A New Chapter - Skoda Singapore

Carbon82

23 hours ago, Darkblue said:

Curious, guys... when talking about FC, does full tank include "A" ?

Anyone tried go below empty ?

image.png.fda7e769ee0b10ff107dafa550d3b994.png

Running a high compression turbo car whilst low on fuel can cause fuel surging. Similar to when you drink to the bottom of a cup via straw, the last few sips will be inconsistent especially if you swivel the cup around like a car turning left and right.

Fuel surging will cause sudden drops in fuel pressure while the turbo crams a lot of air into the combustion chamber, thus causing premature detonations inside leading to engine damage.

And just like in real life premature detonation can lead to accidents...

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Yup, we're definitely still in the dark ages when it comes to fuel technology in modern cars, where any slight mistake causes the car to explode and break down.

• Haha! 1

3 hours ago, Sdf4786k said:

U run a huge risk of stalling and engine failure . For turbo cars not a good idea to run on vapour .

but I have driven it at on the empty tick before where the display shows 1 Km to empty.

Wow 1km you win. I was on 5km range when queuing in a jam. Not gonna say where but it's not fun at all. 

The ang moh over at briskoda are quite brave, reporting able to run 30+ miles after range = 0.

I think the rough estimate is about 3 to 5L left after range = 0.

Glad to know there range = 0 does not necessary the car will stall immediately.

Point noted on the turbo, make it a habit to pump once I hit "A".

6 hours ago, Sdf4786k said:

U run a huge risk of stalling and engine failure . For turbo cars not a good idea to run on vapour .

but I have driven it at on the empty tick before where the display shows 1 Km to empty.

Someone drive on 0 km before in superb chat lol

45 minutes ago, Thaiyotakamli said:

Someone drive on 0 km before in superb chat lol

mmmm.. why so stress to enjoy a Superb ride?

Anyway i notice my fuel needle bei zun one.. every time i start car the needle will go to different position when need quarter tank. Read in Briskoda that some calibration needed but i don care lah.. Singapore small small

• Praise 1

8 hours ago, Zac51 said:

Running your tank dry was accepted as harmless during the carburettor era (test your age here).

ever use a balancer for a weber carb before ?

ever heard of a mechanical fuel injection pump for the Tii?

Edited by Sdf4786k

10 hours ago, Ody_2004 said:

mmmm.. why so stress to enjoy a Superb ride?

Anyway i notice my fuel needle bei zun one.. every time i start car the needle will go to different position when need quarter tank. Read in Briskoda that some calibration needed but i don care lah.. Singapore small small

Yah as long as before red line pump should be ok. 

Actually those superb owners trying to break 700km mark in a full tank. A number of them did it! 

• Praise 1

On 11/8/2019 at 8:28 AM, Sdf4786k said:

You just been given the run around  or they term it the fools errant.

Did you take a picture of the on board error prompt and send an email to keep it on record.

Did you specifically ask how they check? 

If the usual, oh we pressurize the whole system and found no leak after 10 mins, you may want them to put it on the service release form.

If possible, look for a competent workshop that deals with VW / Audi outside and get them to take a pic of the water pump area, just to be sure there is no leak.

How to tell? because the pink coolant will cake up and there will be a pink stain after 2-3 weeks or so. If all else is clean and spotless, you have no issue. 

For my case, the bottom engine and the belly was pink. So the outside workshop mech did a full detail look and discover the leak. 

i went for the dialogue reception so there wasn't a full check. will keep this in mind if any warnings pop up again.

On 11/8/2019 at 4:15 PM, adrian140180 said:

Uncle, no need SCS tell you that, u come my office I also can tell you that.

You need to hoist up your car, and remove the belly pan to be sure there is no leak. Because it can be slow, and the fluid gets dried up before it cools to pool.

I attach my pic of how we determined the thermostat housing was busted again. By removing the belly pan.

20191018_104545.jpg

just curious, how to see from your pic that the thermostat housing is busted? or it's just to show that the belly pan has been removed?

• Praise 1

43 minutes ago, Snokey said:

i went for the dialogue reception so there wasn't a full check. will keep this in mind if any warnings pop up again.

just curious, how to see from your pic that the thermostat housing is busted? or it's just to show that the belly pan has been removed?

See the dried up coolant on the edges of the oil sump? Thats what you are suppose to look out for. The housing cracked, and fluid is slowly bleeding out and drying up.

If their mechanic come ask you the same thing like you just did, I recommend you drive out as soon as you can.

• Praise 4

7 hours ago, Rantzzz said:

Can I check if you superb owners experience whistling sound from 1.5k to 1.8k rpm? Is it due to turbo spooling? Skoda tell me it’s normal.

It can be one of these 3 things. Normal like they said. Or a possible boost leak somewhere, your boost is venting out a small crack hence the whistle. And lastly, if it was the turbo spooling, why did you not hear it before?

• Praise 1

2 hours ago, adrian140180 said:

It can be one of these 3 things. Normal like they said. Or a possible boost leak somewhere, your boost is venting out a small crack hence the whistle. And lastly, if it was the turbo spooling, why did you not hear it before?

The sound was there from Day One hmm

9 hours ago, Rantzzz said:

Can I check if you superb owners experience whistling sound from 1.5k to 1.8k rpm? Is it due to turbo spooling? Skoda tell me it’s normal.

did u do this mod ?

the airbox is the same.

With the Skoda community growing in Singapore at a very health rate, it is time to have a separate thread for each Skoda model, gradually over the coming months (once there is a new model announced).

For a start I have created a thread for the 2020 Octavia, and for anything relating to this brand new model, maybe we can carry on the discussion there.

This thread shall now be for general as well as technical discussion of current Skoda models. Maybe let put it this way, this thread is like a kopitam where all Skoda owner (current or ex) and interested party gather to chit chat about the brand, while if you are interested to find out more about each model, please head to the "Showroom" aka specific thread for the model.[nod]

Feel free to voice out any suggestions you may have, to allow us to make the forum better. Your feedback will be very much appreciated as well.[:)]

• Praise 14