs replaced the 20A fuse my dashcam installer put in and replaced it with the official 15A fuse.

Done in 10 mins. Pretty much fuss free. Was told by thr service man this is not the first time he has heard of missing fuses so he will put up something to his Bosses.

Back to driving.

• Praise 1