Rotation of tyres

Extremme

Can you share if base on all the steps you mention how much will the shop charge?

erm...$20?

:D

↡ Advertisement

provided the spare isn't a space-saver type

Yeah. Mine is a full sized spare. Even same rim. Motor Image where i send for servicing told me they don't practice that. Even though the car manual says so.

Now the 4 wheels already have 20k travelled. The spare wheel still untouched. Any recommendation?

Supercharged

Yeah. Mine is a full sized spare. Even same rim. Motor Image where i send for servicing told me they don't practice that. Even though the car manual says so.

Now the 4 wheels already have 20k travelled. The spare wheel still untouched. Any recommendation?

no choice, if want to put the spare into rotation then wait for next all change of tyres.

but only if the spare tyre is the same model as rest of the tyres;

it is not advisable to mix different models of tyres on the same axle.

Edited by Eyke
  • Praise 1

I personally don't recommend the 5 wheels rotation because is hard to equalize  the 5 wheel than 4 wheels.

so just leave the spare alone.

• Praise 1

torque wrench i've only seen in workshops, these are something new all together.

thanks, learnt about something new!

http://www.crashforensics.com/wheelandhubfailures.cfm

"Crashes caused by wheels coming off of vehicles are commonly referred to as wheel runoff crashes. Two primary failures cause wheel runoff crashes. One is a failure of the wheel mounting system, such as the wheel studs, lug nuts, etc. The other cause is a failure of the hub and wheel bearing assembly.

Wheel system failures are primarily caused by the improper installation of a wheel that causes it to be loose or become loose. Commonly, a loose wheel causes the wheels studs to break and the wheel and tire to separate from the vehicle. Many root causes lead to loose wheels, but most of them are associated with over-torquing or under-torquing the lug nuts.

Over-torquing is likely the most common wheel system failure due to the widespread use of impact wrenches to install wheels. Using an impact wrench to install wheels commonly causes the wheels to have 3 to 5 times the specified lug nut torque. 

Under-torquing is just simply not tightening the wheel lug nuts enough, causing the wheel to be loose. Under-torquing can be caused by corroded and damaged wheel system components. It can also be caused by using a cheap or worn-out impact wrench or by having a low air-pressure supply to an impact wrench."

thanks for sharing the infos.

it is common to see most WS or Tire WS using Air power or Pneumatic tool to fasten your wheels, and frankly speaking most wheels are over tightened because of Kiasu mentality (no feeling).

To WS Mech over tightened is better than under tightened ,But this over tightened could cause damage to the screw thread and only know this when next guy trying to loosen it.

Using Torque wrench is Ideal but it also boil down to proper setting of the Torque apply.

Manually Hand fasten is Quite a good Practice but it looks Low class to modern Society.

I once told the workshop supervisor to hand tighten the nuts as mine was Alu. KNN, when I reached earlier I saw the mechanics using gun. The work order sheet stated to hand tighten, so apparently workers cannot read English or bochup

I personally don't recommend the 5 wheels rotation because is hard to equalize the 5 wheel than 4 wheels.

so just leave the spare alone.

Yes i think make sense too.

I once told the workshop supervisor to hand tighten the nuts as mine was Alu. KNN, when I reached earlier I saw the mechanics using gun. The work order sheet stated to hand tighten, so apparently workers cannot read English or bochup

When they are using impact air wrenches - pl stand clear - as most of them are using standard sockets and NOT impact sockets.Standard sockets under intense turning and impact actions can easily break into pieces and shoot around like bullets.

Supercharged

some tyre shops you buy tyres from them you go back to them they will rotate free for you. 

some tyre shop u buy tyres from, u will never wanna go back ever again.

so i oso need recommendation where to rotate...

I recommend Guan Lee Tyre at Kaki Bukit. Look for the boss Mr Tay, he’s one man show anyway. Very friendly guy and good service.

$20.

http://m.sgcarmart.com/directory/merchant.php?MID=10438

Amaron battery also good price and he connect an external battery to power the car while changing. He doesn’t start and leave the engine running while changing.

Edited by Fcw75
  • Praise 1

I recommend Guan Lee Tyre at Kaki Bukit. Look for the boss Mr Tay, heâs one man show anyway. Very friendly guy and good service.

$20.

http://m.sgcarmart.com/directory/merchant.php?MID=10438

Amaron battery also good price and he connect an external battery to power the car while changing. He doesnât start and leave the engine running while changing.

$20 Rotation include balancing of how many tyres

Hypersonic

$20 Rotation include balancing of how many tyres

Should be front 2 only. 

If the front is running well and has been rotated to the rear, is there really a need to do rotation for the rear? 

↡ Advertisement