A New Chapter - Skoda Singapore

Carbon82

4 hours ago, GoodCar said:

Seeking advise

Compare Octavia and Goft, is their NVH comparable?

Looking for a quieter ride after many years with Japs and Korean car.

Better than Honda for sure. Use to drive the older Octavia, way better soundproofing than gk5 jazz and gp5 fit.

• Praise 1

1 minute ago, David325 said:

Better than Honda for sure. Use to drive the older Octavia, way better soundproofing than gk5 jazz and gp5 fit.

Even i find kodiaq and superb has better nvh than ody and crv

• Praise 2

12 minutes ago, LYC said:

I find the kodiaq's NVH is better then the A4 and E class ☺️

Could this be because of the feature in Kodiaq which amplifies the sound within the cabin through the speakers?

5 minutes ago, badlammy said:

Could this be because of the feature in Kodiaq which amplifies the sound within the cabin through the speakers?

I think kodiaq has good shock absorber and the suspension setup absorb uneven or pothole well. I also personally find kodiaq better nvh. Not sure above 100kmh hows the wind and road noise. But given it has thicker tyre profile than superb, the ride should be more comfortable

Neutral Newbie

Hi, first time car buyer here, looking to compare between Mazda 6 2.0 and Octavia Ambition. Is it a close fight? 

My concerns for Skoda is the reliability and maintenance issues that may pop up after 5 years. 

Should that deter me and make me stump up more for the Mazda 6? Because I really like the Octavia's boot. Seems like it can easily fit 2 strollers and more!

Edited by Cching88

1 hour ago, David325 said:

My wife was very particular about noise- compared to the vios, civic, jazz, city and Toledo the Octavia’s cabin feels quite insulated. Road noise and bumps on the road feel well cushioned, ride is smooth. 

Of course, can’t compare to higher end volkswagens, Audi’s, other conti cars but for the price payable, ok ok la 😊

• Praise 1

49 minutes ago, Cching88 said:

Hi, first time car buyer here, looking to compare between Mazda 6 2.0 and Octavia Ambition. Is it a close fight? 

My concerns for Skoda is the reliability and maintenance issues that may pop up after 5 years. 

Should that deter me and make me stump up more for the Mazda 6? Because I really like the Octavia's boot. Seems like it can easily fit 2 strollers and more!

I'm also a first time car buyer, congrats on having a large enough budget to consider the MZ6!

I only test drove a used Mazda 2 (2016 model) as part of my car buying experience, so can't advise you there. I think it depends on how much you want to spend. 

For example, the price of an Octavia would be closer to that of a Mazda 3? In that case you should compare which ride you like more. Boot wise, 2 strollers definitely not an issue (I just tried fitting in a 10kg stroller together with a trestle folding table (after lowering the back seats)) and there was more than enough space. Engine smooth and with a sizeable reserve of power (never feels breathless going up an incline or accelerating). However, I think the Mazda interior and exterior might look more modern and "stylish" cos the Octavia is after all a 5 year old model. 

If Mazda 6, then probably can see if you can get a Superb for that price. I think most of the bros here with Superbs love their ride including @Thaiyotakamli? Again, don't have personal experience driving the MZ 6 so can't really comment. 

All I can say is that the Octavia was never within my budget in the first place. After driving it, it was the dream car for me and we decided to stretch our budget to chase the dream. perhaps in 10 years, it would be the Superb or VRS once the COE on our current ride expires. You should visit both the Mazda and Skoda showrooms and also seek your family's input on which car they prefer. 

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie
1 hour ago, tjyand said:

I'm also a first time car buyer, congrats on having a large enough budget to consider the MZ6!

I only test drove a used Mazda 2 (2016 model) as part of my car buying experience, so can't advise you there. I think it depends on how much you want to spend. 

For example, the price of an Octavia would be closer to that of a Mazda 3? In that case you should compare which ride you like more. Boot wise, 2 strollers definitely not an issue (I just tried fitting in a 10kg stroller together with a trestle folding table (after lowering the back seats)) and there was more than enough space. Engine smooth and with a sizeable reserve of power (never feels breathless going up an incline or accelerating). However, I think the Mazda interior and exterior might look more modern and "stylish" cos the Octavia is after all a 5 year old model. 

If Mazda 6, then probably can see if you can get a Superb for that price. I think most of the bros here with Superbs love their ride including @Thaiyotakamli? Again, don't have personal experience driving the MZ 6 so can't really comment. 

All I can say is that the Octavia was never within my budget in the first place. After driving it, it was the dream car for me and we decided to stretch our budget to chase the dream. perhaps in 10 years, it would be the Superb or VRS once the COE on our current ride expires. You should visit both the Mazda and Skoda showrooms and also seek your family's input on which car they prefer. 

