A New Chapter - Skoda Singapore

Carbon82

I thot Skoda's 'heritage' was a liability rather than an asset. It took quite some time in Europe to turn around Skoda's past dodgy reputation to what it is today. In SG, skoda's name is less than stellar w the crappy Favorit & Rapid of the past and previous AD's lackluster performance. Would be interesting to see how the skoda would be marketed in SG. Small market w 3 similar competing products for every model from VW, seat & skoda. And with the dry DSG fiasco still fresh on ppl's minds....

Agree it'd be interesting to see how the market takes to 3 VW entities.

Having said that Skoda seems to have carved out a nice niche for itself - it's typically larger, more practical and better value for money at any particular price point, with clever little features scattered around the car to boot. Superb vs Passat, Kodiaq vs Tiguan being a couple of examples. Can well see myself going for a Skoda based on that.

Seat, in my mind, does not have the same clarity in positioning, and may struggle more.

• Praise 2

I thot Skoda's 'heritage' was a liability rather than an asset. It took quite some time in Europe to turn around Skoda's past dodgy reputation to what it is today. In SG, skoda's name is less than stellar w the crappy Favorit & Rapid of the past and previous AD's lackluster performance. Would be interesting to see how the skoda would be marketed in SG. Small market w 3 similar competing products for every model from VW, seat & skoda. And with the dry DSG fiasco still fresh on ppl's minds....

Yes and no. The heritage of where it all began. The fact it it evolved. Just like lambo. Before vw days. The car while it look like no other cars. It was not the best driving dynamic nor reliability

Having said that Skoda seems to have carved out a nice niche for itself - it's typically larger, more practical and better value for money at any particular price point, with clever little features scattered around the car to boot. Superb vs Passat, Kodiaq vs Tiguan being a couple of examples. Can well see myself going for a Skoda based on that.

Seat, in my mind, does not have the same clarity in positioning, and may struggle more.

May i know what is the pro of Kodiag over Tiguan? Ty

May i know what is the pro of Kodiag over Tiguan? Ty

For similar or less money, the Kodiaq is a bigger all around car, with advantages in length (4697 vs 4486), wheelbase (2791 vs 2677) and width (1882 vs 1839). 

It is also 5+2 while the Tiguan is a 5 seater.  

Of course, VW couldn't help itself and introduced the Tiguan Allspace (potential 5+2) to confuse matters further. Allspace is very similar in dimensions to the Tiguan from a length and wheelbase perspective, but a touch narrower (same as Tiguan I believe). But it is definitely more expensive.   

• Praise 2

In Europe Skoda has a very good reputation, known for reliability and value. That's after almost 20+ years (since mid-90s) of making good cars and good marketing.

Only around here people still remember the bad old days. Not helped by the lousy previous dealer.

VW and Skoda management make effort to turn the situation around. Initially VW shared it (old) technology and products with Skoda, while production cost is kept low with production in Czech. Later part (around 2010), VW used Skoda to test some of it new technology before deploying them in higher end VW model, so sort of a win-win for both brands.

Since they are also using the same gearbox as VW, will their reliability also be affected now?

Older, lower end Skoda, such as Fabia, Rapid, Octavia were using the same 7 speed dry clutch DSG as VW. But from next year onward, all will be changing to new 7 speed wet clutch DSG. [nod]

Bro,

which ride did you move on after superb?

Sharan 2.0 TSI (with gen 3B EA888), mainly because I need space. Else I would have stick to Superb till EOL, as there is really nothing to fault. [thumbsup]

If you follow the latest automotive news, Skoda is selling better in Europe than VW, so much so that VW is considering to make Skoda pay more for share technology (in the form loyalty)!

That is why i comment earlier they are one of the most reliable conti car, even surpass japanese car maker. However, such impression doesnt seem equivalent to what see here. E.g. silver cab removed them from their fleet

Still remember the 1.8T superb was selling like 89k which i missed the boat

Any car used as a cab will never be problem free, simply because of the excessive distance covered, and abuse by the drivers.

Seat selling point is with it sport model (FR-Line), but too back local AD decided to bring in the base variant to maximize profits.

Yes and no. The heritage of where it all began. The fact it it evolved. Just like lambo. Before vw days. The car while it look like no other cars. It was not the best driving dynamic nor reliability

If you look at some of those vintage Skoda model, quite interesting actually. For example, the 1st generation Superb.

skoda_superb_19.jpg

autowp.ru_skoda_superb_ohv_1.jpgskoda_superb_95.jpeg

So the clever ones will choose:

Kodiaq over Tiguan

Superb over Passat

Octavia over Jetta

Fabia over Polo

[drivingcar]

The first 3 is correct. For the other models, I would say it all depend on specs (and size) vs price.

