2018 Toyota Supra

kdash

my impression of the supra was that it's meant to be like the GTR/NSX. very fast in an insane japanese way haha.

Not so much about being a sports coupe lol

Yup, apparently that was not the case for the Supra. Might be because of the influence from Fast and the Furious.

Supra was known to be like a Grand Touring 2-Door coupe. Comfortable, quiet and fast, but not exactly like the GTR/NSX.

It was heavy, especially at the front because the 2JZ is a heavy iron block (hence why the engine can take high horsepower loads with abit of tuning). Not only that, it was expensive, it would cost about USD 80,000 with today's money, which you can easily buy a Cayman in USA now.  The high price of the car, together with stricter emission standards, the car was eventually killed off.

Do correct me if I'm wrong  [:p] 

Actually you can watch this, very informative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqarV06DDWo

Edited by BlueSwifts
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

Fat hope. Co-developement between car makers might not be all good. The engineers will be wary of their rival and not let them know too much of their own know how. Bmw last co-develope with pug-citroen to produce the prince engine, it was crap.

In the news it seems like a match made in automotive heaven but is it?

Disagree on Prince engine is crap.

1.6L producing 184hp.  It is similar to BMW 320 & C200 HP.  Only short in torque as compared to 2L.

That engine was converted to RWD for 116/118/316/320ED.

Fat hope. Co-developement between car makers might not be all good. The engineers will be wary of their rival and not let them know too much of their own know how. Bmw last co-develope with pug-citroen to produce the prince engine, it was crap.

1998,BMW made the Rover 75,it is nice Car,but alot of things Spoilt very fast.

Nissan-Renault and Ford-Mazda have collaborated for years... 

Supersonic

CONFIRMED: New Toyota Supra Gets Inline-Six Engine

https://carbuzz.com/news/confirmed-new-toyota-supra-gets-inline-six-engine

The reborn Toyota Supra will make its dynamic debut at Goodwood this week.

437797.jpg

437796.jpg

There’s been a lot of speculation about the reborn Toyota Supra, but the Japanese automaker has finally confirmed the iconic sports car will stay “faithful to its distinguished heritage as a pure, sports car thoroughbred” by using a front-mounted inline-six engine, with power being sent exclusively to the rear wheels. No other details were revealed, but the six-cylinder unit is believed to be a BMW-sourced, turbocharged 3.0-liter engine tuned to deliver 335 horsepower and 369 lb-ft of torque.

The confirmation comes after Toyota revealed last week that the new Supra will make its first public appearance at the Goodwood Festival of Speed later this week. Ahead of its public debut, Toyota has released some new details about the car’s appearance, as well as a new teaser image of the Supra alongside its racecar counterpart, the GR Supra Racing Concept. As before, the car is covered in black, red, and white camouflage, representing the colors of the Toyota Gazoo Racing brand. Sadly, the camouflage won’t be coming off at Goodwood, because the car at the show will still be a prototype. Don’t think the Supra’s public debut will just be a static display, however.

Toyota confirmed the prototype will tackle the famous Goodwood Hillclimb course, marking the car’s dynamic debut. It will be driven by the Supra’s Chief Engineer Testuya Tada and Toyota’s “master driver” Herwig Daenens, a Dutch racer who has ties to Toyota’s European motorsports program. You’ll be able to see the Japanese sports car in action every day of the Goodwood Festival of Speed, which runs this week from July 11 to 15. Hopefully it will help ease the wait for the production-spec Supra’s arrival, as the Japanese sports car is expected to arrive in showrooms during the first half of next year.

The Toyota GR Supra Racing Concept, Yaris GRMN, multiple rally-winning Yaris WRC, and the Le Mans-winning TS050 Hybrid LMP1 racer will also be showcased at the event.

Word has gone around that the new Toyota Supra will have different grades, in line with their new strategy to tie in with the new motorsports division Gazoo Racing (GR)

In ascending order,

Base model 

GR Sports model - Cosmetic differences (bodykit, rims, interior trims etc) + Suspension tuning (lowered height etc)

GR model- Cosmetic + Suspension + Body bracing (strut bars, brace bars etc) + LSD + Enhanced braking performance (pads etc)

GRMN model - MN stands for Masters of Nurburgring. Cosmetic+Suspension+Body bracing+LSD+Exhaust+Big Brake Kit+Engine hp increase (such as supercharger for Europe Yaris GRMN or JDM Vitz GRMN) 

Edited by Lethalstrike
  • Praise 1

Word has gone around that the new Toyota Supra will have different grades, in line with their new strategy to tie in with the new motorsports division Gazoo Racing (GR)

In ascending order,

Base model

GR Sports model - Cosmetic differences (bodykit, rims, interior trims etc) + Suspension tuning (lowered height etc)

GR model- Cosmetic + Suspension + Body bracing (strut bars, brace bars etc) + LSD + Enhanced braking performance (pads etc)

GRMN model - MN stands for Masters of Nurburgring. Cosmetic+Suspension+Body bracing+LSD+Exhaust+Big Brake Kit+Engine hp increase (such as supercharger for Europe Yaris GRMN or JDM Vitz GRMN)

Hopefully the new Supra will be lethal striking good.

Supra needs a manual. I saw a news article on the blog here that mentioned they've designed one, but production is not confirmed.

I assume the engine will be the B58 like in my M140i? This actually has a manual option (though BMW M division here doesn't bring it in). But it's easy for Toyota to adopt. I don't see what the fuss is all about.

• Praise 1

Supra needs a manual. I saw a news article on the blog here that mentioned they've designed one, but production is not confirmed.

I assume the engine will be the B58 like in my M140i? This actually has a manual option (though BMW M division here doesn't bring it in). But it's easy for Toyota to adopt. I don't see what the fuss is all about.

Right hand drive markets are in luck, as Toyota intend to have a manual option for the Japan domestic market. 

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/09/26/toyota-supra-manual-transmission/

Engine wise, the B58 inline 6 should be the only available option with the Supra. With the B48 4 banger, it will be a sacrilege to name this car as a Supra.

Edited by Lethalstrike
  • Praise 2

Right hand drive markets are in luck, as Toyota intend to have a manual option for the Japan domestic market. 

Engine wise, the B58 inline 6 should be the only available option with the Supra. With the B48 4 banger, it will be a sacrilege to name this car as a Supra.

The Japanese really have "Lucky Striked", instead of "Lethal Striked".  :D

Past Supra are IL6.  Unlikely this tradition will be broken.

Since B58 is used, it is likely all version (except GRMN) is running the same hp as M140.

GRMN could be closer to Z4.

It will be a good Car,but the Price also will be very high...at least $300K for the 3.0.

SGD300k sounds reasonable compared to the GTR?