A New Chapter - Skoda Singapore

Carbon82

On 6/9/2019 at 9:08 AM, Carbon82 said:

I test drove the 1.8 Superb and it is a great disappointment.

- The 100Nm lesser torque (than the 2.0 I tested previously) has a huge impact on the pick up, and make the Turbo lag much more prominent;

- Somehow, not just the engine, but the other setup were different. The steering feel extra light (I prefer heavy steering btw) and the car feel less planted;

- When on the sport mode, the drive is also not as engaging and aggressive than the one I experienced on 2.0 version. In fact sport mode drive like standard mode of the later, well almost;

- Using Eco mode on the car and you are better off with any 1.4 TSI on standard drive mode, no joke. The eco mode worsen the whole driving experience, and this is the 1st time I am saying such thing about eco...

In short, for interested buyer, go for the 2.0 version (the current clearance price is indeed reasonable). Oh yah, the 1.8 is on 7 speed DSG with dry clutch, so...

I always said that as long as buyer is sincere and ready to commit, price and/or package is negotiable.

One thing about car sold by SCS or in fact any AD, spec might change overtime, so hard to have an apple-to-apple comparison.

Take the 2.0 Superb L&K for example, the current version come with only 7 airbags, vs 9 when it was introduced last year.

The review by Christopher Tan sort of confirm my test drive experience with the 1.8 Superb... 

Skoda Superb 1.8: Czech all the boxes

If you want a car with 7-series legroom but a 1-series price tag, the Skoda Superb 1.8 is the closest match you will find.

With a wheelbase of 2,841mm and a front-wheel-drive configuration, the car's second row has nearly as much stretching room as BMW's flagship.

With four on board, passengers in the rear will get as much elbow room, too. Towkays in the 7-series, however, enjoy a fanciful rear centre console and overflowing finery which the Skoda does not pretend to offer.

But at less than one-third the cost, the Superb offers unrivalled value. Not even the Japanese or Koreans can match the Czech car on a dollar a square footage basis.

The 1.8-litre Ambition variant here takes the value proposition even higher. It costs $29,000 less than its 2-litre Laurin & Klement twin.

At under $125,000, it offers everything a big sedan offers except snob value.

It is, of course, not entirely appropriate to compare the Superb with the 7-series. The disparity between the two is glaring in so many areas. But if you were to confine the comparison to legroom and price, the Superb 1.8 makes quite a compelling case against the loftier German limousine.

Heck, the Superb makes even the Toyota Camry seem overpriced. And the roomy Camry is no pushover in the space race, either.

The Skoda's only drawback is its relatively small engine. It makes 180hp and 250Nm - 40hp and 100Nm less than the 2-litre variant.

This output is spread across seven gears instead of six in the 2-litre. At the wheel, the car feels languid, but is not exactly lethargic. Having access to peak torque from 1,250rpm to 5,000rpm helps to some extent (versus 1,500 to 4,400rpm in the 2-litre), as does the light and linear throttle which all Volkswagen-based vehicles possess.

The 1.8 offers as comfy a ride as its 2-litre twin, but feels a tad more floaty when driven enthusiastically.

The 1.8 is more efficient. It consumes 6.1 litres/100km of fuel, versus the 2-litre's 6.6. It emits 140g/km of carbon dioxide, versus 150g. Besides having a smaller engine and an extra gear, having smaller 17-inch wheels helps too. The 2-litre wears 19-inchers.

Hence, the 1.8 falls within the neutral band in the Vehicular Emissions Scheme (VES), while the 2-litre attracts a VES tax surcharge. This contributes to the wide price gap between the two cars.

While the 2-litre has more premium features such as a panoramic sunroof, ambient lighting, memory front passenger seat, Canton hi-fi and semi-automatic parking, the 1.8-litre is not too shoddy. In fact, it has all the creature comforts found in a mid-tier Japanese car, which is really more than enough.

And whatever deficit it has in performance and amenities, it more than makes up for in sheer legroom and unbeatable bang for buck.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 13

1 hour ago, Hamburger said:

Meaning to say, all bros that bought the superb ambition and plus series, got a good deal.

The 1.8l seems inadequate when compared.

That is correct. Those who bought the 2.0 one, had the best deal of the century.

Honestly, after the 1.8l got introduced, and interested people who made the comparison are just feeling pretty NBCB.

• Praise 2

2 hours ago, Hamburger said:

Meaning to say, all bros that bought the superb ambition and plus series, got a good deal.

The 1.8l seems inadequate when compared.

Definitely. 2L Superb was too worth it that VW had to shut it down.

• Praise 3

5 hours ago, Carbon82 said:

The review by Christopher Tan sort of confirm my test drive experience with the 1.8 Superb... 

Skoda Superb 1.8: Czech all the boxes

If you want a car with 7-series legroom but a 1-series price tag, the Skoda Superb 1.8 is the closest match you will find.

With a wheelbase of 2,841mm and a front-wheel-drive configuration, the car's second row has nearly as much stretching room as BMW's flagship.

With four on board, passengers in the rear will get as much elbow room, too. Towkays in the 7-series, however, enjoy a fanciful rear centre console and overflowing finery which the Skoda does not pretend to offer.

But at less than one-third the cost, the Superb offers unrivalled value. Not even the Japanese or Koreans can match the Czech car on a dollar a square footage basis.

The 1.8-litre Ambition variant here takes the value proposition even higher. It costs $29,000 less than its 2-litre Laurin & Klement twin.

At under $125,000, it offers everything a big sedan offers except snob value.

It is, of course, not entirely appropriate to compare the Superb with the 7-series. The disparity between the two is glaring in so many areas. But if you were to confine the comparison to legroom and price, the Superb 1.8 makes quite a compelling case against the loftier German limousine.