• Praise 8

VW and Skoda management make effort to turn the situation around. Initially VW shared it (old) technology and products with Skoda, while production cost is kept low with production in Czech. Later part (around 2010), VW used Skoda to test some of it new technology before deploying them in higher end VW model, so sort of a win-win for both brands.

Older, lower end Skoda, such as Fabia, Rapid, Octavia were using the same 7 speed dry clutch DSG as VW. But from next year onward, all will be changing to new 7 speed wet clutch DSG. [nod]

Sharan 2.0 TSI (with gen 3B EA888), mainly because I need space. Else I would have stick to Superb till EOL, as there is really nothing to fault. [thumbsup]

If you follow the latest automotive news, Skoda is selling better in Europe than VW, so much so that VW is considering to make Skoda pay more for share technology (in the form loyalty)!

Any car used as a cab will never be problem free, simply because of the excessive distance covered, and abuse by the drivers.

Seat selling point is with it sport model (FR-Line), but too back local AD decided to bring in the base variant to maximize profits.

If you look at some of those vintage Skoda model, quite interesting actually. For example, the 1st generation Superb.

skoda_superb_19.jpg

The first 3 is correct. For the other models, I would say it all depend on specs (and size) vs price.

somehow, it seems like the same template / cookie cutter used to create a different recipe.

My take is that while most of the parts are from VW stable, some of the parts are audi source. Maybe last gen, but still upto date

Btw, kodiaq is vs Q7 while karoq is vs Q5 segment. Check youtube

Get 1.4T kodiaq, with lower insurance and road tax. Good & cheaper in cost of ownership

Kodiaq in europe is 7k euro cheaper than forester in both base model pricing comparison

Edited by Lotr8445r
  • Praise 1

Btw, kodiaq is vs Q7 while karoq is vs Q5 segment. Check youtube

Get 1.4T kodiaq, with lower insurance and road tax. Good & cheaper in cost of ownership

Kodiaq in europe is 7k euro cheaper than forester in both base model pricing comparison

Salah lah, Q7 & Q5 are 1 class larger than Kodiaq and Karoq respectively. In fact, if basing just on dimensions, Kodiaq is of the same size (class) with Q5.

2016_audi_q7_109_1920x1080.jpgSkoda_Kodiaq_2017-photos-101.jpg

2018_audi_q5_60_2560x1440.jpg1506027927_razmery-skoda-karoq.jpg

• Praise 7

See link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9A_2BQXhJRM

Kodiaq Compare with CX9 not CX5:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWeU6yVujhQ

Karoq vs QS5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urGLNdx6qNA

Salah lah, Q7 & Q5 are 1 class larger than Kodiaq and Karoq respectively. In fact, if basing just on dimensions, Kodiaq is of the same size (class) with Q5.

Edited by Lotr8445r
  • Praise 1

skoda_superb_19.jpg

Next time I want to change car, I ask you first.  [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

They are comparing with other 7 seater SUV, so happened that Audi & Mazda only has Q7 & CX9 in their line up, and both are >5m long.

In term of size, a better comparison would be with Volvo XC90 (4.81m), Kia Sorento (4.78m), Hyundai Santa Fe (4.69m), Mitsubishi Outlander (4.69m), Nissan X-Trail & Land Rover Discovery Sport (4.6m).

BTW, there is a new kid on the block as of today, the new Subaru Ascent, which is ~5.05m in length. 7 seater SUV is the new trend, displacing 7 seater MPV in almost every segment...

6097621b225fa54e6f6edd2874108677x.jpg

Next time I want to change car, I ask you first.  [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

Can, can, no problem. Consultation fee applies hor  [wave]  [wave]  But for as a friend, you will enjoy extra special discount :yeah-im-not-drunk:

Edited by Carbon82
  • Praise 6

They are comparing with other 7 seater SUV, so happened that Audi & Mazda only has Q7 & CX9 in their line up, and both are >5m long.

In term of size, a better comparison would be with Volvo XC90 (4.81m), Kia Sorento (4.78m), Hyundai Santa Fe (4.69m), Mitsubishi Outlander (4.69m), Nissan X-Trail & Land Rover Discovery Sport (4.6m).

BTW, there is a new kid on the block as of today, the new Subaru Ascent, which is ~5.05m in length. 7 seater SUV is the new trend, displacing 7 seater MPV in almost every segment...

6097621b225fa54e6f6edd2874108677x.jpg

Can, can, no problem. Consultation fee applies hor  [wave]  [wave]  But for as a friend, you will enjoy extra special discount :yeah-im-not-drunk:

love the 7-seater SUVs... hope to have more in the market...  [thumbsup]  [thumbsup]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2