VES 2018

Fuelsaver

1 hour ago, therock said:

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/transport/car-emissions-scheme-encouraging-buying-of-cleaner-car-models-to-be-extended-by

The government is still singing the VES song..

But if I read it correctly, if you are offered a 10k VES rebate, you actually have to repay that at the end? Or is it half of it?

40 minutes ago, Davidtch said:

It depends on whether you get the rebate or not.

If got rebate, your statement got problem.

I'm replying to the post saying if u are offered a 10k ves rebate. 

Your eyes got problem.

↡ Advertisement

28 minutes ago, Dilemma said:

I'm replying to the post saying if u are offered a 10k ves rebate. 

Your eyes got problem.

It depends on whether the rebate is build into the price.

That part you and i will never know

Edited by Davidtch

Ultimately, regardless VES band A1, A2, B, gov doesn't bother how much it will benefit the buyers about the rebates BECAUSE, in the first place, gov never encourage the people to buy a car. Hence there is always an open end for the dealers to set and earn their margin.

48 minutes ago, Heartbreakid said:

Ultimately, regardless VES band A1, A2, B, gov doesn't bother how much it will benefit the buyers about the rebates BECAUSE, in the first place, gov never encourage the people to buy a car. Hence there is always an open end for the dealers to set and earn their margin.

And if your new car kenna the C2 band, LTA takes that 20k surcharge just sitting there while your PARF remains the same..

This is why SG is such a great country to live in. Our citizens do not have the mindset to even question what they are paying. 

No wonder that Ramesh ah neh can look down on us and trampled all over us just by using fake certs. We deserved to be looked down upon actually

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

5 hours ago, therock said:

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/transport/car-emissions-scheme-encouraging-buying-of-cleaner-car-models-to-be-extended-by

The government is still singing the VES song..

But if I read it correctly, if you are offered a 10k VES rebate, you actually have to repay that at the end? Or is it half of it?

Ves rebate is basically discount off ARF.

With lower ARF, PARF will be lower too.

So long term discount wise actual will be 50% of the upfront amount 

1 hour ago, Cheefarn said:

And if your new car kenna the C2 band, LTA takes that 20k surcharge just sitting there while your PARF remains the same..

This is why SG is such a great country to live in. Our citizens do not have the mindset to even question what they are paying. 

No wonder that Ramesh ah neh can look down on us and trampled all over us just by using fake certs. We deserved to be looked down upon actually

If LTA treats the rebate as a discount to the PARF and deducts it accordingly, to be consistent, they should treat the surcharge as an addition to the PARF. 

29 minutes ago, Ceecookie said:

Ves rebate is basically discount off ARF.

With lower ARF, PARF will be lower too.

So long term discount wise actual will be 50% of the upfront amount 

Seriously those with A1 and A2 rebates, your annual depreciation is alot higher than those with B, C1 and C2.

So I hope you guys didn't subscribe to the myth that you just got a great deal with a A2 grade vehicle

in a fantasy world

rebate $10k, the car is cheaper by $10k

but in a real world

rebate $10k, $7k makan by dealer, $3k pass on to buyer

song bo?????

willing seller, willing buyer

what’s wrong to collect more if buyer all LLST to pay and pay

everyone now can shout i pay $100k for this fking car ... as oppose to $1.5M for a fking property ... LOL

Edited by Wt_know
  • Haha! 3

4 hours ago, Wt_know said:

in a fantasy world

rebate $10k, the car is cheaper by $10k

but in a real world

rebate $10k, $7k makan by dealer, $3k pass on to buyer

Ya and buyer deduct $5k from PARF so in actual fact pass extra $2k to dealer despite $3k "discount"

Sheeple stupid wat2do

I see a lot of people writing about whether VES rebate is passed on to the buyer. The varying profit margin and varying COE will make this assessment tricky, so for me is to just look at the profit markup by the dealer. After factoring the VES, COE and other duties/taxes, we can accurately calculate the base cost of the car. The difference between the final sell price and base cost is their profit. (of course some of the profit will go into paying commission and paying the cost of running the business)

So if we calculate a VES Band A1 car profit margin in 2020 and then again in 2021, the change in the profit margin will give a clear indication how much of the increased rebate is passed on to the buyer. 

Secondly, we should also calculate the life cycle cost of car ownership, not just the upfront buying price before deciding on the model/brand assuming we have more than one under consideration. Most of us are already aware, a VES rebate will eventually be worth only half if we calculate the 10 year life cycle cost of the car.

Edited by Joe_X123
wrong thread

22 minutes ago, Joe_X123 said:

I see a lot of people writing about whether VES rebate is passed on to the buyer. The varying profit margin and varying COE will make this assessment tricky, so for me is to just look at the profit markup by the dealer. After factoring the VES, COE and other duties/taxes, we can accurately calculate the base cost of the car. The difference between the final sell price and base cost is their profit. (of course some of the profit will go into paying commission and paying the cost of running the business)

So if we calculate a VES Band A1 car profit margin in 2020 and then again in 2021, the change in the profit margin will give a clear indication how much of the increased rebate is passed on to the buyer. 

Secondly, we should also calculate the life cycle cost of car ownership, not just the upfront buying price before deciding on the model/brand assuming we have more than one under consideration. Most of us are already aware, a VES rebate will eventually be worth only half if we calculate the 10 year life cycle cost of the car.

What's the formula for the  calculations?

I am about to get a Honda FIT.

Assuming COE is the same, OMV at 16k

2020: 10k rebate, ARF 6k

2021: 15k rebate, ARF 5k. (Minimum ARF of 5k. Is this true?)

Is it right to say that at most 1k off original cost of car at point of purchase?

If yes, then perhaps a higher OMV to avoid hitting the minimum ARF 5k will see more "discount"?

Next, get now or wait till 2021. Not in super urgent need for car. More worried the reducing quota will cause COE to skyrocket..

Edited by Junyanyap

4 hours ago, RogerNg_185295 said:

What's the formula for the  calculations?

One motoring shows the various cost components of a car. Just need to know what is the OMV. Same formula is also use in the SGCarmart new car pricing page.

To put it simply. Is it not 10years life cycle cost, simply the depreciation value per year?

or is there are better formula.

↡ Advertisement