VES 2018

Fuelsaver

Seems like NTUC Comfort made the right decision in using the Hyundai Ioniq Hyrbid instead of the Toyota Prius. With the new VES, Ioniq will be in Band A1 and the Prius drops to Band B, a difference of $30K between these 2!

↡ Advertisement

If you compare the EU6 and VES emissions standards, just to hit the neutral band in the VES would require a vehicle to significantly undercut the EU6 NOx emssions. The EU6 standard specifies 0.06g/km for petrol vehicles and 0.08g/km for diesels while VES requires 0.013-0.024 just to hit the neutral band. Hence, the odds are already stacked against current day models to meet the neutral band which are designed to meet the EU6 standard.

I'm rather dumbfounded as to how NEA came up with their figures since they deviate so much from recognizable global benchmarks like the EU6 emissions standard.

post-5433-0-58798900-1488989632_thumb.jpg

post-5433-0-32077200-1488989640.jpg

Seems like NTUC Comfort made the right decision in using the Hyundai Ioniq Hyrbid instead of the Toyota Prius. With the new VES, Ioniq will be in Band A1 and the Prius drops to Band B, a difference of $30K between these 2!

where did it state that ioniq hybrid stays at band A1?

the article only state that prius hybrid become neutral...

and most probably full electric car can be graded A1... 

(edited)

First of all I would be very curious as to how LTA will measure these figures for each and every car, and what happens if there is dispute with manufacturer's official figures. Going from last round CEVS process and how LTA generally does things, I foresee a lot of cock up and frustration.

Secondly the standards seem extremely harsh. Band A1 looks to be strictly for zero emissions vehicles only, so only pure electric vehicles like BMW i3 and the China BYD will qualify. But if they wanna pull that Tesla bullsh*t again about measuring from the electric grid then it might not even be enough and nobody will qualify for Band A1.

And if Prius, already one of the cleanest around, is only in Neutral Band, then vast majority of cars today will incur surcharge. And we all know what that means...

Edited by Benarsenal
  • Praise 3

(edited)

Some of the more popular models Qashqai 1.2 will incur a surcharge of 20k according to Chris Tan.

Am I am seeing right?

post-18330-0-01140400-1489010602_thumb.jpg

Edited by No_worries
  • Praise 2

Some of the more popular models Qashqai 1.2 will incur a surcharge of 20k according to Chris Tan.

Am I am seeing right?

attachicon.gifUntitled.jpg

Appears the main impact is on diesel and on small capacity turbos - both of which tend to be low CO2 and relatively high NOx.

So not just Qashdai 1.2T, but Astra 1.0T and A4 1.4T will also be heavily hit. 

• Praise 2

Appears the main impact is on diesel and on small capacity turbos - both of which tend to be low CO2 and relatively high NOx.

What about your Sorento bro? My 2GT has gone from -$10k to +$20k

• Praise 3

Tough luck. A surcharge doesn't translate into higher scrap value at the end of 10 years =(

What about your Sorento bro? My 2GT has gone from -$10k to +$20kð¬ð¬

Wow that's a $30k turnaround. Crazy.

Sorento went from zero to $20k.

(edited)

Pardon me if I'm wrong, current popular kimchi makes like elantra and K3 oso kana based on CO2 emissions alone.

Edited by Benni09

(edited)

where did it state that ioniq hybrid stays at band A1?

the article only state that prius hybrid become neutral...

and most probably full electric car can be graded A1... 

Ioniq's emissions: http://www.nextgreencar.com/view-car/60791/hyundai-ioniq-1.6-gdi-hybrid-se-dct-petrol-hybrid-semi-automatic-6-speed/

Prius emissions: http://www.nextgreencar.com/view-car/58542/toyota-prius-1.8-vvt-i-active-cvt-petrol-hybrid-continuously-variable/

If i am not wrong, the reason why the Prius drops down to Band B is because of its NOx emission whereas the Ioniq is way much cleaner, only 2 mg/km vs 16 mg/km. As such, it falls under A1 band whereas the Prius will be in the Band B category.

Edited by Dinkydong

Mazda 3. Qq

Immediately sales plummet.

Imagine price increase by 20k over night?

Ultimate winner?

Toyota altis. Huat Ah!

Tough luck. A surcharge doesn't translate into higher scrap value at the end of 10 years =(

But definitely translate to higher car price

But on a positive note. Can we all pay tribute to Toyota?

Their altis really lives up to its name.

Even such drastic changes altis has no difference.

Silent hero

Turbocharged

I think this new Vehicular Emissions Scheme (VES) is out to collect more money from car buyers.

Even the Toyota Prius is not spared: it shall moved to a neutral band under the new scheme.

Just look at the measures that the Government has implemented for the past few months:

1.  Increase in parking coupons;

2.  Increase in PAP's Town Councils' S&CC;

3.  Increase in water charges (30%);

4.  New Carbon Tax;

5.  Re-banding of VES.

All were given in the name of either long-time haven't increased, water is a strategic resource, more environmentally friendly.

The Government is racking its brains out, as the 2017's Budget is expected to have a basis deficit of $5.6 billion; they expect to plug this gap through the Net Investment Return (NIR) incomes from Temasek and GIC.

So, I would suggest that you spare yourselves doing all the analysis and spreadsheets on which car has the lowest carbon footprint and the lowest VES surcharge or highest rebate, the Government has already covered all the angles.

The only carbon "neutral" transport now is Bus No. 11.

• Praise 7

Mazda 3. Qq

Immediately sales plummet.

Imagine price increase by 20k over night?

Ultimate winner?

Toyota altis. Huat Ah!

But definitely translate to higher car price

But on a positive note. Can we all pay tribute to Toyota?

Their altis really lives up to its name.

Even such drastic changes altis has no difference.

Silent hero

Think can get ready for some brands special promotion this week to get rid of stocks (some as far back as 2016). If not how to compete come 2018.

Special deals for models that are affected big time - but hold your horses. Prices won't change or drop so early in the game. They will and maintain the prices first and catch folks who are still unawares. Later on in the year things will drop. But don't wait too long, otherwise stocks will be gone.

Or buy Mercedes! Euro 6 compliant FTW :)

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

can anyone explain. these cars effectively will cost more when the scheme kicks in. so it makes sense that they are cheaper now. but the fact that they are not that CO free, will they cost more to maintain when they are due for emmision test?