A New Chapter - Skoda Singapore

Carbon82

7 hours ago, Soya said:

DSG hear-say haters gonna say later spoil then see if still happy like toad....

Ha... I was looking at the 1.8l passat originally as there was a clearance sale. Pretty good price I must say. Kind of had cold feet after receiving feedback about the gearbox from friends who used to drive Touran and Jetta.Of course, was also won over by a good deal for Superb Ambition. On looking back, should have gone for L&K model. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

On 2/19/2021 at 12:31 PM, minion said:

To support anti climate change (counter fuel price hike) I just did 2 test trips around 33 km each trip (with 98 petrol though).

90% highway

Maintain aircirculation but off air con. 

always keep 2-3 seconds distance on high way so that i never step on the bake. When the car in front slows down I just release accelerator

Keep to middle lane and only accelerate gently to keep up. 

Yesterday efficiency around 27.5km/L, today 28.5km/L when i finally parked.  Photo taken for this morning trip when coming out of highway waiting at the first red light. 

Not bad. I think with aircon on still can achieve 24km/L. So just avoid accelerating hard and learn to keep distance with minimum braking can save petrol. 

I used to drive in the right extreme lane all the time. Long term fuel consumption is around 19km/L. I think can improve to 21 or 22.

20210219_082312.jpg

how did you get such good FC on your octavia? Almost 30km/l!

I'm only getting like about 15-16 on mine but my urban highway is 50/50

1 hour ago, daehan said:

Did you read how he drive?

Frankly, why make it so torturous?

Where's the joy of driving? 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

9 hours ago, daehan said:

I just did one extreme case as an experiment. air con off with only air intake as I was having a bit fever feeling cold on my way home, kept a safe distance as well for safety reasons.

On average, I don't get anywhere close to 30km/l. I travel close 90% highway for work, can consistently get 20 km/l even when a bit heavy footed. If normal footed can get around 22/23 km/l. 

My weekend will be more like your case 50/50 highway, sometimes waiting for parking lots, then get around 16-18km/l, close to yours.

I think to reduce FC the key is to minimize brakes. The less you brake the better the FC. 

My petro is free, so for me is not about saving money actually, at least I dont get monetary benefit out of it. I feel good when i can save petrol. That may help the earth, even the impact is less than 1in 10 billion percent. 

• Praise 6

On 2/22/2021 at 11:17 AM, daehan said:

Wow... didn't know Octavia has so good FC.

In term of power, handling, space, FC,  Octavia basically throw the BEST SELLER of MID SIZE SEDAN - Toyota Altis, out of the window.

• Haha! 1

3 minutes ago, Sure3388 said:

Wow... didn't know Octavia has so good FC.

In term of power, handling, space, FC,  Octavia basically throw the BEST SELLER of MID SIZE SEDAN - Toyota Altis, out of the window.

Altis is a joke. 

Sorry for Toyota supporter if offend you.

• Haha! 1

On 2/19/2021 at 12:31 PM, minion said:

To support anti climate change (counter fuel price hike) I just did 2 test trips around 33 km each trip (with 98 petrol though).

90% highway

Maintain aircirculation but off air con. 

always keep 2-3 seconds distance on high way so that i never step on the bake. When the car in front slows down I just release accelerator

Keep to middle lane and only accelerate gently to keep up. 

Yesterday efficiency around 27.5km/L, today 28.5km/L when i finally parked.  Photo taken for this morning trip when coming out of highway waiting at the first red light. 

Not bad. I think with aircon on still can achieve 24km/L. So just avoid accelerating hard and learn to keep distance with minimum braking can save petrol. 

I used to drive in the right extreme lane all the time. Long term fuel consumption is around 19km/L. I think can improve to 21 or 22.

20210219_082312.jpg

If it can give at least 50% of that figure when driven like below, shut up and take my money!!! 😂

• Haha! 1

On 2/22/2021 at 11:18 AM, daehan said:

Ya I wonder how too. Mine only hits 20-22km/l when on expressway driving. Normal urban driving only 11-13km/l. I’m not heavy footed and I try to drive while minimising braking so as not to waste kinetic energy. 

maybe another thing I need to get checked on my ride. 

On 2/22/2021 at 9:01 PM, minion said:

I just did one extreme case as an experiment. air con off with only air intake as I was having a bit fever feeling cold on my way home, kept a safe distance as well for safety reasons.

On average, I don't get anywhere close to 30km/l. I travel close 90% highway for work, can consistently get 20 km/l even when a bit heavy footed. If normal footed can get around 22/23 km/l. 

My weekend will be more like your case 50/50 highway, sometimes waiting for parking lots, then get around 16-18km/l, close to yours.

I think to reduce FC the key is to minimize brakes. The less you brake the better the FC. 

My petro is free, so for me is not about saving money actually, at least I dont get monetary benefit out of it. I feel good when i can save petrol. That may help the earth, even the impact is less than 1in 10 billion percent. 

