VES 2018

Fuelsaver

Wait for electrical Grid Surcharge. This one line hidden in the last paragraph of the VES announcement. 

To paraphrase my buddy's alma matar:

The Best Is Yet To Be..

Tesla tax will have it's day yet IMO..

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

I wonder how many vehicles come in from the north daily and are these vehicles meeting all the emissions we are so concerned about?

Should have an inspection centre at the check points to conduct checks if we are serious about pollution and not just taxes.

• Praise 2

if you look closely at the new standards, they are nudging you to go electric.

but... but... but... the infrastructure is still not mature to go electric leh.

it is akin to chasing kampong people out, but never build enough HDB to house them, then later complain that there are too many squatters around. sigh... another million dollar knee jerk half baked solution?

It is very sad. I was in Beijing recently and their infrastructure is far ahead of ours.

They have electric charging plugs in their office carparks!

• Praise 3

Twincharged

I wonder how many vehicles come in from the north daily and are these vehicles meeting all the emissions we are so concerned about?

Should have an inspection centre at the check points to conduct checks if we are serious about pollution and not just taxes.

Many motorbikes form the north will flout noise and pollutant emissions. But they will not be stopped. Stop them and then singapore will grind to a halt. Many of our industries rely on Malaysians to keep it running. Our govt is business friendly they will no jeopardize this for environment concerns. Besides how much can they tax and fine these motor bikers.

In the end it's all $$.

• Praise 2

Next year I recall that coe quota expected to reduce...

So if less demand due to ves, it will be compensated with the above... Supporting prices

Supercharged

Many motorbikes form the north will flout noise and pollutant emissions. But they will not be stopped. Stop them and then singapore will grind to a halt. Many of our industries rely on Malaysians to keep it running. Our govt is business friendly they will no jeopardize this for environment concerns. Besides how much can they tax and fine these motor bikers.

In the end it's all $$.

for a short while maybe but bikes over there are much cheaper so for S$, they will buy new cleaner bikes to come here

• Praise 1

It is very sad. I was in Beijing recently and their infrastructure is far ahead of ours.

Despite not having COE, from 2017 onwards, all cars more than 10 yrs old cannot be driven in Greater Beijing.

That's necessary to reduce Smog.

People in Beijing are dying from the smog, so the government has to act fact, otherwise all it's workers will die soon, and the medical bills will be a big social issue - it already is..

But traffic is very slow and I wouldn't advice driving there. It's not for the faint hearted. 

BTW there's money to be made in electric cars, they aren't simply altruistic. And the traffic is very bad, not a place I would live in. 300 psi is a daily thing.

They only get excited above 500 psi.

this is so true bro

we are tough on our citizens, but the foreign commercial vehicles and motorbikes are flouting the rules on a daily basis.... what a joke

there had better be tighter rules at the causeway and stiffer penalties

• Praise 1

Like i mention before, its more about their tax revenue rather than real concern for the environment.

When have they really been concern about bring green?

• Praise 2

Supersonic

People in Beijing are dying from the smog, so the government has to act fact, otherwise all it's workers will die soon, and the medical bills will be a big social issue - it already is..

But traffic is very slow and I wouldn't advice driving there. It's not for the faint hearted. 

BTW there's money to be made in electric cars, they aren't simply altruistic. And the traffic is very bad, not a place I would live in. 300 psi is a daily thing.

They only get excited above 500 psi.

Problem in China is that they don't follow the stringent EURO standards, since EURO 1.

A question :

While current petrol, petrol hybrid models can meet the new regulations by detuning, modifying the ECU chip, install more catalytic converters(?), smaller engines, enhanced ECO mode, and other technologies to mitigate the pollutant levels, how about diesels?

Should the new diesel cars install an Adblue tank to comply diesel engines to EURO 6 standards?

Are the current diesel cars installed with Adblue tanks?

As far as I know, currently many new trucks and buses have been using Adblue urea to lower pollutant levels of diesel engines and have been using this SCR technology for many years.

For example, Mercedes-Benz BlueTEC technology

If it's made mandatory, I'm sure diesel cars still have a market here.

Under the new VES criteria, most petrol and diesel vehicles trip over themselves on the NOx emissions even if they are EU6 compliant. The permissible range under VES for NOx emissions for the neutral band is half of what is permissible under EU6 standards. EU6 also has different emission standards for petrol and diesels with diesels permitted slightly higher NOx emissions but not by much, 0.06g/km (petrol) vs 0.08g/km (diesel).

The lean burning nature of diesels generates more NOx than petrols given the same engine capacity, that is where adblue is used to treat exhaust emissions to bring NOx down to acceptable EU6 limits. Even so, it will be significantly higher than what is permissible in the VES neutral band (NOx max is 0.024g/km). Particulate matter isn't really an issue since DPF on diesels have greatly reduced soot and other undesirable particulates and should be within the permissible range of VES. Hence, car manufacturers are unlikely to re-jig their diesels to be compliant with VES since they are already EU6 compliant but falls under the surcharge band in VES.  

