A New Chapter - Skoda Singapore

Carbon82

49 minutes ago, Dannnn said:

I agree with @Carbon82 , get one with min profit. e.g COE 90k , they selling with min profit to attract sales. in this case maybe 5k profit

when coe 40k , they got more margin, maybe 15-20k profit.

Hmm.. which means it still makes sense to buy even at such high levels of COE since they will cut their margin to attract sales, even for the upcoming facelift model? 

What are “choppers”? 

↡ Advertisement

1 hour ago, Zhaak said:

Hmm.. which means it still makes sense to buy even at such high levels of COE since they will cut their margin to attract sales, even for the upcoming facelift model? 

What are “choppers”? 

Depends on how you see it. the $ either go to GOVT or the AD. it doesnt make sense to buy at current COE, unless you really want it.

• Praise 4

Twincharged
1 hour ago, Dannnn said:

Depends on how you see it. the $ either go to GOVT or the AD. it doesnt make sense to buy at current COE, unless you really want it.

Exactly. Funny how people can justify a purchase in this manner .

but if one has money what is 100k coe, but heck if one has the money would he or she even bother to come here to gripe about coe! 

• Praise 1

3 hours ago, Zhaak said:

What are “choppers”? 

those things used to chop. in this case, used to chop your money away from you

16 hours ago, Ceecookie said:

@AriesGoat - Superb no longer brought in for sale? Saw the listing at sgcarmart was removed recently.

Hi, it’s out of stocks at the moment till further notice. 

• Praise 1

On 5/14/2022 at 12:40 PM, Zhaak said:

Thank you for all your insights. It is really helpful. Looks like Kodiaq will be a better choice over the Octavia Combi given the current high COE and future trade in.

Choice is whether to go for the outgoing model or wait for the new facelift and hope for a huge launch discount. 

Discount for new car launch is usually not more than $10K for most Skoda, so don't pin too high hope on it. 

For better clarity, the profit for a newly launch model will be at least $20K+ for say Kodiaq, after all the promo and discounts.

You can take reference from the Octavia VRS launch a couple of months back. 

On 5/14/2022 at 1:33 PM, Melody288 said:

I rem the difference in price for pre FL and FL Superb was around $10k (ard May 2021). Hence, think Kodiaq may be the same too. My 2 cents. 

Not an apple to apple comparison imo. 

Are you aware that the pre-facelift was the 1.8TSI with 7 speed dry clutch DSG, while the facelift Superb comes only in 2.0TSI with 6 speed wet clutch DSG?

Also in May / Jun 2020, we are still in the CB, and most ADs expect COE to remain low if not continue to fall in view of the uncertainty in economy outlook. 

Wearnes for exmaple priced their Volvo S60 T4 at just $129K (with guaranteed COE package), whereas Mazda 6 can be had for around $106K (entry trim). 

On 5/14/2022 at 3:05 PM, Zhaak said:

10k still isn’t too big a gap. So many Kodiaq fans here. lol

Realistically, the difference would be $20K+ at least (for the exact same trim) barring any downward movement in COE premium. 

• Praise 3

Twincharged
(edited)
15 minutes ago, Carbon82 said:

Discount for new car launch is usually not more than $10K for most Skoda, so don't pin too high hope on it. 

For better clarity, the profit for a newly launch model will be at least $20K+ for say Kodiaq, after all the promo and discounts.

Are you aware that the pre-facelift was the 1.8TSI with 7 speed dry clutch DSG, while the facelift Superb comes only in 2.0TSI with 6 speed wet clutch DSG?

Also in May / Jun 2020, we are still in the CB, and most ADs expect COE to remain low if not continue to fall in view of the uncertainty in economy outlook. 

Wearnes for exmaple priced their Volvo S60 T4 at just $129K (with guaranteed COE package), whereas Mazda 6 can be had for around $106K (entry trim). 

Realistically, the difference would be >$20K at least (for the exact same trim) barring downward COE movement. 

