Dakota Crescent The Last Resident of 2017

carloverguy2017

Who is the last resident of the deserted Dakota Crescent estate ?

One of Singapore’s oldest housing estates built by Singapore Improvement Trust (SIT), the housing authority before the Housing and Development Board (HDB), in 1958. 

Today, there are only 15 remaining blocks. These low-rise flats are located at Old Airport Road, right next to Mountbatten Mass Rapid Transit (MRT) station.

In 2014, Dakota Crescent is being earmarked for redevelopments under Mountbatten’s estate renewal plan and residents are expected to relocate by the end of 2016.

The last few residents in Dakota Crescent is none other than ... ... ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evbpBvKgDuU&t=12s

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Nice place but sad that this area will be demolish and disappear forever. But the Dakota Crescent will be develop into HDB in future.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/dakota-crescent-to-be-redeveloped-into-public-housing-site-9488216

Actually they preserved 6 blocks (even nos.10-20) and the iconic playground which is frankly much more than anybody expected. One issue i understand was that the lifts there are those first generation lifts which can hold 5-6 persons at most and the parts of these lifts are not available anymore so I’m not sure what they going to do with the lifts. I don’t think they can retrofit a new lift of this size cos they don’t make so small lifts anymore.

Anyway, kudos to the authorities for having the foresight to preserve part of the estate as otherwise, we would not have much heritage left as new buildings sprout up so quickly in their place.

Edited by Spring
  • Praise 4

So who are the last few residents?

I didn't see a single person in the video.  [confused]

Think could be those cats you see in the video?!  :huh:

Actually they preserved 6 blocks (even nos.10-20) and the iconic playground which is frankly much more than anybody expected. One issue i understand was that the lifts there are those first generation lifts which can hold 5-6 persons at most and the parts of these lifts are not available anymore so I’m not sure what they going to do with the lifts. I don’t think they can retrofit a new lift of this size cos they don’t make so small lifts anymore.

Anyway, kudos to the authorities for having the foresight to preserve part of the estate as otherwise, we would not have much heritage left as new buildings sprout up so quickly in their place.

Are they going to preserved some of the blocks there as well? Thought they only going to preserve the playground area? Although the article did mentioned central cluster of buildings will be retained but never say which block? Bus even they retained some of the blocks, also wonder what will they going to do with them since it is at least seven storey high building?

Edited by 13177

Think could be those cats you see in the video?! :huh:

Are they going to preserved some of the blocks there as well? Thought they only going to preserve the playground area? Although the article did mentioned central cluster of buildings will be retained but never say which block? Bus even they retained some of the blocks, also wonder what will they going to do with them since it is at least seven storey high building?

Yes total of 6 blocks will be conserved. I attached a map from last Tues ST showing which blocks will be conserved. Basically it’s the 4 blocks surrounding the playground n another 2 which represents the various housing types offered in Dakota Crescent.

post-48108-0-92690300-1513310621_thumb.png

• Praise 3

In all my life, I never been there. LOL.

Nobody go there if you dont stay there or know anyone staying there la. I only go there when i hear news that this area is tearing down and after watching the Big Hero channel 8 drama series, then i go down to look see look see.  [laugh]

Edited by 13177

Think could be those cats you see in the video?! :huh:

How can be the cats?

Then how about the ants, mozzies, flies, 小强s, etc?

Can add up to tons of residents.

Yes total of 6 blocks will be conserved. I attached a map from last Tues ST showing which blocks will be conserved. Basically it’s the 4 blocks surrounding the playground n another 2 which represents the various housing types offered in Dakota Crescent.

Good to hear the blocks surrounding the playground will be retained, the design of such flats can no longer be found here liao. There are two other blocks also retained for other purpose, so overall many blocks in this area are conserved. Only those low rise blocks will be gone.

Good to hear the blocks surrounding the playground will be retained, the design of such flats can no longer be found here liao. There are two other blocks also retained for other purpose, so overall many blocks in this area are conserved. Only those low rise blocks will be gone.

Actually block 12 is a low rise 2 storey block. It housed the provision shop Tian Kee & Co. which was turned into a cafe by an entrepreneurial young couple who retained the shop name n reinstated the signboard.

It was also the block which was shown prominently in the Ch 8 show Hero n the concluding episode where all the cast gathered was shot from that shop on the ground floor of block 12.

• Praise 5

Actually block 12 is a low rise 2 storey block. It housed the provision shop Tian Kee & Co. which was turned into a cafe by an entrepreneurial young couple who retained the shop name n reinstated the signboard.

It was also the block which was shown prominently in the Ch 8 show Hero n the concluding episode where all the cast gathered was shot from that shop on the ground floor of block 12.

Think the only 2 storey block that will be retained in this cluster, since this block 12 is also quite unique. Actually the channel 8 show hero, they got use one of the unit above to shot, also blk 18 they used few units to shot.

Think might be worth giving them feedback to get those tiny elevators that HK uses. At least still can get parts for those, and have the lifts operational.

You are right to say all these creatures are the last resident at Dakota Crescent lo. Esp now if you go there, confirmed there are lots of mozzies and cats.

While filming at location, there was a heart-warming scene of a old chinese lady calling out to all the furry felines. She had names for these cats ! She brought cat food ( not left overs of human food ) for these few cats. 

I'm not sure after retention of these blocks, what do they plan to do ? Turn them into some neighbourhood stores ?

I'm pretty sure the same place won't look as rustic and peaceful as today after the government commercialize it.

Luckily I was able to capture the original scenery of these blocks and the playground. 

Well, at least after a few years, we can come back and compare how much had change with my video in the Youtube.

Nobody go there if you dont stay there or know anyone staying there la. I only go there when i hear news that this area is tearing down and after watching the Big Hero channel 8 drama series, then i go down to look see look see.  [laugh]

I have a distance relative who lived there. 

It's really a very quiet and peaceful place.

I was there many years back, very laid back, no traffic noise, no crowded street, just whispering of the birds and trees.

But that's mostly living quarters for very poor residents, mostly old single folks.

That lift, was superbly tiny. I'm sure a obese man would have trouble getting it. 

I didn't properly capture the exterior of the lift from the video, but honestly, it look like a vertical coffin going up and down.

I won't dare to take it  even if it is working.

You can catch a glimpse of the lift door and buttons from my Yourube at 2:17 minutes.

A lift with no glass windows. You don't know what's going on inside until the lift door open.  

Oh ya there's some holes on the door.. so you don't suffocate if the lift breaks down ..haha !

post-184364-0-89020100-1513665198_thumb.jpg

Edited by carloverguy2017
↡ Advertisement