A New Chapter - Skoda Singapore

Carbon82

2 hours ago, Beanoyip said:

Consumer happy most important. no?

Consumer happiness only if u run Disney land where your product is selling a slice of happiness during the time they spend there.

selling a car and happiness does not means repeat business. I use to own Japanese car and rather happy with the reliability. That does not mean I will buy another Japanese car from the same manufacturer 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

3 hours ago, Ody_2004 said:

Errr to make my wife happy we talking abt big carrot diamond.. i never do that she is also happy 😂

at the end which segment skoda fit in loh.. know the segment and customer profile.. no need talk abt options.. bring in the estate first 😊 see how many they can put on road

Good point on the estate version.

I guess for brands targeting buyers looking for value, not many will go for the options due to cost. Also it may be long waiting period to indent a car and COE may be different by then

15 minutes ago, Lotr said:

Good point on the estate version.

I like the look of estate BUT to buy n drive one daily not for me..

Singapore parking 95% is backside in first.. unlike say malaysia.. so very very hard to open the trunk to unload stuff.. same experience as driving MPV for 13 years.. unload stroller need to reverse.. take stroller out.. reverse again.. 

Big countries different loh.. open BIG BIG anytime the trunk..

Edited by Ody_2004
  • Praise 1

2 hours ago, Ody_2004 said:

Singapore parking 95% is backside in first.. unlike say malaysia.. so very very hard to open the trunk to unload stuff.. same experience as driving MPV for 13 years.. unload stroller need to reverse.. take stroller out.. reverse again.. 

well said. I always see so many people wanting the combi but honestly how many will really buy? Considering the prices in Singapore and most families only own 1 car and usually wagons are $10-$15k more expensive than the sedan versions. Maybe SCS can take a pre-order? Ask those interested to put their money where their mouth is and pay first before they bring in. 

• Praise 3

Just look at LTA's registration numbers and they indicate the number of MPV/Wagons. And if you notice the brands, majority of the figures are contributed by MPVs, e.g. Citroen Picasso, Honda Odyssey, Renault Grand Scenic, Toyota Sienta/Alphard/Vellfire, etc. 

If I'm SCS and see this numbers, I also scared to bring in the combi. 

• Praise 1

5 hours ago, berry64694 said:

well said. I always see so many people wanting the combi but honestly how many will really buy? Considering the prices in Singapore and most families only own 1 car and usually wagons are $10-$15k more expensive than the sedan versions. Maybe SCS can take a pre-order? Ask those interested to put their money where their mouth is and pay first before they bring in. 

For the record, the station wagons are NOT built to be so much more expensive than the sedans. The price disparity in SG is intentionally created by the dealers.

Look at Skoda UK price. The octavia estate entry trim is barely 1,000 pounds more ex than the sedan counterpart. That's only less than $2k difference in OMV.

You can't jack up the price like nobody's business and complain nobody gives you business, right?

• Praise 2

11 hours ago, Ody_2004 said:

Well said about the estate or even SUV boot opening when not careful you could smash the rear window..

9 hours ago, berry64694 said:

Just look at LTA's registration numbers and they indicate the number of MPV/Wagons. And if you notice the brands, majority of the figures are contributed by MPVs, e.g. Citroen Picasso, Honda Odyssey, Renault Grand Scenic, Toyota Sienta/Alphard/Vellfire, etc. 

If I'm SCS and see this numbers, I also scared to bring in the combi. 

Basically SG no wagon culture la.. just like in the US, very few wagons were brought in

15 hours ago, Ody_2004 said:

Errr to make my wife happy we talking abt big carrot diamond.. i never do that she is also happy 😂

at the end which segment skoda fit in loh.. know the segment and customer profile.. no need talk abt options.. bring in the estate first 😊 see how many they can put on road

Most customers here want all the options, no? Given a choice of full spec car vs bare bone, which will the customer choose?

In Singapore nobody likes to drive wagon so dealers spec their wagons higher to attract buyers.
For example, a few years ago, Volkswagen Singapore brought in the golf wagon but it is rather highly spec R line version with larger rims , upgrades infotainment system, with this approach, the OMV is higher and therefore the selling price is higher .

Edited by No_worries

2 hours ago, Beanoyip said:

Most customers here want all the options, no? Given a choice of full spec car vs bare bone, which will the customer choose?

agreed but that's for certain segment and a small portion in Sg mkt.. Australia maybe different.

For skoda or VCS i don't think that's their strategy.. every option from factory will jack up the price.. which may sway the potential buyer to say Audi or the other German marques.

Skoda buyer i believe are more price sensitive.. 