S60 t4 was a lose money deal. Price was even lower than cost when the owners eventually got their car. 
The amount was probably clawed back from buyers of Colvin in the following months. 🤣

Edited by Mkl22
  • Haha! 1

50 minutes ago, Carbon82 said:

Actually, SCS did brought in 2.0 TSI when launching Mark III Superb for sale here. After a while, the Ambition trim was replaced with 1.8 TSI probably for lower omv to boost sales.

Then the 2.0 TSI came in again after the Mark III facelift.

1 hour ago, Mkl22 said:

S60 t4 was a lose money deal. Price was even lower than cost when the owners eventually got their car. 
The amount was probably clawed back from buyers of Colvin in the following months. 🤣

That must have been the best deal during CB

• Praise 3

On 5/14/2022 at 1:33 PM, Melody288 said:

I rem the difference in price for pre FL and FL Superb was around $10k (ard May 2021). Hence, think Kodiaq may be the same too. My 2 cents. 

Huh? FL superb started selling ard CB, where got FL in 2021?

3 hours ago, Mkl22 said:

The basic car cost worked out to be ~$135K iirc. But I suspect owner might have a more difficult time claiming warranty, if any. :D

2 hours ago, Ceecookie said:

Actually, SCS did brought in 2.0 TSI when launching Mark III Superb for sale here. After a while, the Ambition trim was replaced with 1.8 TSI probably for lower omv to boost sales.

Then the 2.0 TSI came in again after the Mark III facelift.

I know, and I even posted a review on the 2.0 Superb on sgcarmart.com (https://www.sgcarmart.com/new_cars/newcars_reviews.php?CarCode=12267)

ahX6XJU.png

1 hour ago, Lotr said:

That must have been the best deal during CB

Many (including myself) were skeptical if the buyers can get their car, and I am happy to be proven wrong.

Actually in the past, some ADs will be selling cars at low or even -ve profits when they want to boost sales (in some cases, when the COE premium move against their prediction). I have friends and colleague who have gotten their Altis, City, Legacy, etc. at below cost in the early 2000s, and myself the gen II Superb at cost.

Not to say that one should hunt or insist on such deal, but the price is always negotiable (and one must do a lot of homework to know what is a reasonable price to ask without getting yourself blacklisted by the AD).

• Praise 9

3 hours ago, Lotr said:

Huh? FL superb started selling ard CB, where got FL in 2021?

I think he meant May 2020 as it was ard Jun 2020.

42 minutes ago, Heartlander said:

I think he meant May 2020 as it was ard Jun 2020.

Yes, should be mid 2020. Time flies, didn't realize the Superb FL was already 2 years ago. 

BTW, I am keen to buy the current Kodiaq at $169k, but SCS only gives 2 yrs warranty. To get 5 yrs warranty, need to top up at least $5k. Should I top up ?

Just got the Kodiaq few days ago. I didn’t topup. Was thinking of saving the money and service outside. I see as a blessing for me as my previous Touran came with 5 years and I have to service with VCS to maintain that warranty. 

27 minutes ago, Melody288 said:

Yes, should be mid 2020. Time flies, didn't realize the Superb FL was already 2 years ago. 

BTW, I am keen to buy the current Kodiaq at $169k, but SCS only gives 2 yrs warranty. To get 5 yrs warranty, need to top up at least $5k. Should I top up ?

• Praise 2

2 hours ago, Melody288 said:

I would be checking out with the current owners to know if the ride has been reliable and what are the common issues, as that would be what the warranty could be useful for. Sort of more scientific approach rather than just biting the bullet because you think is a good deal to save some money upfront. If it is Superb, I will gladly pocket the $5k haha.

(edited)
23 hours ago, Carbon82 said:

Realistically, the difference would be $20K+ at least (for the exact same trim) barring any downward movement in COE premium. 

So I guess with the existing sky-high COE, the upcoming facelift Kodiaq will definitely be close to 200k (for Sportline trim). Sigh.. 

My mind tells me I should wait (for the COE to soften), but my existing car will reach 5 years this Oct, and it is said that we better change before we hit the 5 year mark.. I am planning ahead, but kinda doubtful if the COE will soften within the next 3-4 months.

Edited by Zhaak
↡ Advertisement