The cost justification would not make any sense considering that SG is an insignificant car market for diesels (actually any type of vehicle as we already have extremely restrictive vehicle ownership policies) in the first place. Some european car manufacturers have also declared that as emissions standards get stricter, the cost of making diesels compliant with future standards would not make economic sense and the focus in the future would be on hybrids or pure electric vehicles. However, diesels are definitely here to stay for the time being as they provide good drive-ability and low fuel consumption with acceptable emissions - which are what consumers in Europe look for when purchasing a vehicle. Many EU countries also offer rebates for vehicles that are eco friendly and currently, EU6 diesels still fall within that category.

VES would be one of the strictest if not the strictest emissions standards globally even though Singapore's air quality have remained extremely high compared to other industrialised nations over the years. It would also serve to curtail vehicle ownership even further while increasing the government's coffers at the same time.

Edited by Fuzzylogic
  • Praise 9

Under the new VES criteria, most petrol and diesel vehicles trip over themselves on the NOx emissions even if they are EU6 compliant. The permissible range under VES for NOx emissions for the neutral band is half of what is permissible under EU6 standards. EU6 also has different emission standards for petrol and diesels with diesels permitted slightly higher NOx emissions but not by much, 0.06g/km (petrol) vs 0.08g/km (diesel).

The lean burning nature of diesels generates more NOx than petrols given the same engine capacity, that is where adblue is used to treat exhaust emissions to bring NOx down to acceptable EU6 limits. Even so, it will be significantly higher than what is permissible in the VES neutral band (NOx max is 0.024g/km). Particulate matter isn't really an issue since DPF on diesels have greatly reduced soot and other undesirable particulates and should be within the permissible range of VES. Hence, car manufacturers are unlikely to re-jig their diesels to be compliant with VES since they are already EU6 compliant but falls under the surcharge band in VES.

The cost justification would not make any sense considering that SG is an insignificant car market for diesels (actually any type of vehicle as we already have extremely restrictive vehicle ownership policies) in the first place. Some european car manufacturers have also declared that as emissions standards get stricter, the cost of making diesels compliant with future standards would not make economic sense and the focus in the future would be on hybrids or pure electric vehicles. However, diesels are definitely here to stay for the time being as they provide good drive-ability and low fuel consumption with acceptable emissions - which are what consumers in Europe look for when purchasing a vehicle. Many EU countries also offer rebates for vehicles that are eco friendly and currently, EU6 diesels still fall within that category.

VES would be one of the strictest if not the strictest emissions standards globally even though Singapore's air quality have remained extremely high compared to other industrialised nations over the years. It would also serve to curtail vehicle ownership even further while increasing the government's coffers at the same time.

Thanks Bro for the write up.

I think by now most (if not all) Bros in mcfers or any Drivers knows the VES is just to tax the pple! Nothing to do with going green lah.

Given up hope talking about it....

Just like the 30% water hike, we all know..

• Praise 1

Supersonic

The lean burning nature of diesels generates more NOx than petrols given the same engine capacity, that is where adblue is used to treat exhaust emissions to bring NOx down to acceptable EU6 limits. Even so, it will be significantly higher than what is permissible in the VES neutral band (NOx max is 0.024g/km). Particulate matter isn't really an issue since DPF on diesels have greatly reduced soot and other undesirable particulates and should be within the permissible range of VES. Hence, car manufacturers are unlikely to re-jig their diesels to be compliant with VES since they are already EU6 compliant but falls under the surcharge band in VES.

Thanks for the insight.

There are some of the diesel car models in Europe installed with an Adblue tank. Such vehicles may make it to the neutral band under the VES scheme.

However if the manufacturers can modify the Adblue urea (i. e. Increase the proportion per km), would that help to make diesel engines cleaner to comply with EURO 7 or even 8 standards in future?

No matter what the govt do, people will still find ways and means to get a car. Car ownership is here to stay. It's the last big ticket item that an average Singaporean can have ownership here. The HDB is not even yours to start with.

Edited by DACH

Despite not having COE, from 2017 onwards, all cars more than 10 yrs old cannot be driven in Greater Beijing.

That's necessary to reduce Smog.

Speaking of Beijing....

How do you download the kuadi app since it is not in the google store? I thought to use uber but now cannot already. Checked online and grab is supposed to have cross-border usage in China but also not working.

I was foolishly given a fake 100RMB note by the cab driver. Sian. I was still in the taxi when I figured it out but it was quite a secluded place so I dare not make a fuss.

↡ Advertisement