A New Chapter - Skoda Singapore

Carbon82

1 hour ago, Lord_singh said:

Just booked and placed deposit the new Superb 2.0L L&Kmodel. 

V friendly Skoda SE. Fell in love with its luxurious interior on 1st sight. Family tried Mazda 6, Toyota and Mercs A class with me as well but immediately approved the Skoda Model after the Test drive. 

Congrats. Early bird promos so far are the bestest. I'm sure you've got a better deal than the published promo.

Mazda/ Toyota?? Err... as for Merc A-Class Saloon, looks nice, but that's about it.

Superb choice.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4

3 hours ago, Lord_singh said:

Just booked and placed deposit the new Superb 2.0L L&Kmodel. 

V friendly Skoda SE. Fell in love with its luxurious interior on 1st sight. Family tried Mazda 6, Toyota and Mercs A class with me as well but immediately approved the Skoda Model after the Test drive. 

Excellent choice, a class too small for fam. Mazda 6 also abit crampy at back. Superb is best bang for buck

• Praise 5

(edited)
On 6/28/2020 at 3:21 PM, Ody_2004 said:

What attract u to L&K? generally more features more electronics = more headache esp when warranty over..

I driving the base model which serve me well even no reverse camera..

I just want to buy the top tier and leave without any regrets. I used to have the habit of buying basic then will always ask myself along the way why did i not just get the highest trim available. Want to leave no regrets 🙂

Sorry for the slow response as sgcarmart limit amount of posts per day for new users.

Edited by FannyPack
  • Praise 7

(edited)
On 6/28/2020 at 4:06 PM, TangoCharlie said:

Clocked 38k on my l&k coming to 2 years. First Conti. Nothing broken or replaced. Topped up coolant once at 7.5k. 

Aircon must set below 23. But it's individual, I am ok with 23 most of the time. One owner I know set to lo. Lol

VFM in terms of space and power. 

Fellow l&k owners mostly talked about noise, no virtual cockpit , no lane assist.

New l&k comes with virtual cockpit. Jelly.😄

Disclaimer I am no petrolhead and drives like unker.😅

@FannyPack besides l&k, what other car you are considering?

I like the virtual cockpit too!

I have test driven

Toyota Camry 

Honda Accord

Opel Grandsport

Mazda 6

Skoda Superb - loving this the most. Nothing to complain yet except it being part of the Volks family.

Edited by FannyPack
  • Praise 3

23 minutes ago, FannyPack said:

I have test driven

Toyota Camry 

Honda Accord

Opel Grandsport

Mazda 6

Skoda Superb - loving this the most. Nothing to complain yet except it being part of the Volks family.

Part of volks mean u paying toyota price and u get audi+porsche feel🤣

• Haha! 2

Supercharged
29 minutes ago, FannyPack said:

I just want to buy the top tier and leave without any regrets. I used to have the habit of buying basic then will always ask myself along the way why did i not just get the highest trim available. Want to leave no regrets 🙂

Sorry for the slow response as sgcarmart limit amount of posts per day for new users.

Good thinking!! Best to get the top trim if you can afford. 

• Praise 2

(edited)
7 hours ago, FannyPack said:

I have test driven

Toyota Camry 

Honda Accord

Opel Grandsport

Mazda 6

Just to add on choosing between L&K and basic trims.....if you are not a tinkering type of person...go for the former.

What's troubling you about volks family?

Edit. I did the badlammy hack on aircon setting and have no complaints setting 23 thereafter. Was told The link he sent was in German 😂

Edited by TangoCharlie
  • Praise 5

Turbocharged
(edited)
9 hours ago, FannyPack said:

I am the opposite through experience.. when I was much younger I will always get the Top offering of the model.. but when come to selling the depreciation is as bad as the basic model.. 

Not becos of this I get basic model now.. but I don trust electronics! whahahahaha.. lesser is more for me. Look at Mercs new model.. all flat screen type of meter.. warranty up screen dead is a headache.

But that's me. Get the L&K if it impress you 😀

Edited by Ody_2004
  • Praise 3

(edited)
3 hours ago, TangoCharlie said:

Just to add on choosing between L&K and basic trims.....if you are not a tinkering type of person...go for the former.

What's troubling you about volks family?

Edit. I did the badlammy hack on aircon setting and have no complaints setting 23 thereafter. Was told The link he sent was in German 😂

Dont have the extras such as virtual cockpit, pedal, front seats with memory function, ambient lighting, 3-zone aircon, larger head unit and etc that i will like better.

Volks? hear alot of problem from friends and family driving it previously.

Edited by FannyPack
  • Praise 1

1 minute ago, FannyPack said:

Dont have the extras such as virtual cockpit and etc that i will like better.

I personally think the Volks family has improved significantly since the previous DQ200 issue. Unfortunately, the earlier issue had left a bad impression and it will take some time for people to shake it off. 🙂

• Praise 2

8 minutes ago, FannyPack said:

Dont have the extras such as virtual cockpit, pedal, front seats with memory function, ambient lighting, 3-zone aircon, larger head unit and etc that i will like better.

You won't go back to japs anytime soon. 

• Praise 2

50 minutes ago, FannyPack said:

If you want a low maintenance and relatively fuss free car, Honda Jazz has a very good track record for reliability and low cost maintenance. But cannot make it la... right.

Hearsay is a good way to get some feel, but you should know that everyone has their own biases (human nature, cannot avoid), sample size is not large enough, outdated opinion and experience, confirmation bias, etc. If you dig hard enough, you will also realize that all makes and models will have their unique problems, jap and korean cars included.