Very good fc. Is your ride fully stock?

DSG.. it is a love-hate relationship. Really like the pick up. Esp: 0-50... Sometime, I do not even need to put to sport mode. It is like whether u want or not. So far my 3.5yrs old Jetta, over 89k has changed both clutch and MU. Change a lamp unit. Recently, the entertainment system screen delimination. The only relieve thing is that VW workshop usually change without question asked. If tow back, take 2-3 days, diagnose, repair take another 3-5days. If can still drive, book appointment for the repair. Take about 1wk, settled, collect back. Sian part is that the car take MC once every few months. 

• Shocked 1

On 2/22/2021 at 1:43 AM, Hamburger said:

Once tried wet dsg, one would not go back to slushbox if given a choice. 

DSG is so responsive!! 

The first gen of the wet dsg 6 speed is still quite rough but it’s reliability is quite good till today .. touch wood.

the 7 speed with the close/ short ratio is equally impressive, n the FC is remarkable good. 

• Praise 2

22 hours ago, Tohto said:

Altis is a joke. 

Sorry for Toyota supporter if offend you.

Altis in terms of look n feel of the interior is quite refined.

driving wise is meant for those that buy cars like washing machine n fridge. You buy for the space and the perceives reliability and that’s about it. There is no on demand acceleration requirements or sprint to outrun taxi. Just fall back and blend in with the traffic. Which in essence is what Singapore toad is made up of. Speed trap. Overhead speed traps and road humps and pot holes.

what’s not to like about Altis.

octavia or superb, is more of a intuitive drive. If you did not or remotely attracted to the idea of the ownership of the car, you will not begin or have a clue on what a conti car like a octavia, superb brings to the driving enjoyment. Yes, there is a difference in feel and drive quality.

but even past that, any newbie will still be persuaded by the on going stigma of conti Vw reliability or leychay~ness of owning it.

all I can say is, once you own a conti you will not look back to jap or Korean unless there is so huge a delta cost that you want to go back to the safe and humdrum world of motoring .

and lately, the only jap car that attract me when I am past 60 years old is the Honda e if it’s reasonable price

Edited by Sdf4786k
  • Praise 6

13 minutes ago, Sdf4786k said:

driving wise is meant for those that buy cars like washing machine n fridge. You buy for the space and the perceives reliability and that’s about it. There is no on demand acceleration requirements or sprint to outrun taxi. Just fall back and blend in with the traffic. Which in essence is what Singapore toad is made up of. Speed trap. Overhead speed traps and road humps and pot holes.

octavia or superb, is more of a intuitive drive. If you did not or remotely attracted to the idea of the ownership of the car, you will not begin or have a clue on what a conti car like a octavia, superb brings to the driving enjoyment. Yes, there is a difference in feel and drive quality.

but even past that, any newbie will still be persuaded by the on going stigma of conti Vw reliability or leychay~ness of owning it.

all I can say is, once you own a conti you will not look back to jap or Korean unless there is so huge a delta cost that you want to go back to the safe and humdrum world of motoring .

and lately, the only jap car that attract me when I am past 60 years old is the Honda e if it’s reasonable price

no ley, i went with 2 contis and then i went back. reliability for me still wins the day.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Sad to says that I dare not take up contis anymore.

1st experience after drive out from AD for a new car - aircon fan malfunction after 3 weeks.

Need to wait for approx 1 month for shipment to come in.

Actual wait is 5 weeks.

Ask for rental rebate / replacement car - not approve as car still can drive.

Everyday drive without aircon - just like a motorcycles

Everyone wonder why this guy drive without air-con especially under the hot sun - I am a outdoor sales, ave 4 hours on the road daily.

Raining - mists issue.

• Shocked 1

1 hour ago, Sdf4786k said:

Thanks to mcf and in particular bro carbon82, got my superb 2.5 years ago.

Enjoying it and never look back.

• Praise 3

23 minutes ago, Colin03 said:

Sad to says that I dare not take up contis anymore.

1st experience after drive out from AD for a new car - aircon fan malfunction after 3 weeks.

Need to wait for approx 1 month for shipment to come in.

Actual wait is 5 weeks.

Ask for rental rebate / replacement car - not approve as car still can drive.

Everyday drive without aircon - just like a motorcycles

Everyone wonder why this guy drive without air-con especially under the hot sun - I am a outdoor sales, ave 4 hours on the road daily.

Raining - mists issue.

if it is a one time thing, then ok la. japanese and korean brands also can be like this. for me it is the incessant niggles that irritated me. plus the short lifespan of parts and having the problem recur again 1-2years later. it was a hassle in the end. but maybe that is life.

at one stage it was car need to fix, household items need to fix, at work, customer problems to fix. so much so that in the end. i decided one thing less to fix will greatly improve my quality of life. i was ok with poorer noise vibration harshness, just couldnt take the running back and forth from workshops and some DIY to fix things.

Edited by Mkl22
↡ Advertisement