VES 2018

Fuelsaver

From now till 30 June 2018, 4 pollutants.

After 30 June 2018, all 5 pollutants.

http://www.nea.gov.sg/corporate-functions/newsroom/news-releases/new-vehicular-emissions-label-from-1-january-2018

Seems like diesel is the one of the beneficiaries of this moratorium for PM at least for this first half year cos BMW 216d AT is still being sold with a $10k rebate ie Band A2 but some other ADs like Citroen, Peugeot n Renault have stopped selling most if not all their diesels so kena play out in that sense?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

That's true. But again, it comes down to infrastructure and tax incentives for it to have any chance of widespread adoption. 

Was watching a Consumer Reports episode about most hated cars in 2017, and one of the guys cited the Toyota Mirai. Not because it was a bad car, but because the nearest hydrogen filling station was 30 miles away. 

If the government is serious about it, its not rocket science to put in effective policies because many countries have done so effective, and not to mention that Singapore is in a perfect position for efficient infrastructure build out because its a rich city state with high population density. 

So big question is whether the political will to allocate the necessary budget is there - in order to build up the infrastructure and to give significant tax incentives like Norway to promote clean cars - OR does the government simply look at private transport as a cash cow, where clean cars are good to have as long as they are cost neutral ? 

Looking at the half hearted measures to date, I suspect its the latter. 

Link -

I believe if our government were truly about the environment they would have switched most of their bus fleet to electrical by now. And honestly I don't believe that cars are more polluting than our buses. There is no range anxiety because range is fixed and having charging stations at interchanges are the perfect solution to charging these vehicles economically.

Edited by kelaihoyin
  • Praise 2

Seems like diesel is the one of the beneficiaries of this moratorium for PM at least for this first half year cos BMW 216d AT is still being sold with a $10k rebate ie Band A2 but some other ADs like Citroen, Peugeot n Renault have stopped selling most if not all their diesels so kena play out in that sense?

Euro 6 and VES came just 3 months apart, so maybe dealers were scrambling to clear inventory first just in case. 

Get the feeling this VES implementation not well thought thru.

Info on onemotoring only available on 1 Jan when it could and should have been put up there at least a month earlier.

• Praise 1

I am surprised that 216D AT and even 520D were given $10K rebate. Meaning if PM is included, will not be the same? 

given Singapore as a city state, full electric car or alternative fuel car rollout is not difficult.

There are agendas to why govt is not rolling out in full swing.

Only they know what is holding back.

We are a nation of slow adopter in many front. Cashless society, alternative fuel etc.

This is not right...

That's true. But again, it comes down to infrastructure and tax incentives for it to have any chance of widespread adoption. 

Was watching a Consumer Reports episode about most hated cars in 2017, and one of the guys cited the Toyota Mirai. Not because it was a bad car, but because the nearest hydrogen filling station was 30 miles away. 

If the government is serious about it, its not rocket science to put in effective policies because many countries have done so effective, and not to mention that Singapore is in a perfect position for efficient infrastructure build out because its a rich city state with high population density. 

So big question is whether the political will to allocate the necessary budget is there - in order to build up the infrastructure and to give significant tax incentives like Norway to promote clean cars - OR does the government simply look at private transport as a cash cow, where clean cars are good to have as long as they are cost neutral ? 

Looking at the half hearted measures to date, I suspect its the latter. 

Link -

I am surprised that 216D AT and even 520D were given $10K rebate. Meaning if PM is included, will not be the same?

I’m no expert but I believe diesel’s worst pollutant is PM? If I’m right, then diesels will be penalised once the 6mth moratorium is up unless they can prove diesel PM is not that bad but unlikely so last chance to buy diesels I think.

• Praise 3

given Singapore as a city state, full electric car or alternative fuel car rollout is not difficult.

There are agendas to why govt is not rolling out in full swing.

Only they know what is holding back.

We are a nation of slow adopter in many front. Cashless society, alternative fuel etc.

This is not right...

Very true because Singapore's GDP is heavily dependent on the petrol cartels. That sums it up why alternative fuel is so slow in rolling out.

• Praise 1

COE prices end mixed in first round of bidding in 2018 as new emissions scheme starts

But the increase was tempered by uncertainty over the new Vehicular Emissions Scheme (VES), which accords tax rebates or surcharges based on a car’s emissions, and which came into effect on Monday.

For instance, Borneo Motors, authorised agent for the best-selling Toyota brand, collected orders for its Corolla Altis with a $10,000 surcharge in November. 

But last month, it dropped the surcharge when it became clearer that the Altis was actually in the Neutral band of the VES. Borneo Motors said it will now refund buyers who have booked the cars with the surcharge.Certificate of Entitlement (COE) prices finished mixed in the first round of bidding in January on Thursday (Jan 4).

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/transport/coes-finish-mixed-in-the-first-round-of-bidding-in-2018

• Praise 1

goes to show that VES don't have to make sense, just need to make $,

VES heavily penalise cars like Kia Sorento, Sportage,Lexus IS, NX, Audi A4, selected Mini coopers etc. which are imposed with $20k surcharges, while really bad pollutants cars like Ferrari, Maserati, Bentley with double the emission pollutants are paying the same surcharge of $20k.

The super rich in fact benefited under the scheme, as these cars are paying 10k less under VES as compared to CEVS with $30k surcharge.

I just cannot see how VES is sending the right message to the general public on environmental protection.

• Praise 1

I’m no expert but I believe diesel’s worst pollutant is PM? If I’m right, then diesels will be penalised once the 6mth moratorium is up unless they can prove diesel PM is not that bad but unlikely so last chance to buy diesels I think.

I always thought (I could be wrong, not expert) that the worst pollutant is NOx. Anyway, I already had a car I love, so no need to worry anymore. 

I always thought (I could be wrong, not expert) that the worst pollutant is NOx. Anyway, I already had a car I love, so no need to worry anymore.

Come to think of it, I also read this somewhere but then again, how come 216d get $10k VES rebate if it’s NOx? Really confusing??
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 7