VES 2018

Fuelsaver

Has anyone seen a consolidated list of cars with their respective VES Bands? Thanks!

Tink ADs still scratching their heads on the latest LTA prata to defer one of the pollutants
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

The VES doesn't look right. LTA/NEA should revisit the scheme. 2 examples as follow:

1). Lexus IS200t and all the supercars like Ferrari are on the same Band C2. $20k surcharge.

2). C180 Coupe (R17 inch rim) on Band B1 ($10k surcharge) while same car (R18 inch rim) is on Band B (Neutral).

Could be the criteria defined are not realistic and/or the testing approach is flawed.

Edited by Kalmath
  • Praise 1

The VES doesn't look right. LTA/NEA should revisit the scheme. 2 examples as follow:

1). Lexus IS200t and all the supercars like Ferrari are on the same Band C2. $20k surcharge.

2). C180 Coupe (R17 inch rim) on Band B1 ($10k surcharge) while same car (R18 inch rim) is on Band B (Neutral).

Could be the criteria defined are not realistic and/or the testing approach is flawed.

Typo, should be Band C1, not B1 above.

Very reasonable questions

But Quite confusing to some of us 

Hope AD dont get confused too  [laugh]

I think the list is "recycled" one (from the previous list for CVES scheme). A lot of questions if you ran through the list in details.

#1 - What test standard is the results based on? If depending on certificate issued by manufacturers, then it will not be an apple-to-apple comparison, since Japanese manufacturers will likely be using JC08 standard, while European manufacturers will be using NEDC standard, different cycle / parameters, etc.

#2 - Are all cars tested within a specific time frame (if done by LTA), and what is the sample size? Just like electronic appliances and say watches, there will be slight variation from car to car (same batch), and let alone, different model year...

#3 - Does the test results reflect the actual car consumers will be getting? If say the car is tested with standard steel rim, and there after changed to larger alloy rim, wouldn't the emission and FC reading be affected by the change? Another loophole intentionally left opened?

OK, a quick glance and some reading already caught my attention, e.g.

- Audi A4 2.0 emitting lesser pollutants than 1.4 version? (both are TC)

- SUV (Q3 1.4) subjected to lesser VES surcharge than sedan (A4 1.4)?

- Varies variant of BMW X1 SDrive20i produced different amount or pollutants and rated between B & C1?

- Honda Civic 1.5T with sunroof is more environmental friendly than the non-sunroof version (which is supposed to be lighter)?

UNIQUELY SINGAPORE...

• Praise 7

Twincharged

I think the list is "recycled" one (from the previous list for CVES scheme). A lot of questions if you ran through the list in details.

#1 - What test standard is the results based on? If depending on certificate issued by manufacturers, then it will not be an apple-to-apple comparison, since Japanese manufacturers will likely be using JC08 standard, while European manufacturers will be using NEDC standard, different cycle / parameters, etc.

#2 - Are all cars tested within a specific time frame (if done by LTA), and what is the sample size? Just like electronic appliances and say watches, there will be slight variation from car to car (same batch), and let alone, different model year...

#3 - Does the test results reflect the actual car consumers will be getting? If say the car is tested with standard steel rim, and there after changed to larger alloy rim, wouldn't the emission and FC reading be affected by the change? Another loophole intentionally left opened?

OK, a quick glance and some reading already caught my attention, e.g.

- Audi A4 2.0 emitting lesser pollutants than 1.4 version? (both are TC)

- SUV (Q3 1.4) subjected to lesser VES surcharge than sedan (A4 1.4)?

- Varies variant of BMW X1 SDrive20i produced different amount or pollutants and rated between B & C1?

- Honda Civic 1.5T with sunroof is more environmental friendly than the non-sunroof version (which is supposed to be lighter)?

UNIQUELY SINGAPORE...

All pollutants are measured by grams per kilometer. Thus vehicle weight, drive train which includes rims and tires do affect the figures.

But yes some of the figures are out of whack. The learned ones at LTA are obviously not bright enough to question. Maybe they should seek help form the vehicle manufacturers which they would not likely do as they always believe they know better. Hahhaha

Not sure if the link they provide is correct or not cos I see some diesels like BMW GT216d in Band A2 whilst their Petrol sibling GT216i is in Band B?

• Praise 5

Not sure if the link they provide is correct or not cos I see some diesels like BMW GT216d in Band A2 whilst their Petrol sibling GT216i is in Band B?

Diesel in band A2?  :wacko:

• Praise 1

Ya this is a bit confusing.

What I heard from a SE that the ADs have until June for the VES on all 5 pollutants to kick in. Until then, cars are classified only in accordance to CO2. Which could explain the phenomena you mentioned above.

However, 2 issues I cannot reconcile.

1. This does not seem to be mentioned anywhere in official announcements - Only PM appears to be excluded until June.

2. Why would cars like the Audi A4 1.4L be hit immediately with a C2 classification, since as a small capacity turbo, it's classification bottleneck is not CO2 but rather PM and NOx?

Or it could well be that the classification in the website is wrong, as you point out.

A bit of a muddled rollout, clearly.

+++

Just checked the nextgreencar website. The NOx is 53 - much higher than the C2 threshold of 30. Unless there's a NOx exclusion until June, I cannot see how it's classified as A2.

http://www.nextgreencar.com/view-car/55796/bmw-2-series-gran-tourer-216d-se-diesel-manual-6-speed/

• Praise 1

Saw elantra in showroom today, Band B, neutral....probably the AMS is the new retuned engine. Went to KMC for 1000km service, spent whole day here.

That is interesting, but their AMS is not in their price list yet. 

Anw, scan thru Toyota, 0 car in A1. Only full e-car can qualify? But who is selling full e-car? Why have a band, like PE, where no one can qualify? 

That is interesting, but their AMS is not in their price list yet.

Anw, scan thru Toyota, 0 car in A1. Only full e-car can qualify? But who is selling full e-car? Why have a band, like PE, where no one can qualify?

BMW i3 and i8

BMW i3 and i8

Thanks. Both are e-car. i3 needs $220K, while i8 is over $500K. Why does it hurts so much to save the earth?

Does this mean, the cleanest petrol is B and the cleanest Hybrid is A2?  

This VES to be reviewed in 6 mth, meanwhile dealers are bringing in alternate engines to go cleaner band. The whole situation is so fluid.     

Edited by Matrix0405

Thanks. Both are e-car. i3 needs $220K, while i8 is over $500K. Why does it hurts so much to save the earth?

Does this mean, the cleanest petrol is B and the cleanest Hybrid is A2?

This VES to be reviewed in 6 mth, meanwhile dealers are bringing in alternate engines to go cleaner band. The whole situation is so fluid.

new technology is always expensive at first. hoping that the technology and local infrastructure can improve with time so that one day all cars on the road are electric cars

Twincharged

Cleanest petrol is A2.

Mazda 2

Jazzy

attrage/space star

Note 1.2

pug 2008

seat arona 1.0

VW polo

also i30 1.4turbo!

there is also BMW 118 and merc B180

with this confusion.. let’s hope more ppl stay sideline don’t book car.. COE not pressured upwards..

COE crashed to $10k.

I go renew my old pok car with high pollutant. :a-m1212:

[laugh]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1