Heck, the Superb makes even the Toyota Camry seem overpriced. And the roomy Camry is no pushover in the space race, either.

The Skoda's only drawback is its relatively small engine. It makes 180hp and 250Nm - 40hp and 100Nm less than the 2-litre variant.

This output is spread across seven gears instead of six in the 2-litre. At the wheel, the car feels languid, but is not exactly lethargic. Having access to peak torque from 1,250rpm to 5,000rpm helps to some extent (versus 1,500 to 4,400rpm in the 2-litre), as does the light and linear throttle which all Volkswagen-based vehicles possess.

The 1.8 offers as comfy a ride as its 2-litre twin, but feels a tad more floaty when driven enthusiastically.

The 1.8 is more efficient. It consumes 6.1 litres/100km of fuel, versus the 2-litre's 6.6. It emits 140g/km of carbon dioxide, versus 150g. Besides having a smaller engine and an extra gear, having smaller 17-inch wheels helps too. The 2-litre wears 19-inchers.

Hence, the 1.8 falls within the neutral band in the Vehicular Emissions Scheme (VES), while the 2-litre attracts a VES tax surcharge. This contributes to the wide price gap between the two cars.

While the 2-litre has more premium features such as a panoramic sunroof, ambient lighting, memory front passenger seat, Canton hi-fi and semi-automatic parking, the 1.8-litre is not too shoddy. In fact, it has all the creature comforts found in a mid-tier Japanese car, which is really more than enough.

And whatever deficit it has in performance and amenities, it more than makes up for in sheer legroom and unbeatable bang for buck.

Dun worry. We still hv the 2L range topper Superb L&K. Mai tu liao!

Edited by Fu11thr0tt1e
  • Praise 4

On 9/6/2019 at 10:48 AM, TangoCharlie said:

Fellow skodies who are interested in 3D maxpider please add your name to the list.any thanks

Superb

1 TangoCharlie

2 Superb13

3 Gordon

4 Aloysius

Octy

Kodiaq

Koroq

Rapid

Superb 2.0 TSI
TangoCharlie, SuperbLnK18, kira_mcfly, G600d, Lchong, Topgun00, Willenborg, reospeedwagon, Ody_2004, Thaiyotakamli, Avezeloy, jwandjw, Pravinuss

Octavia 2.0 TDI (2017)
Shining

Octavia 2.0 TSI vRS
Carhorn, badlammy, Wen, Golf7roy, antohalim, C-K, adrian140180, taxue86, Raptor8, fu11thr0tt1e, sibehslowdriver

Octavia 1.0 TSI
KennethFokWaiKit, Victorkk, JSCH, nardo1982, CarNutz, Revvturbo, westwest1, SGCMpeaceracer, Etheral, Dkyj123, Lucian, StanleySoh_10881, Charmet, Jster, Contrarian, Lockkeng, ryan

Kodiaq 1.4 TSI
Goodnessgracious, SesameStreetGuy, Takuyazzz, Sure3388, Januslow, Kodiaqer, Limgcm, HAW, Infohigh, LYC

Kodiaq 2.0 TSI
Rexer79 , Hockers, Maverick78, Thad, Wildpig8

Rapid 1.4 TSI
Aheart, Maboiboi

Karoq 1.5 TSI
logic69, Angelo, Keltic999, Ano727, @Pretzelsaurus00

PS somehow the @ function does not work after the revamp if I copy and paste your names.

Are there samples to view, Seems like there are a few versions?

I actually only need for the superb driver side though... cos the stock driver mat is too damn small. 

Edited by Friedpiggy

9 hours ago, Friedpiggy said:

Are there samples to view, Seems like there are a few versions?

I actually only need for the superb driver side though... cos the stock driver mat is too damn small. 

Carpet type. Need to custom make. You can have an idea looking at the pics...see Audi ones. Comes in a set of 5. It's better than just replace driver side only.

http://3dcarmat.com.sg/gallery/

10 minutes ago, csoyzx said:

Octavia owners.. just asking if can fit 2 foldable 20" bikes into the boot?

Without folding the seats? I dunno how big those bikes are but if they are smaller than 4 x 16" wheels (w tyres), they can fit.

58 minutes ago, badlammy said:

Without folding the seats? I dunno how big those bikes are but if they are smaller than 4 x 16" wheels (w tyres), they can fit.

Hmm means confirm no problem if i fold down the back seats.. driving SUV now so looking ard.. karoq is abit out of budget

3 minutes ago, csoyzx said:

Hmm means confirm no problem if i fold down the back seats.. driving SUV now so looking ard.. karoq is abit out of budget

to be fair u can evaluate Ateca

3 minutes ago, Kodiaqer said:

to be fair u can evaluate Ateca

I shortlisted scenic, c5 aircross, ateca and 3008 lol.. renault and citroen not sure of these brands.. seat ateca the AD abit not sure too

47 minutes ago, csoyzx said:

You can go to the showroom to see the actual space to confirm.

This is my pic of the space with seats down. Old octy then, but similar size.

line_129682120439658.jpg

• Praise 3
  • Shocked 2

2 hours ago, badlammy said:

You can go to the showroom to see the actual space to confirm.

This is my pic of the space with seats down. Old octy then, but similar size.

line_129682120439658.jpg

Thanks bro! Eye opener! Really is GPGT

5 hours ago, csoyzx said:

Octavia owners.. just asking if can fit 2 foldable 20" bikes into the boot?

If you bring the bike over, the SE will be happy to assist

4 hours ago, csoyzx said:

I shortlisted scenic, c5 aircross, ateca and 3008 lol.. renault and citroen not sure of these brands.. seat ateca the AD abit not sure too

These choices, Ateca

Alternatively, Karoq

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1