As for price difference for the sedan and estate.. if i am the agent I will make a "big" difference too.. The volume of estate I can put on the road will be lesser than sedan BUT i need to carry inventories that not shared by the sedan.. with the small numbers on the road likely these inventories will not move which need to be written off in my account eventually. As an Agent I have the responsibility and Liability to please the customer and the principle. Would an estate owner who damage the rear door wait for say 2 weeks to 3 weeks for parts to arrive? Guess the answer is clear.

Estate in general do not move regardless the brand.. most have very nice design.. look at Audi even VW and of cos Mercs.. all beautiful estate.. I don't have official figure but i guess say for mercs is about 1 estate for every 100 sedan? So basically it is a niche mkt.. 

MPV for me is different.. it served my needs then as i had 3 kids plus maid plus parents.. i owned 2 Odyssey and a Previa in the 13 years.. the multi purpose and it serve my needs then I got "no choice" but to live with it inconvenience, poor handling and poor acceleration etc.. 

I never bother about SUV.. as to me not practical for me.. 

Ok time to shoot me! whahahhahahahaha.. 

• Praise 5

1 hour ago, No_worries said:

In Singapore nobody likes to drive wagon so dealers spec their wagons higher to attract buyers.
For example, a few years ago, Volkswagen Singapore brought in the golf wagon but it is rather highly spec R line version with larger rims , upgrades infotainment system, with this approach, the OMV is higher and therefore the selling price is higher .

maybe they should try bringing in wagon variants in lower spec, then price it lower than its sedan siblings.. that might work better?

21 minutes ago, Soundphile said:

maybe they should try bringing in wagon variants in lower spec, then price it lower than its sedan siblings.. that might work better?

First of all why they need to grow this estate segment when their sedan is moving?

why an agent need to do that?

If some buyer really need an Skoda estate there's one PI selling previously. If the demand is there I believe more PI will fill this gap first but for now I don't think it is happening.

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Ody_2004 said:

agreed but that's for certain segment and a small portion in Sg mkt.. Australia maybe different.

For skoda or VCS i don't think that's their strategy.. every option from factory will jack up the price.. which may sway the potential buyer to say Audi or the other German marques.

Skoda buyer i believe are more price sensitive.. 

As for price difference for the sedan and estate.. if i am the agent I will make a "big" difference too.. The volume of estate I can put on the road will be lesser than sedan BUT i need to carry inventories that not shared by the sedan.. with the small numbers on the road likely these inventories will not move which need to be written off in my account eventually. As an Agent I have the responsibility and Liability to please the customer and the principle. Would an estate owner who damage the rear door wait for say 2 weeks to 3 weeks for parts to arrive? Guess the answer is clear.

Estate in general do not move regardless the brand.. most have very nice design.. look at Audi even VW and of cos Mercs.. all beautiful estate.. I don't have official figure but i guess say for mercs is about 1 estate for every 100 sedan? So basically it is a niche mkt.. 

MPV for me is different.. it served my needs then as i had 3 kids plus maid plus parents.. i owned 2 Odyssey and a Previa in the 13 years.. the multi purpose and it serve my needs then I got "no choice" but to live with it inconvenience, poor handling and poor acceleration etc.. 

I never bother about SUV.. as to me not practical for me.. 

Ok time to shoot me! whahahhahahahaha.. 

I agreed with you that for Skoda cars buyers are price sensitive, that’s at least true for me. Skoda cars is the VFM conti brand in the current market with proper backend support. 

• Praise 3

2 hours ago, Ody_2004 said:

First of all why they need to grow this estate segment when their sedan is moving?

why an agent need to do that?

If some buyer really need an Skoda estate there's one PI selling previously. If the demand is there I believe more PI will fill this gap first but for now I don't think it is happening.

I totally agree with you. I made my previous statement because some buyers may argue that they would have chosen the wagon if it had been cheaper than the sedan variant. so AD could try to find out by selling a cheaper wagon variant in the line-up, since there have been so many comments from buyers saying they like the wagon and why AD never bring in. 😅

Octavia Ambition now going for $99,900. I think a few days ago, it was $105K. From past experience, I know that Skoda will give further discount onsite in addition to Promo price. So actual purchase price could be lower than $99,900 ? hehehe..

image.png

Edited by Shouyi
  • Praise 3

9 hours ago, No_worries said:

Don’t have to even talk about that.. 

the straight forward Passat variant also no ones buy other than when it’s from a demo or management car deal. 

so why would one even consider going that route to offer it?

I rather they offer cars for limited edition run but even then the beetle dune edition or polo GTI was lacking in take up rate.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1