Electrician lobang?

dcb

Haha its liddat one. Everyone think circuit breaker can't spoil one.

Even until electrician come down and confirm, then I convinced circuit breaker was spoil.

All this isolation is any guy also know one lah....

I think its the general perception of the industry. Everyone is scared of them pulling a fast one, cos most people know nothing about electricity or plumbing. 

Your last sentence ..... many people (guys) don't know one lor  [laugh]  

They are generally quite reliable. When they break it could be due to something else in the circuit got problem. It's like fever is normal but fever never come down could be due to something else.

you are right ! ELCB or RCCB hardly spoils, can last a loooong time. But sometimes it just happens .........  [laugh]

↡ Advertisement

Supersonic

even have neighbour who can help, he may not have the parts :D

this type of money is bo bian one. After office hours sure kenna ketok. I'm fine with them charging a After Office Hours charge, I'm just not ok with them marking up the parts exorbitantly.

A few months ago one of my above ceiling heaters stopped working, the problem was the heater has a two way switch between two different floors, I got my electrician friend to trace for nearly 2 hours to realise that it was a blown switch. He charged me $80 for part and labor, I gave him $100 and said balance buy him kopi. At times of need, money may not be able to buy an immediate solution.
  • Praise 1

A few months ago one of my above ceiling heaters stopped working, the problem was the heater has a two way switch between two different floors, I got my electrician friend to trace for nearly 2 hours to realise that it was a blown switch. He charged me $80 for part and labor, I gave him $100 and said balance buy him kopi. At times of need, money may not be able to buy an immediate solution.

The faulty light switch still lighted up ? 

• Praise 1

Supersonic

The faulty light switch still lighted up ?

You are spot on, know what you were thinking. but the light was on, it is why we did not suspect the switch. Strangely, behind that switch has 6 ports which I dont understand why , he changed for me to a 4 ports one.

Hypersonic

I also spend over $200 once when the mcb refuse to reset back after unplugging all appliances. And it was a Saturday nite.

I have checked, to change the component ownself would cost less than $50. But when dealing with high voltage without mcb to protect you, I rather pay the money for the certified electrician. Saturday pay more, gladly.

• Praise 4

Hypersonic

I also spend over $200 once when the mcb refuse to reset back after unplugging all appliances. And it was a Saturday nite.

I have checked, to change the component ownself would cost less than $50. But when dealing with high voltage without mcb to protect you, I rather pay the money for the certified electrician. Saturday pay more, gladly.

I admit I am quite paranoid. Short of changing 2 pin to 3 pin plug head, My philosophy is throw away any appliance suspected of electrical issues or call electrician.

Cos my grandaunt (my grandma youngest sister) became a widow 70 days after her wedding. Her husband was an electrical worker back in the 60s or 70s and got electrocuted.

• Praise 1

Hypersonic
(edited)

I admit I am quite paranoid. Short of changing 2 pin to 3 pin plug head, My philosophy is throw away any appliance suspected of electrical issues or call electrician.

Cos my grandaunt (my grandma youngest sister) became a widow 70 days after her wedding. Her husband was an electrical worker back in the 60s or 70s and got electrocuted.

So sad to hear that. I also kenna shocked twice in my life, when as a boy, played with electric socket and the other time was building a diy amp and snip the power line forgotten that it was connected live. The feeling is like a strong vibration and numbing feeling in the hand. Now got family, and kia si to the extend of changing for a healthier lifestyle, I would not risk any of this.

In the 60s / 70s, got no circuit breaker one. Very dangerous. In the most recent case where the electrician conveniently used a 13A socket for a water heater (chow chow peak at 15-20A) which overheated, and caused teenager to be electrocuted. Normally the circuit breaker would kick in and prevent substantial injuries, but the circuit breaker was also faulty.

Wah this case I wonder if it is the same electrician who fixed the circuit breaker and water heater for the family. Looks like a sloppy job. Edited by Ender

Hypersonic

So sad to hear that. I also kenna shocked twice in my life, when as a boy, played with electric socket and the other time was building a diy amp and snip the power line forgotten that it was connected live. The feeling is like a strong vibration and numbing feeling in the hand. Now got family, and kia si to the extend of changing for a healthier lifestyle, I would not risk any of this.

Wah this case I wonder if it is the same electrician who fixed the circuit breaker and water heater for the family. Looks like a sloppy job.

2 yrs back. Same experience.

My toilet mirrors r custom made, got a small concealed flourescent tube to give indirect lighting. Once the connection was loose and light didn't work. So I reconnected it back properly with switch off. So working.

Then without thinking, I reached to push the lighted flourescent tube back into the alcove with my hand damp after washing hands (cos tube damn dusty) .

Yes... Felt the same feeling like you. Zap and felt the tingling for like twenty seconds after.

Realised I could have died for such a stupid thing cos I touched the light tube without thinking. I broke out into cold sweat after that. Such a silly mistake to make.

• Praise 2

Hypersonic

In the 60s / 70s, got no circuit breaker one. Very dangerous. In the most recent case where the electrician conveniently used a 13A socket for a water heater (chow chow peak at 15-20A) which overheated, and caused teenager to be electrocuted. Normally the circuit breaker would kick in and prevent substantial injuries, but the circuit breaker was also faulty.

Ha issit. I dunno when circuit breakers came into common usage.

My friends condo also suddenly Db box area suddenly smoke coming out. Arcing between wires...

As far as I can recall, only in the 80's then it became the norm or regulatory requirement.

I can confirm that. My current place was built in 1970. From the meter out and direct to flat liao. Only two black breaker, one for the 3 pin plug another for all the light switches. Also absolutely no grounding at all.

Asked the electrician to rewired the whole flat during reno. He was also shocked that there was no grounding. Looks like standards in 1960 to 1970 was different from now.

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

That is why getting friendly neighbors to help with wiring and mcb problem is not a good idea.

Getting a neighbor uncle who happens to be a qualified electrician to help would not be a bad idea.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Side-track a bit.  What are the courses and exams one must take before he can become a qualified electrician (LEW)?  How long is the course duration and how much is the course fee? 

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

If you got faulty water heater please don't throw away.

I need one for my MIL place.

I am not those cheapo want everything free type.

I will even give you $100 for it

And if it is in really bad condition frayed wires or water leaking into the circuit board itself I can make it $250.

:D

Save my world

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

Getting a neighbor uncle who happens to be a qualified electrician to help would not be a bad idea.

Having a license electrician as your neighbor is rare. What is more common is having neighbor with some electric background who is ke Kiang to help you save money. Saw at edwm thread quite a few knowledgeable member advocating saving money to change the mcb ownself. Seriously I will not try what they are teaching. It's not like you have to fix your mcb at regular interval.
↡ Advertisement