To repair or not repair, AD or PI?

Minikong

hi guru,

my car today leaking black oil, garage call me said repair need 4k, ask me to abandon ship and change tot he new c 200, 

ad said no stock for thus year, need indent for 6 month, car time said got stock, rive away at 190k+ month end deliver, 

so what will u guys do? repair or dont repair, ad or pi?

↡ Advertisement

Repair is always the more sensible option.

i also think so but this year just repair, i spent around 3k plus already, plus till be 9 k, and dont know anything more anot

After the repairs, your car will be as good as brand new!

$ spent on repairs is still cheaper than a brand new car depreciation.

Only left 2 year , next might be engine mounting , Aircon compprseer and such

Left two more years, if you dont repair, how much dealer will take in your car? Scrap price? 

How much would you have to write off  if you do not repair? 

The amount you have to write off your car determines if you should spend 4K to repair, so you should go ask around how much your car would worth before making further decision. Mind sharing what car are you driving now ?

Left two more years, if you dont repair, how much dealer will take in your car? Scrap price?

How much would you have to write off if you do not repair?

The amount you have to write off your car determines if you should spend 4K to repair, so you should go ask around how much your car would worth before making further decision. Mind sharing what car are you driving now ?

Mini Cooper s , ya I am now asking around lol

$4k to fix engine oil leak!?

Wow ur workshop's parang sure is very sharp!

[knife]

Btw what car u drive?

hi guru,

my car today leaking black oil, garage call me said repair need 4k, ask me to abandon ship and change tot he new c 200, 

ad said no stock for thus year, need indent for 6 month, car time said got stock, rive away at 190k+ month end deliver, 

so what will u guys do? repair or dont repair, ad or pi?

• Praise 5

i also think so but this year just repair, i spent around 3k plus already, plus till be 9 k, and dont know anything more anot

Leak from where? How come last time not fixed?

$4k to fix engine oil leak!?

Wow ur workshop's parang sure is very sharp!

[knife]

Btw what car u drive?

Got to tear the whole engine down as it is the gear box and the engine there the seal leak , and some other replacement

Usually is the engine cam rocker cover gasket leakage. Need not strip down the whole engine. U hv any photo of the leakage?

Got to tear the whole engine down as it is the gear box and the engine there the seal leak , and some other replacement

Edited by Aaronlkl

Mini Cooper s , ya I am now asking around lol

Nice car.   Nearly bought a used one but last min the seller back off .

The problem is dealers may quote you paper value knowing the current condition for a lifestyle car like this.

Your write off for 2 years should be about $25k(depreciation). Theoretically, to save the 4k, you  will have to write off  25-4 = 21k after knocking off the repair that you would otherwise have to pay for.

If you spend 4k to repair it, you have a chance to drive it for  many more months. Even if you will have to do some other repair, would it cost more than the yearly depreciation? likelihood not. 

Alternatively, repair it and sell for some value, maybe 8k to 9k depreciation(my guess), you still get back some money, before you  go spend 190k to buy your new happiness.  If you want to repair, go ask another one or two workshop for a assessment. 

The whole consideration  hinges on  how much the car would fetch without repair .  

And once repaired, it takes away the time pressure from yourself so that you can think more logically  if you should buy from AD or PI. if  you dont repair, your leave yourself with only one option, that is only PI if you want a C200.  

Edited by Ct3833

Brother, my suggestion is you should go to other workshop to check and get second opinion before committing to $4K repair.  My previous Toyota car, 10 years ago also had an engine oil leaking detected and after checking it found that only the casket cover need to replace and only cost around $100+, unless your car have many other problems.

Wish you all the best.

• Praise 4

Your car i not sure.

But most car if between engine and gearbox leaking engine oil.

High chance is the flywheel oil seal.

Which wont cost much even if alot of labour to replace.

• Praise 1

Only left 2 year , next might be engine mounting , Aircon compprseer and such

My friend in the same situation ... He was offered  paper value for his Y2010 car. Driving on make more sense as depreciation will be lower compared to buying a new car.

However, do all your repairs now, you would have longer time to enjoy the car before scrapping it. 

↡ Advertisement