VES 2018

Fuelsaver

Supercharged

So if I can get a 1-yr old A4 for say SGD120-125k (some owners had bought at SGD140k and below), and the new A4 is going for SGD180-190k in 2018, that's a heck of an arbitrage.     

unless the owner really money enough or stupid, else who will sell 1yr old @ $120-125K when new is $180-190K?

↡ Advertisement

I am trying to create a list of cars that are better off from VES in 2018 compared to CEVS of today, I only know of 2 cars and so will appreciate if other forumers add on if they know of any. I’m doing this as the authorities, distributors n even the press has not come out with an official list yet:

1) Honda Jazz 1.3l $10k VES vs $5k CEVS rebate

2) Mazda 2: $10k VES vs $5k CEVS rebate

I doubt there are many cars that will be cheaper with the new emissions scheme. In fact most vehicles will cost more under the new scheme. Dealers have already jacked up prices for 2018 registrations. Vehicles that will likely enjoy a tax break will be EVs which are highly impractical to own here unless you live in a landed property since there is a lack of charging infrastructure. Even if there were to be investments made by the vehicle manufacturers to deploy charging points across the island, it will likely be limited to a few units per carpark which again would not encourage ownership of EVs. In any case, the government's intention has always been to discourage vehicle ownership so the cost of vehicle ownership can only escalate in years to come with the shrinking COE pool. With islandwide satellite based ERP coming online in 2020, cost of road usage will also go up accordingly.

Edited by Fuzzylogic

unless the owner really money enough or stupid, else who will sell 1yr old @ $120-125K when new is $180-190K?

That's why this is the window to buy, when VES impact is not 100% clear yet. Plenty of examples on sgcarmart if you bothered to look before the quick reply. 

Example A4s on sgcarmart. 

31 Oct 2016 selling for SGD132k - http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=694250&DL=3248

13 Oct 2016 selling for SGD123k - http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=683907&DL=1054

Forester XT. New selling for SGD153k. 

Jan 2016 selling for SGD101k - http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=683026&DL=2844

Kia Sorentos as well. New Sorento selling for SGD165k before VES, or SGD185k with VES. 

Jun 2016 selling for SGD135k - http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=659752&DL=3003

I doubt there are many cars that will be cheaper with the new emissions scheme. In fact most vehicles will cost more under the new scheme. Dealers have already jacked up prices for 2018 registrations. Vehicles that will likely enjoy a tax break will be EVs which are highly impractical to own here unless you live in a landed property since there is a lack of charging infrastructure. Even if there were to be investments made by the vehicle manufacturers to deploy charging points across the island, it will likely be limited to a few units per carpark which again would not encourage ownership of EVs. In any case, the government's intention has always been to discourage vehicle ownership so the cost of vehicle ownership can only escalate in years to come. With islandwide satellite based ERP coming online in 2020, cost of road usage will also go up accordingly.

Seriously sad at this country is heading.

There is nothing much to own here in future.

No more sense of belonging anymore. [thumbsdown]

• Praise 2
  • Dislike 1

And for serious car buyers, next yr is the last yr for the high coe quota liao.

So u wait some more, be prepare for a 70k coe liao

It all depends on government policy.

I believe that government trying to stable the COE price.

When COE reach rocket high, government will think of ways to reduce it.

For example, when COE reach $90k in 2013, governement refine COE category.

https://www.lta.gov.sg/apps/news/page.aspx?c=2&id=45d40072-7231-4c5b-94c3-b6af9dd7a783

I am thinking whether they will  review COE system in 2018(5 years later)

Such as Multiple Car Ownership, Pay-As-You-Bid (PAYB) auction system and banning dealers from bidding for

COEs...

Supercharged

That's why this is the window to buy, when VES impact is not 100% clear yet. Plenty of examples on sgcarmart if you bothered to look before the quick reply.

Example A4s on sgcarmart.

31 Oct 2016 selling for SGD132k - http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=694250&DL=3248

13 Oct 2016 selling for SGD123k - http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=683907&DL=1054

Forester XT. New selling for SGD153k.

Jan 2016 selling for SGD101k - http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=683026&DL=2844

Kia Sorentos as well. New Sorento selling for SGD165k before VES, or SGD185k with VES.

Jun 2016 selling for SGD135k - http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=659752&DL=3003

if u bothered to check latest Audi pricelist, u'll find 1.4 A4 @ $169K.

and that's list price, before overtrade, discount.

if u bothered to check latest Audi pricelist, u'll find 1.4 A4 @ $169K.

and that's list price, before overtrade, discount.

Yes, I'm aware. This is for registration in 2017 - in other words, pre VES.

VES is either SGD10k (based on 27mg/km) or SGD20k (based on 41 mg/km) ie impact will be either SGD20k or SGD30k as currently it enjoys a CEVS rebate of SGD10k. 

Sorento price of SGD165k is also based on 2017 registration. 

Obviously if the new Audi is going for SGD180-190k after crystallisation of VES impact, no one is going to be selling for SGD120-125k for a 1-yr old car. So for the arbitrage to be there, the relevant dealer must take a forward view of 2 months (buy now, and sell next year), and be comfortable with the risks associated with the same (ie VES impact may not be as great as the figures in www.nextgreencar.com implies). 

http://www.nextgreencar.com/view-car/57120/audi-a4-saloon-1.4-tfsi-se-150ps-petrol-manual-6-speed/

http://www.nextgreencar.com/view-car/64518/audi-a4-saloon-1.4-tfsi-s-line-150ps-s-tronic-petrol-semi-automatic-7-speed/

Edited by Fungyee77
  • Praise 3

Renew 5 years.