If you want to get a "feel" of how much maintenance will cost, you can use sites like these to benchmark. At least then you have some data from insurers and workshops to work with.

https://www.edmunds.com/tco.html
Substitute Superb for VW Passat for agaration maintenance and repair costs, then you compare against other cars for comparison and use percentage to agar. Is in US, so you just take percentage and compare to your existing ride.

https://www.reliabilityindex.com/reliability/search/252
This one shows common problems, and reliability compared to other models. UK data.

Of course, there no SG data (nobody wants to do this saikang here), but if you use it as a comparison gauge, shouldn't be too different from SG experience, because you see, japs are up there in reliability, conti are down there even in UK data (https://www.reliabilityindex.com/manufacturer).

6 hours ago, Shoebox said:

If you want a low maintenance and relatively fuss free car, Honda Jazz has a very good track record for reliability and low cost maintenance. But cannot make it la... right.

Hearsay is a good way to get some feel, but you should know that everyone has their own biases (human nature, cannot avoid), sample size is not large enough, outdated opinion and experience, confirmation bias, etc. If you dig hard enough, you will also realize that all makes and models will have their unique problems, jap and korean cars included.

If you want to get a "feel" of how much maintenance will cost, you can use sites like these to benchmark. At least then you have some data from insurers and workshops to work with.

https://www.edmunds.com/tco.html
Substitute Superb for VW Passat for agaration maintenance and repair costs, then you compare against other cars for comparison and use percentage to agar. Is in US, so you just take percentage and compare to your existing ride.

https://www.reliabilityindex.com/reliability/search/252
This one shows common problems, and reliability compared to other models. UK data.

Of course, there no SG data (nobody wants to do this saikang here), but if you use it as a comparison gauge, shouldn't be too different from SG experience, because you see, japs are up there in reliability, conti are down there even in UK data (https://www.reliabilityindex.com/manufacturer).

I have seen it before i came here but i prefer to hear from people in Singapore that is why i am here.

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, FannyPack said:

I have seen it before i came here but i prefer to hear from people in Singapore that is why i am here.

Ah, i see. Hmm... let me share with you my personal experience with Skoda and other brands then.

My previous Subaru cost more to service every year vs Skoda superb. Engine every year sure leak, radiator piang 2x cos some joker design radiator with plastic part... then all the small small things take turns to break, bushings, MAF sensor (a few times), hoses, add up $$$.  Winner was year 9, engine leak at the gasket, no choice, hoist engine, fix leak, 3k+. Gearbox from year 8 start giving problems, have to drive and pray. Unbelievable. Subaru supposed to be reliable, japanese, turn out my Skoda less problem and cheaper maintenance overall. That's why i just bought another skoda.

My colleague's toyota altis engine seized, overhaul. Neighbor toyota alphard every tank of petrol consume 1 liter engine oil, overhaul. Relative's toyota allion gearbox up lorry, overhaul. But people say toyota reliable. I don't know why.

Best is get Merc or BMW if you ask me. No need to service one.

Merc, my relative always buy new merc, never service because according to her, Merc no need to service one. Every 3 years, change car because new model. Merc reliability #1, servicing cost zero.

Bmw, my colleague also never service once in his life before, because "you see, the car tell me not due for service yet, still got xxx km to go" (even after 2 years+) and he sold when almost due for servicing.

True stories.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 6

Twincharged
(edited)
15 hours ago, Shoebox said:

Ah, i see. Hmm... let me share with you my personal experience with Skoda and other brands then.

My previous Subaru cost more to service every year vs Skoda superb. Engine every year sure leak, radiator piang 2x cos some joker design radiator with plastic part... then all the small small things take turns to break, bushings, MAF sensor (a few times), hoses, add up $$$.  Winner was year 9, engine leak at the gasket, no choice, hoist engine, fix leak, 3k+. Gearbox from year 8 start giving problems, have to drive and pray. Unbelievable. Subaru supposed to be reliable, japanese, turn out my Skoda less problem and cheaper maintenance overall. That's why i just bought another skoda.

My colleague's toyota altis engine seized, overhaul. Neighbor toyota alphard every tank of petrol consume 1 liter engine oil, overhaul. Relative's toyota allion gearbox up lorry, overhaul. But people say toyota reliable. I don't know why.

Best is get Merc or BMW if you ask me. No need to service one.

Merc, my relative always buy new merc, never service because according to her, Merc no need to service one. Every 3 years, change car because new model. Merc reliability #1, servicing cost zero.

Bmw, my colleague also never service once in his life before, because "you see, the car tell me not due for service yet, still got xxx km to go" (even after 2 years+) and he sold when almost due for servicing.

True stories.

some of the engine oil leak is due in part to the engine oil POA and ester mixture that chew the gasket.

Of course IF it's thru out the model range, then we cannot help but feel its the Mfg defect. Cars like the Audi A4 where there is a class action lawsuit comes to mind.

For water pump, in the interest of lower cost and as plastic tech improves, the number of water impeller made of plastic seems to be propagating.

Some of the VAG cars when comes to replacement of water pump inherently ask the workshop to use the older model parts to replace,.

As for Subaru, Can't say about the reliability or lack of, as I never own or driven one.

But I am sure the halo WRX STi with its rally heritage is hard to beat. 

But many do not realise that not everything that come off the Rally cars are from the factory. So while the Purchase of a Rally winning image is there, you better off buying cars which reliability survey shows a consistent pattern of reliability.

Edited by Sdf4786k

Supersonic
On 6/29/2020 at 11:21 PM, Thaiyotakamli said:

Part of volks mean u paying toyota price and u get audi+porsche feel🤣

Wah sei....my audi got vw feel. How liddat?

• Haha! 3