Now ADs cannot void your warranty!

Othello

Car dealers to remove warranty restrictions to allow independent workshops to compete

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/car-dealers-to-remove-warranty-restrictions-to-allow-independent-9488024

[bounce2]

SINGAPORE: Major car dealers have agreed to remove restrictions on warranties and related documents, announced the Competition Commission of Singapore (CCS) on Monday (Dec 11). 

The commission said this in a press release after concluding its inquiry into the supply of car parts in Singapore. The inquiry was carried out to better understand how the operations of the car parts market and the effects of market features of competition, CCS said. 

In its findings, CCS said it was concerned about dealers requiring customers to service or repair their vehicles exclusively at the respective dealers' authorised workshops, to ensure that the warranty remains valid. 

The restrictions allowed dealers to void warranties if the car had been service or repaired previously at an independent workshop. 

CCS said such restrictions deterred car owners from using independent workshops and thus the ability to compete effectively with authorised workshops. 

"To address this, CCS has raised its concerns with the major car dealers and have worked with them to remove the warranty restrictions from their car warranties and related documents," the commission said in the press release. 

Advertisement

All major car dealers have agreed to make the relevant changes to the warranty terms by CCS, it said. 

All agreed changes to the warranty terms for exsiting warranties and new warranties will be implemented by Dec 31. 

Another finding by CCS was that importation and wholesale distribution of car parts are generally competitive. Car parts can be obtained from a large number of suppliers located in Singapore and overseas, the commission said.  

While there is limited supply for parts which are replaced infrequently or that belong to niche models, CCS said this is due to the small number of buyers and sellers in the market.

CCS also found that technical information, equipment and diagnostic tools are generally available. This is despite car manufacturers and their authorised car dealers not supplying such inputs to independent workshops. 

"This is because independent workshops are generally able to gain access to viable alternatives such as those supplied by third-party equipment suppliers," said CCS. 

Edited by Othello
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 20

wow. this CCS is much more powerful than CASE.

VERY powerful. They have somewhat similar powers as CPIB. Can raid companies one hor.

Once CCS comes in, all companies very scared. 

This is indeed GOOD NEWS!!!! [bounce2]

but I got 5 years free servicing. [:p][laugh][laugh]

Actually even if I got free 5yrs serving, I may still want to go to outside workshop service as sometimes outside workshop service and knowledge is a lot better then their own car service centre.

• Praise 2

CCS approached and obtained the cooperation of the following car dealers that are authorised distributors for the respective car brands shown in parentheses: Alpine Motors Pte. Ltd. (Chevrolet), Borneo Motors (Singapore) Pte. Ltd. (Toyota and Lexus), Cycle & Carriage Industries Pte. Ltd. (Citroen, KIA, Mercedes Benz and Mitsubishi), Eurokars Group of Companies (Porsche, Mazda and MINI), Kah Motor Co. Sdn. Bhd. (Honda), Komoco Motors Pte. Ltd. (Hyundai), Motor Image Enterprises Pte. Ltd. (Subaru), Performance Motors Ltd. (BMW), and Tan Chong Motor Sales Pte. Ltd. (Nissan). CCS also obtained the cooperation with respect to the warranty restrictions for Suzuki cars through Borneo Motors (Singapore) Pte. Ltd., which is under the Inchcape Group of UK. CCS understands from information provided by Volkswagen Group Singapore Pte. Ltd. (Volkswagen) and Premium Automobiles Pte. Ltd. (Audi) that there are no such restrictions in the warranties. The car brands that these car dealers distribute made up more than 90% of cars in Singapore in 2016.

• Praise 5

Actually even if I got free 5yrs serving, I may still want to go to outside workshop service as sometimes outside workshop service and knowledge is a lot better then their own car service centre.

you rich mah, I poor peasant got free one must make full use lah.  -_-  [laugh]  [laugh]

Very interesting but the devil is in the details and whether the AD will deny liability due to poorly installed or fake parts ..

BTW TS you have a spelling error in your title ..

• Praise 2

Car dealers to remove warranty restrictions to allow independent workshops to compete

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/car-dealers-to-remove-warranty-restrictions-to-allow-independent-9488024?cid=FBcna

next time buy new cars dun need scare cannot go outside service liao

(i hope)

bro, you slower by 15 min, 

http://www.mycarforum.com/topic/2706922-now-ads-cannot-void-yout-warranty/

@pchou, @babyblade, @kobayashigt, merge?  [:p]  [laugh]  [laugh]

this type of news is good news to all!!!

• Praise 2

I agree with you. You could find trainee in the in-hse workshop which cant compare to experts outside workshop..

Very interesting but the devil is in the details and whether the AD will deny liability due to poorly installed or fake parts ..

you indeed have sharp eyes ... lol

• Praise 1

So the onus is on car owners to decide which workshop to use, and when to bring back to AD. For eg, simple stuff can do outside. Oil change hardly can go wrong. And of course best to use original parts.

I know, but cannot edit  :mellow:

Edited by Othello