Cooking: All About Beef

chryst

Twincharged

any one got any grandma idea to soften the thawed frozen beef cubes from the supermarts ?

bought a 500gm pack, thawed it overnight. In the morning seasoned it and added about 2 tablespoons of tenderizer and put the bag in the fridge.

came back 6 hours later and cooked curry beef cubes over a  medium flame for almost 2 hours ... but still not tender.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

any one got any grandma idea to soften the thawed frozen beef cubes from the supermarts ?

bought a 500gm pack, thawed it overnight. In the morning seasoned it and added about 2 tablespoons of tenderizer and put the bag in the fridge.

came back 6 hours later and cooked curry beef cubes over a  medium flame for almost 2 hours ... but still not tender.

https://www.lazada.sg/products/fast-rapid-thawing-defrosting-tray-kitchen-safe-defrost-thaw-frozen-meat-food-intl-i156530691-s198297057.html?spm=a2o42.searchlist.list.1.587032d87I2dNP&search=1

post-1109-0-33982000-1522039038_thumb.png

Twincharged

I already thawed it overnight ... almost 10 hours in the kitchen sink ... at room temp ...

it was a bag of bloody meat cubes in the morning ... soft and tender to the human touch ...

then marinated for another 6 hours in the fridge ...

but when cooked, its not soft and tender to the mouth.

did it come alive again ?? :a-SOS:

I already thawed it overnight ... almost 10 hours in the kitchen sink ... at room temp ...

it was a bag of bloody meat cubes in the morning ... soft and tender to the human touch ...

then marinated for another 6 hours in the fridge ...

but when cooked, its not soft and tender to the mouth.

did it come alive again ?? :a-SOS:

actually cooked for 2 hours is not long enough, it take minimum 4-6 hours.

this one for beef stew take even longer  [sweatdrop]

https://www.mccormick.com/recipes/main-dishes/slow-cooker-beef-stew

Edited by Jman888
  • Praise 1

Twincharged

Thaw in fridge not room temperature. If don't want thaw, want to eat fast, buy fresh from butcher/supermarket. I bet the blood looked black in the morning.

But still not tender after cooking.. Even at room temp..

Twincharged

I said, do not thaw at room temperature.

So how long usually take to thaw frozen meat in the fridge? Coz I left my frozen steak in the fridge compartment for more than 8 hrs, come morning, still got ice particles on the meat...

Twincharged

24 hours also can. If you don't plan to cook all at once, you can pack them separately into smaller packets before freezing.

is the thawing process the main cause of my beef cubes being not tender when cooked ?

what other things should I take note of ?

I am thinking of displaying my cooking skills when I bring my wife 回娘家 ... but I should be using fresh beef there ...

is the thawing process the main cause of my beef cubes being not tender when cooked ?

what other things should I take note of ?

I am thinking of displaying my cooking skills when I bring my wife 回娘家 ... but I should be using fresh beef there ...

i think there is no short cut if you want the melt-in-your-mouth, the longer it cooks the more tender it will be.

Also depends on which part of the meat you use, the frozen cube from supermarket quite tough.

Edited by Jman888

any one got any grandma idea to soften the thawed frozen beef cubes from the supermarts ?

bought a 500gm pack, thawed it overnight. In the morning seasoned it and added about 2 tablespoons of tenderizer and put the bag in the fridge.

came back 6 hours later and cooked curry beef cubes over a medium flame for almost 2 hours ... but still not tender.

My grandma told me to to make meat soft use the metal hammer with the spikes.

To make the meat hard use ladies fingers.

:D

Twincharged

i think there is no short cut if you want the melt-in-your-mouth, the longer it cooks the more tender it will be.

Also depends on which part of the meat you use, the frozen cube from supermarket quite tough.

I also don't really know what cut of the meat they are using.

I am only guessing that those malay rendang stalls are using beef cubes but their beef comes out pretty nice.

should be beef knuckle meat also ?

My grandma told me to to make meat soft use the metal hammer with the spikes.

To make the meat hard use ladies fingers.

:D

I can understand the logic if it were a steak ... you hit the slice of meat ...

but how do you hit a cube ?? it won't remain a cube if you pound it like a slice of steak.

Twincharged

i'll be cooking bak kut teh also ... this one straight forward, just some prime ribs along with the premix and some garlic cloves and I am done.

then maybe herbal chicken using the premix powder to rub over the whole chicken and then just steam it and also easily done.

and then curry chicken also esay-peasy.

only beef and mutton got these issues ...

the cooking come in a curve i think.

cook a bit is soft.

then too long become hard.

then cook very long become soft again.

boon tong kee is cook a bit only.

jin ho jiak

no need any special tray. Just get an aluminium tray like the ones in toaster ovens. the bigger the better.

i'll be cooking bak kut teh also ... this one straight forward, just some prime ribs along with the premix and some garlic cloves and I am done.

then maybe herbal chicken using the premix powder to rub over the whole chicken and then just steam it and also easily done.

and then curry chicken also esay-peasy.

only beef and mutton got these issues ...

err i think u need to understand the basics of cooking.

The reasons these meats are tough/sinewy because they are cheap cuts.

U either braise them at least for 4 hours (preferably actually 6-8) or pressure cook them for a faster result. even pressure cooking will take few hours.

If u get the premium cuts of beef and mutton, then obviously it's a different story. And we don't use them for stew anyway. They will be used for on the bone lamb chops etc.

• Praise 1

Twincharged
Twincharged

any one got any grandma idea to soften the thawed frozen beef cubes from the supermarts ?

bought a 500gm pack, thawed it overnight. In the morning seasoned it and added about 2 tablespoons of tenderizer and put the bag in the fridge.

came back 6 hours later and cooked curry beef cubes over a medium flame for almost 2 hours ... but still not tender.

Low and slow is the way to go. If kiu chui sounds like overcooked liao. And should be on very low heat for your stewing process. The curry shouldn't bubble more than once every few minutes once any vegetables in there are softened. Got stir fry before putting into curry?

Depending on what you are cooking with it, you can thaw it with an acid like orange or lemon juice. This will break down the tendons.

One other way (if you not lazy) is cut it cross fiber. The NTUC cubes are quite large and can tahan 1-2 more cuts. Cross fiber means cutting across the natural meat grain. Makes for easier eating.

Twincharged

I bought this and thawed two pieces of beef at the same time. One with the board, one without. No difference!

kekkeekke ... this is like telling you put a spoiler on your car, it will gain 10 bhp !! heheheh !

** btw, you thaw where ? room temp or fridge ? is the result blacky or bloody ?

Low and slow is the way to go. If kiu chui sounds like overcooked liao. And should be on very low heat for your stewing process. The curry shouldn't bubble more than once every few minutes once any vegetables in there are softened. Got stir fry before putting into curry?

Depending on what you are cooking with it, you can thaw it with an acid like orange or lemon juice. This will break down the tendons.

One other way (if you not lazy) is cut it cross fiber. The NTUC cubes are quite large and can tahan 1-2 more cuts. Cross fiber means cutting across the natural meat grain. Makes for easier eating.

I used the tenderizing fluid (papaya based). the frozen cubes from supermarts are packed in 500gm per pack of 9 cubes.

after I marinated it, I brought it out and then cut them into smaller pieces ... like one cube into 3 pcs and then gave them a round in the frying pan till half cooked before I poured in the curry mix and let it boil on med flame.

• Praise 1

I bought this and thawed two pieces of beef at the same time. One with the board, one without. No difference!

Oh issit? I saw it on lazada but never tried before, seem like you quite an easy target for online shopping [laugh]
↡ Advertisement