How much Mileage Adjustment will a dealer adjust?

SGCMHello

Do you know roughly how much mileage dealer will adjust to deceive buyers?

It is not 20% or 30%. They adjust as low as you will believe.

My friend sold his Honda jazz to a dealer, mileage was at more than 250K. The car was full of problems when mileage was from 150+km onwards.

The dealer adjusted it to 120km when advertising it for sale. They will choose a mileage to âmatchâ the car condition in a way that you will believe. They know if adjusted to say less than 100KM, itâs too obvious and buyers will not believe.

Maybe I should track down the buyer and inform him so that he can take necessary recourse / compensation / refund / legal actions against the dealer, whichever he chooses.

You want insider? My car dealer friend told me ALL his cars are mileage adjusted. This is âIndustry Practiceâ.

Sold my ride at 38000km after 1yr only to car lingual.

They readvertised at same milleage too. No cheating.... true milleage. So tbumbs up to them....

This is not a bulls**t comment frm me... maybe its bmw with autoprompt for servicing dued...and with warranty and still got some free serciving

↡ Advertisement

if it's too good to be true .... probably it is

just assume all car travel at least 20k-25k mileage per year

simi lady owner, doctor, drive to spa and fetch children from school ... screw it la

if you sibei sure the car is taken care by a OCD owner and low mileage ... good for you

just assume every single car is beaten up on daily usage

now with PHV ... 1 year 100k mileage can simply rewind to 20k [sly]

But got some ppl happy to buy tampered odo ex-PHV car at higher price than new car n we kena suan as low class wor

Now with private vehicles used as private hire, the adjustment of mileage may be a life threatening issue.

Based on 250km a day, private hire cars travel at least 90,000km annually.

Imagine a 5 yr old private hire car with 450,000km mileage adjusted to 110,000km.

If the new owner does not replace the necessary wear and tear parts, it may lead to fatality if for example, the brake cylinder leaks and results in brake failure, and a fatal accident.

Unfortunately in S’pore, the attitude of the relevant authorities is – don’t need to take action until something serious happens

Rule of thumb is best to avoid used cars that are used extensively  as private hire

-          Honda Vezel

-          Kia Cerato Forte K3

-          Toyota Altis / Prius / Vios

-          Mazda 3

-          Mitsubishi Lancer / Attrage

the problem lies with the tampering by these unscrupulous used car dealers. 

If there is no way of finding out the tampering, then getting the car fully checked before/after buying becomes very important. 

Since there has been successful lawsuits against tampering in Singapore, used car buyers should be able to take heart that they have recourse, provided they can get the servicing records from the ADs. (ADs should allow such requests for a nominal fee)

• Praise 1

(edited)

dealer will adjust the milleage below 20k per year

and TCSS low usage to make story believeable

Edited by Wt_know
  • Shocked 1

Turbocharged

The other side of the coin is because most people have bias against higher mileage cars

So why do people have this bias?

Both cars for sales about the same condition and same price. Just car A is high mileage and car B is normal mileage.

Both are genuine mileage.

What car would you choose?

The other side of the coin is because most people have bias against higher mileage cars

So why do people have this bias?

Because they themselves know that they don't maintain their car. Everything drag until cannot tahan then replace.

If I sell my car next time, will only go direct so new owner can receive my full service record from Day 1.

• Praise 1

Twincharged

Because they themselves know that they don't maintain their car. Everything drag until cannot tahan then replace.

If I sell my car next time, will only go direct so new owner can receive my full service record from Day 1.

All the direct owners will also Low ball like crazy? Just sell it for the best price.

Both cars for sales about the same condition and same price. Just car A is high mileage and car B is normal mileage.

Both are genuine mileage.

What car would you choose?

The one that has service records or is serviced regularly

And you find me two exact same condition then talk

Just sell to whoever that offer you the highest price
  • Praise 1

Twincharged
(edited)

then mean mileage stuff cannot be trust now lo

Yup when buy 2nd hand car don't even need to look at mileage as all had been adjusted.

So what you could do is to do some simple inspection.

1. Smell: if car smell funny be it interior or exterior, don't bother to buy that car.

2. Visual: open engine bonnet and check, the car age should corrospond with the engine bay condition. Example a 8 year old car, however when open engine bonnet, see the paint under the hoot, all sparking new, the air intake seems brand new.. And etc. This one have to be careful as it maybe high chance of front collision and thus so many things seems so new. A 8 year old car should look like a 8 year old car on engine bay. If it is not better skip this one.

Also to look for any oil marks, as oil leak will leave oil marks on paintwork. This is more apparent in engine bay. This is one of the indicator whether previous owner got take good care of the car or not.

Of coz also send car for inspection.

Edited by Yewheng
  • Praise 2

Supersonic

Yup when buy 2nd hand car don't even need to look at mileage as all had been adjusted.

So what you could do is to do some simple inspection.

1. Smell: if car smell funny be it interior or exterior, don't bother to buy that car.

2. Visual: open engine bonnet and check, the car age should corrospond with the engine bay condition. Example a 8 year old car, however when open engine bonnet, see the paint under the hoot, all sparking new, the air intake seems brand new.. And etc. This one have to be careful as it maybe high chance of front collision and thus so many things seems so new. A 8 year old car should look like a 8 year old car on engine bay. If it is not better skip this one.

Also to look for any oil marks, as oil leak will leave oil marks on paintwork. This is more apparent in engine bay. This is one of the indicator whether previous owner got take good care of the car or not.

Of coz also send car for inspection.

Also check for any re-weldings especially at the bare metal parts at the rear boot, plus rust. 

Twincharged

Also check for any re-weldings especially at the bare metal parts at the rear boot, plus rust.

Like that need to bring a touchlight along. Then when looking at that 2nd hand car, the car dealer will ask a question. "why bring touchlight along with you when looking for car are?" haha

Supersonic

Like that need to bring a touchlight along. Then when looking at that 2nd hand car, the car dealer will ask a question. "why bring touchlight along with you when looking for car are?" haha

Bro, your hp will have a touchlight function la.

Yes, I used it to even check the engine bay deep inside when I brought a second hand car back then. 

Supersonic

using phone torchlight to inspect car is a norm. 

I think we need stiffer punishments. 

Rotan for dealers who clock mileage. 

Put an end to this nonsense once and for all. 

:D

Let's not be tough on only chewing gum. 

Let's be tough on cheating dealers too. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1