Like most viral infections, the COE renewal phenomenon will be self-limiting.

As PQP rises with increasing COE price, less and less budget-challenged owners would continue to see the impetus of renewing their 10-yr old car's COE.

Imagine PQP approaching $100K, rising to $150K ... or even $$200K!

• Praise 1

It all depends on government policy.

I believe that government trying to stable the COE price.

When COE reach rocket high, government will think of ways to reduce it.

For example, when COE reach $90k in 2013, governement refine COE category.

https://www.lta.gov.sg/apps/news/page.aspx?c=2&id=45d40072-7231-4c5b-94c3-b6af9dd7a783

I am thinking whether they will review COE system in 2018(5 years later)

Such as Multiple Car Ownership, Pay-As-You-Bid (PAYB) auction system and banning dealers from bidding for

COEs...

Sometimes I just quite piss off by how government want to earn from this coe.

This coe price suppose to drop last yr, after UG cane in n disturb which last abt a yr, then come out the 0% n Ves crap.

Anyway, I predict very high possibility for the coe to drop between early to mid of 2018.

After that the news abt coe quota reduce, will cause another wave of buyers chiong in in

• Praise 1

Sometimes I just quite piss off by how government want to earn from this coe.

This coe price suppose to drop last yr, after UG cane in n disturb which last abt a yr, then come out the 0% n Ves crap.

Anyway, I predict very high possibility for the coe to drop between early to mid of 2018.

After that the news abt coe quota reduce, will cause another wave of buyers chiong in in

Haha, this is a multi-agency effort, LTA, MAS, NEA, etc.

COE expected to drop in 2015?

Vehicle growth rate cut to 0.25% from 0.5% as cars hit 1m mark: LTA 16 Oct 2014 

COE expected to drop 2016?

Uber submits 800 COE bids, changes the game for cars - 16 April 2016

TODAY Online - COE prices to be left to market forces, says LTA - 22 April 2016

MAS eases car loan rules: Higher borrowing limit, longer loan tenure - 26 May 2016

COE expected to drop in 2017?

JOINT MEDIA RELEASE BY THE LAND TRANSPORT AUTHORITY (LTA) & NEA - NEW VEHICULAR EMISSIONS SCHEME TO REPLACE CARBON-BASED EMISSIONS VEHICLE SCHEME FROM 1 JANUARY 2018 - 8 March 2017

NSL disruption: Malfunctioning water pumping system resulted in flooded MRT tunnel, says LTA - 8 Oct 2017

COE expected to drop in 2018?

LTA cuts vehicle growth rate to zero - 23 Oct 2017

COE expected to drop 

• Praise 6

MAS eases car loan rules: Higher borrowing limit, longer loan tenure - 26 May 2016

COE expected to drop in 2017?

JOINT MEDIA RELEASE BY THE LAND TRANSPORT AUTHORITY (LTA) & NEA - NEW VEHICULAR EMISSIONS SCHEME TO REPLACE CARBON-BASED EMISSIONS VEHICLE SCHEME FROM 1 JANUARY 2018 - 8 March 2017

NSL disruption: Malfunctioning water pumping system resulted in flooded MRT tunnel, says LTA - 8 Oct 2017

COE expected to drop 

power la bro... even SMRT breakdown also part of the conspiracy haha... 

• Praise 2

COE expected to drop in 2017? JOINT MEDIA RELEASE BY THE LAND TRANSPORT AUTHORITY (LTA) & NEA - NEW VEHICULAR EMISSIONS SCHEME TO REPLACE CARBON-BASED EMISSIONS VEHICLE SCHEME FROM 1 JANUARY 2018 - 8 March 2017

COE expected to drop

Still will drop la... They just throw so many bomb recently, don't think they r so despicable to come out new excuses to scare ppl

The current roadshow, Ves, 0% growth n reduce of quota already accumulated enough serious buyers, so I doubt they r much ppl booking cars during early 2018

Maybe 1st qtr of 2018, government announced temp no mrt service, pls buy new cars
  • Praise 1

I think LTA helps to increase the demand for car. If no traffic problem, they have no job. If traffic problem bigger, they collect more money. 

post-158018-0-44373200-1510639766_thumb.jpg

Still will drop la... They just throw so many bomb recently, don't think they r so despicable to come out new excuses to scare ppl

The current roadshow, Ves, 0% growth n reduce of quota already accumulated enough serious buyers, so I doubt they r much ppl booking cars during early 2018

Maybe 1st qtr of 2018, government announced temp no mrt service, pls buy new cars

haha you never know what kind of tricks up the sleeve... anything is possible... 

I think LTA helps to increase the demand for car. If no traffic problem, they have no job. If traffic problem bigger, they collect more money. 

LTA doesnt have to worry they have no job la haha... many MRT and road traffic issues to keep them occupied. 

COE already 赚到笑... haha

COE expected to drop in 2017? JOINT MEDIA RELEASE BY THE LAND TRANSPORT AUTHORITY (LTA) & NEA - NEW VEHICULAR EMISSIONS SCHEME TO REPLACE CARBON-BASED EMISSIONS VEHICLE SCHEME FROM 1 JANUARY 2018 - 8 March 2017

COE expected to drop

Haha....everytime 'experts' tink COE will drop, the prata shop will get to work
  • Praise 1