Thanks for your reply! Saw your photos and the rims, so you got the ambition plus?

Current 11.11 promo on SGCM.

Mazda3 from $88,888
Mazda6 from $99,888

I think that the Octavia Ambition is going at around 97+? That got me thinking if I want to push for a MZ6. But yes, there's the poison of just paying abit more for something and that never ends. I'll drop by this weekend to check out the MZ6 to have a feel.

Went for a test drive last Monday at Skoda. Wanted to try more but cut short by the crazy storm. 

13 minutes ago, Cching88 said:

Thanks for your reply! Saw your photos and the rims, so you got the ambition plus?

Mazda3 from $88,888
Mazda6 from $99,888

I think that the Octavia Ambition is going at around 97+? That got me thinking if I want to push for a MZ6. But yes, there's the poison of just paying abit more for something and that never ends. I'll drop by this weekend to check out the MZ6 to have a feel.

Went for a test drive last Monday at Skoda. Wanted to try more but cut short by the crazy storm. 

Just try both car see which one suits u. Both mazda and skoda are great and it depends on ur need and preference. 

• Praise 3

Agree with bro @Thaiyotakamli. I gotta say, MZ6 at sub 100k seems really appealing and it’s a lot of car for the money. The interior does look way better than the Skoda’s interior. You should also consider that the current Octavia is a outgoing model and the replacement model is already out in Europe. 

I would still go Octavia on my end though especially if you can get a deal from SCS. The main appeal for me is the engine (ask your SE to take you on the uphill incline at Kay Siang road leading to queensway and step on the accelerator), the fuel efficiency (about 15km/l in city driving which is probably better than the mz6), the cabin space (can stretch leg out kind) and the boot space (really huge). 

If you really wanna to budget check out the seat Toledo possibly - big boot at 550l, same engine (but not as highly tuned) as the Octavia, but not as refined as the Octavia. Might be able to get it sub 80k maybe (saving 20k) compared to mz6 and Octavia? 

Ultimately between mz6 and Octavia there’s no bad car and it really depends on how you as the driver “feels” the car and your family’s opinion as well. Happy hunting! 

• Praise 5

15 hours ago, Thaiyotakamli said:

Yes should buy bmw or lexus

and we come one full circle.

Because the cars are so "muted" there has to be pipe in artificial noise to make the car sound sporty.

Which is good because now you can disable the sound generator from the Head unit.

• Haha! 1

10 hours ago, Cching88 said:

Mazda3 from $88,888
Mazda6 from $99,888

I myself am driving an Octavia Ambition. To me, I did consider a Mazda 3 and Mazda 6 at that point. 

I did a brief comparison between Mazda 6 and Octavia Ambition and to me, these are the main differences. 

Things Mazda 6 have that Octavia does not:

1. it's a slightly larger and slightly more powerful car
2. LED headlamps
3. 17" rims
4. Electric adjustable front seats with memory for driver

Things Octavia Ambition has that Mazda 6 does not

1. Bigger boot space with wider opening
2. Almost half the road tax $624 vs $1210 (equivalent to almost $6k savings over 10 years)
3. Better torque and acceleration
4. Better fuel consumption (I can get 17-18 km/L easily)

I know I'm not helping much haha. Try both cars out and see what you think bro. Personally, i also think there's a difference in these european makes vs japanese makes. the build quality is just not as good for jap and korean. 

• Praise 1

Hi all, we just recently joined the Skoda family cause my hubby really loved the style and ride!

Previous owners of Audi, Mazda and Toyota. We did test-drive a couple of cars below before making our decision to join this family, below is our review & comparison:
1. New Mazda 6 - good price now, very stylish exterior & interior, however, its 2 Litre, we drive long distance quite a bit, just couldn't find the reason to justify the extra road tax yearly even tho agent claimed the new model is low in FC. Also the boot size & rear leg room space is not as roomy as Skoda Karoq. And no electric boot which is hard for family to offload and unload groceries and luggage when our hands are full. Aircon was also pretty weak, needed to be 20 to feel ok on a rainy day. Agent explained cause their engineer recalibrated the air con range from the typical 18-24 to 14-20, wasn't quite convinced on that theory tho. 

2. New Corolla Altis - good price too, looks more fashionable now but really behind in many newer safety features...no auto brake hold...cannot imagine all the constant braking again, no electric boot too, boot size & rear leg room also just reasonable only. Sound insulation & ride comfort was the worst among all that we tried. Didn't like the agent service too. 

3. Kia Seltos - looks nice in exterior and interior, roomy rear leg room, big boot space, again dated in safety features...slightly better than toyota tho but its made in india, so reliability unknown, aircon needed to be 16 to be cool during testdrive. Not sure how its going to last... 

