A New Chapter - Skoda Singapore

Carbon82

21 minutes ago, noobydoo said:

@Colin03 Yes that is what I intend to do. I’m puzzled too. My previous jap car i drove for 4 years no such problems. 1st time driving a conti car so I was wondering whether it is a norm to change brake pads and tyres when car is barely two years and only 20k mileage. 

Moreover, asking to change brake pads with disc (as a set)

Usually is the pads worn out first unless you are using a performance pads (then the disc will worn-out)

Lastly you must be driving a F1 driver on the road

As for types - look at the thread depth unless is off balance worn then you can ask them why is this happening on a New car.

Where is the pre-check before releasing to the customer

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Twincharged
8 hours ago, noobydoo said:

@Colin03 Yes that is what I intend to do. I’m puzzled too. My previous jap car i drove for 4 years no such problems. 1st time driving a conti car so I was wondering whether it is a norm to change brake pads and tyres when car is barely two years and only 20k mileage. 

Use this and check it yourself. 
even better than workshops who use eye power! 
https://s.lazada.sg/s.ZRkhb

Are there no sensor on the brake that indicate worn pad? 

I believe there might be and if its not lit up on the dashboard, ask the SA to fly kite. 

I check my two front tyres and indeed almost reached the wear marks. Probably due to my wife’s driving habits and since Kodiaq  is a much heavier car compared to my previous ride that plays a part too i guess? But car is barely two years old..sigh. Current stock tyres is continental sports contact 5. Probably gonna change to other tyres and monitor.

• Shocked 1

@noobydoo If brake pad thickness is really 3mm, you shd change. My 3rd servicing last month is 6mm for your reference. But brake disc...erm.

As for tyres, you can rotate if you want. But if tread depth 2mm or below, better change.

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

For these items, the years of the car doesn’t matter. Only the mileage does and 20K is really low for all these items to wear out. 😅

• Praise 2

20 hours ago, noobydoo said:

Anyone kenna same situation as me? I’m driving a kodiaq milleage less den 21k. I went for 2nd free servicing and the service centre ask me to change front brake pads with disc and front  tyres. They quoted me 1k and 600ish respectively. Is this the norm to require brake pads and tyres change at such low mileage? Also any recommendations for outside workshops for brake pads and disc change? Thanks!

It’s base on the pad status. Not the mileage unfortunately 

• Praise 1

I juz checked with outside workshop. Yes really need to change. Doing it outside at half the price compare to SCS with original/oem parts. The tyres price SCS quoted me is more ex den any most expensive tyres u can find outside.

• Praise 2
  • Shocked 1

Hypersonic
On 7/16/2021 at 9:45 AM, noobydoo said:

I juz checked with outside workshop. Yes really need to change. Doing it outside at half the price compare to SCS with original/oem parts. The tyres price SCS quoted me is more ex den any most expensive tyres u can find outside.

To change tyre at agent is the last thing to do.

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 1

Supersonic
On 7/15/2021 at 12:17 PM, noobydoo said:

Anyone kenna same situation as me? I’m driving a kodiaq milleage less den 21k. I went for 2nd free servicing and the service centre ask me to change front brake pads with disc and front  tyres. They quoted me 1k and 600ish respectively. Is this the norm to require brake pads and tyres change at such low mileage? Also any recommendations for outside workshops for brake pads and disc change? Thanks!

Lol....looks like SCS SAs playing the same 'brake disc & pads worn out must change' game as C&C SAs. Smlj brake discs can wear out until need replacing so fast at 20k? Dun fall for it

• Haha! 1

27 minutes ago, Soya said:

Lol....looks like SCS SAs playing the same 'brake disc & pads worn out must change' game as C&C SAs. Smlj brake discs can wear out until need replacing so fast at 20k? Dun fall for it

To be fair to them I used a torch and look at the brake pads myself and indeed left about 3mm. I went to outside workshop and they agree also need to change. I changed outside at less than half their quoted price. I guess the fast worn out of both frontal brakes and tyres are due to driving style (drag too much on the brakes maybe and also my car usage is 90% city driving). They ask me to change my wiper blades also for $140ish which I also declined. But I must say they never hard sell. They just put a remark in the service report customer do not agree to proceed. Personally I would  DIY wiper blades as for tyres and brakes pad etc I go outside do and keep the invoice in case touch wood next time need to claim insurance or what got prove that I got service the car properly. I just feel that the price for all the items they quoted are overly inflated.

Twincharged
(edited)
3 minutes ago, noobydoo said:

To be fair to them I used a torch and look at the brake pads myself and indeed left about 3mm. I went to outside workshop and they agree also need to change. I changed outside at less than half their quoted price. I guess the fast worn out of both frontal brakes and tyres are due to driving style (drag too much on the brakes maybe and also my car usage is 90% city driving). They ask me to change my wiper blades also for $140ish which I also declined. But I must say they never hard sell. They just put a remark in the service report customer do not agree to proceed. Personally I would  DIY wiper blades as for tyres and brakes pad etc I go outside do and keep the invoice in case touch wood next time need to claim insurance or what got prove that I got service the car properly. I just feel that the price for all the items they quoted are overly inflated.

Looks like you do lots of city and always step on brake. I mean really always. I know of my uncle’s lancer which is quite under utilized at 10k km a year and the orig brake pads were also thin at 20k. Sat in the car when he was driving once and He steps on the brakes all the time. 

Haha, he is the sort that will frustrate me incessantly if I were following behind him. 😂

Edited by Mkl22

Supersonic
3 hours ago, noobydoo said:

Wah sei....how u drive ah? 

My last set of pads lasted me close to 50k. And the good thing is PA didn't pull the 'disc worn out must change' crap at 30k, 45k n even at my last 60k major service 

I appreciated their honesty n tho the front & rear pads cost $650 vs $450 outside, I didn't mind letting PA do the job 

↡ Advertisement