4. New Hyundai Avante - looks futuristic both exterior & interior, but cheap plastic feel. But in terms of all the tech and safety features, it has them all. very good boot space and rear leg room but pretty low if you are going to be ferrying elderly parents or bringing kids in and out of baby seat. 

5. SEAT Ateca - looks nice in the exterior, but the interior build is too plastic for our preference, also some of the interior plastic parts don't seem like they will last long. The 4W drive was solid tho. Ride was very comfortable and quiet. Boot size & rear leg room is generous too but somehow the aircon was very weak and stuffy at the back. 

6. Skoda Karoq - looks nice both exterior and interior, however Style is nicer but all sold out! Style also meets our needs in terms of the safety features, electric boot, memory seat, auto brake hold. We simply loved the boot size, rear leg room and all the nice little touches in the interior & the low FC. Also if you can see, the marketing from Skoda is really aggressive and nicely done as compared to SEAT. The agent by the name of Nick was also super nice! We really wanted to buy from him, the most sincere, patient, honest, knowledgeable, non-pushy, not arrogant agent we have met!!! The only reason we didn't buy from him was cause the new batch of Style was only available in either Dec or Jan. Felt really bad that we can't give him the deal. If anyone is looking for Skoda, we highly recommend him. 

If there is any Skoda community or family to join, please let me know, really looking forward to be part of this new family! 

Cheers!

• Praise 4

35 minutes ago, funkburger said:

Hi all, we just recently joined the Skoda family cause my hubby really loved the style and ride!

Previous owners of Audi, Mazda and Toyota. We did test-drive a couple of cars below before making our decision to join this family, below is our review & comparison:
1. New Mazda 6 - good price now, very stylish exterior & interior, however, its 2 Litre, we drive long distance quite a bit, just couldn't find the reason to justify the extra road tax yearly even tho agent claimed the new model is low in FC. Also the boot size & rear leg room space is not as roomy as Skoda Karoq. And no electric boot which is hard for family to offload and unload groceries and luggage when our hands are full. Aircon was also pretty weak, needed to be 20 to feel ok on a rainy day. Agent explained cause their engineer recalibrated the air con range from the typical 18-24 to 14-20, wasn't quite convinced on that theory tho. 

2. New Corolla Altis - good price too, looks more fashionable now but really behind in many newer safety features...no auto brake hold...cannot imagine all the constant braking again, no electric boot too, boot size & rear leg room also just reasonable only. Sound insulation & ride comfort was the worst among all that we tried. Didn't like the agent service too. 

3. Kia Seltos - looks nice in exterior and interior, roomy rear leg room, big boot space, again dated in safety features...slightly better than toyota tho but its made in india, so reliability unknown, aircon needed to be 16 to be cool during testdrive. Not sure how its going to last... 

4. New Hyundai Avante - looks futuristic both exterior & interior, but cheap plastic feel. But in terms of all the tech and safety features, it has them all. very good boot space and rear leg room but pretty low if you are going to be ferrying elderly parents or bringing kids in and out of baby seat. 

5. SEAT Ateca - looks nice in the exterior, but the interior build is too plastic for our preference, also some of the interior plastic parts don't seem like they will last long. The 4W drive was solid tho. Ride was very comfortable and quiet. Boot size & rear leg room is generous too but somehow the aircon was very weak and stuffy at the back. 

6. Skoda Karoq - looks nice both exterior and interior, however Style is nicer but all sold out! Style also meets our needs in terms of the safety features, electric boot, memory seat, auto brake hold. We simply loved the boot size, rear leg room and all the nice little touches in the interior & the low FC. Also if you can see, the marketing from Skoda is really aggressive and nicely done as compared to SEAT. The agent by the name of Nick was also super nice! We really wanted to buy from him, the most sincere, patient, honest, knowledgeable, non-pushy, not arrogant agent we have met!!! The only reason we didn't buy from him was cause the new batch of Style was only available in either Dec or Jan. Felt really bad that we can't give him the deal. If anyone is looking for Skoda, we highly recommend him. 

If there is any Skoda community or family to join, please let me know, really looking forward to be part of this new family! 

Cheers!

Nice.. I think nick drives a Vrs’s as well ..

34 minutes ago, funkburger said:

Cheers!

welcome! but am a little confused - you mentioned that you joined the family but then mentioned that you didn't book the Karoq. Which model did you go for in the end? the 1.5l engine on the Karoq is quite interesting cos its newer than the EA211 1.4l TSI that has been around for sometime. always found it interesting that the karoq has a 1.5l engine compared to the 1.4l TSI on the Kodiaq model (even though the Kodiaq is higher end than the Karoq). 

Is there a new version of the Karoq? looks like Skoda is rolling out more new models soon if thats the case, will look forward to seeing the new generation of cars on the road!