2018 Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross

Stratovarius

have some time now to share my last week driving experience to Genting Highland.

as shared earlier the EC FC is not the best. 

based on actual refilled up to full tank method, 

load: 2 adult, 1 big size luggage, 1 backpack bag

first half journey johor->ampang

refilled to full tank at kulai shell on nswh, next refilled to full tank at shell before entering karak highway leading to genting highland.

journey ~300km

70% highway 130~140km/hr (occasionally acceleration up to 150 km/hr)

20% highway 110~120km/hr

10% city with traffic

actual fuel consumption calculated = ~11.9 km/L

second half journey ampang->genting highland (include uphill & downhill)->johor

refilled to full tank at shell near pelangi johor.

journey ~422km

5% uphill

5% downhill

10% city with traffic

60% highway 120~130km/hr (occasionally acceleration up to 140 km/hr)

20% highway 110~120km/hr

actual fuel consumption calculated= ~11.0 km/L

hope potential EC buyer do take note if fc is one of your major consideration. 

======================

engine rpm

140km/hr @ ~2800rpm

120km/hr @ ~2200rpm

======================

turbo charged engine with high torque at low rpm does help during uphill. 

it seem ECU manage it ~3000rpm, and CVT played with its infinite ratio the uphill was tackle with ease. Does not feel the loss of torque like previous 1.6 NA engine with convention gearbox when it shifting to next gear during the uphill task. 

as for downhill you will appreciate the paddle shift, i used engine braking method by downshifting + brake assist.

Being the CVT with controlled 8 speed ratio, the each ratio steps are narrower. That translate on each downshifting you feel less sudden slow down surge, instead it feel more smooth slow down by engine braking with rpm managed in region 3000~3500rpm. 

above my experience and observation for your info.. 

thanks! 

This is very useful info.

I'm surprised that the trip to Genting gives a somewhat non-inspiring FC.

Wife is v interested in the car and we might book it in the coming weekend, but this news is a dampener.

If going to Genting with so much 80-90% highway only gives 11-11.9 km/L, then the city traffic that we're expecting to do on a day-to-day basis, will likely be quite bad?

Just for comparison, for my current vehicle, my av/running FC is 10.7 km/L. On my normal day school runs in the mornings, when I'm on maybe 80-90% highway on a ~28 km trip, I can get ~14-15 km/L. However, when I knock off from work and it's peak hours for a short 5 km trip home with lots of traffic lights, it can go down to as bad as 6 km/L.

When we went to Malacca in July, there was massive jams on the way out, and it took 8+ hr to reach SG. The av FC of 10.7 km/L remained unchanged after the trip. I think it would have been better if not because of the massive jams.

Read in the thread on Seat Arona that a trip to KL/Genting gave ~20 km/L... That's a big difference [sweatdrop]

Have you ever did a mostly-highway trip and tracked the FC of the trip? Would it show much better FC?

↡ Advertisement

The FC of EC as mentioned by bro here is similar to my current C5 THP 1.6 engine. I personally feel that if one is looking for good FC, especially of a SUV, than should look for hybrid or diesel rides. A friend of mine is driving a CHR hybrid and I noticed that the pick up is no where near EC although it is a 1.8 engine. I guess it's really difficult to have a really good power engine and yet very good FC. If one has heavy right foot, it may also cause the low FC too I think. Just my personal opinion

have some time now to share my last week driving experience to Genting Highland.

refilled to full tank at kulai shell on nswh, next refilled to full tank at shell before entering karak highway leading to genting highland.

journey ~300km

20% highway 110~120km/hr

10% city with traffic

journey ~422km

5% uphill

5% downhill

10% city with traffic

60% highway 120~130km/hr (occasionally acceleration up to 140 km/hr)

20% highway 110~120km/hr

======================

engine rpm

140km/hr @ ~2800rpm

120km/hr @ ~2200rpm

======================

it seem ECU manage it ~3000rpm, and CVT played with its infinite ratio the uphill was tackle with ease. Does not feel the loss of torque like previous 1.6 NA engine with convention gearbox when it shifting to next gear during the uphill task.

as for downhill you will appreciate the paddle shift, i used engine braking method by downshifting + brake assist.

Being the CVT with controlled 8 speed ratio, the each ratio steps are narrower. That translate on each downshifting you feel less sudden slow down surge, instead it feel more smooth slow down by engine braking with rpm managed in region 3000~3500rpm.

thanks!

Although bro Contipro's trip was a long ride comprised of 80% highway drive and it should be able to get a better mileage. However, I noticed his avg speed clocked was ard 130-140km/hr. I think this could be the reason for the not so efficient fc. Below is a link on fuel efficient driving:

https://learn.eartheasy.com/guides/fuel-efficient-driving/

This is the extract of the above link:

Avoid Speeding

Increasing your highway cruising speed from 55mph (90km/h) to 75mph (120km/h) can raise fuel consumption as much as 20%. You can improve your gas mileage 10 – 15% by driving at 55mph rather than 65mph (104km/h). Natural Resources Canada puts the “sweet spot” for most cars, trucks, and SUVs even lower, between 30 mph (50 km/h) and 50 mph (80 km/h).

Note how quickly efficiency drops

This is very useful info.

I'm surprised that the trip to Genting gives a somewhat non-inspiring FC.

Wife is v interested in the car and we might book it in the coming weekend, but this news is a dampener.

If going to Genting with so much 80-90% highway only gives 11-11.9 km/L, then the city traffic that we're expecting to do on a day-to-day basis, will likely be quite bad?

Just for comparison, for my current vehicle, my av/running FC is 10.7 km/L. On my normal day school runs in the mornings, when I'm on maybe 80-90% highway on a ~28 km trip, I can get ~14-15 km/L. However, when I knock off from work and it's peak hours for a short 5 km trip home with lots of traffic lights, it can go down to as bad as 6 km/L.

When we went to Malacca in July, there was massive jams on the way out, and it took 8+ hr to reach SG. The av FC of 10.7 km/L remained unchanged after the trip. I think it would have been better if not because of the massive jams.

Read in the thread on Seat Arona that a trip to KL/Genting gave ~20 km/L... That's a big difference [sweatdrop]

Have you ever did a mostly-highway trip and tracked the FC of the trip? Would it show much better FC?

Nope I don't track my mileage on regular basic.

I think generally I score around 12km/L on Singapore usage with 80%highway 20%city.

Although bro Contipro's trip was a long ride comprised of 80% highway drive and it should be able to get a better mileage. However, I noticed his avg speed clocked was ard 130-140km/hr. I think this could be the reason for the not so efficient fc. Below is a link on fuel efficient driving:

https://learn.eartheasy.com/guides/fuel-efficient-driving/

That could be the reasons, I just can't possibility stay at 110km/h or less in such long journey ride, my right foot very itchy, ha ha..

However considering the rpm still low below 3000rpm it does not translate to fuel saving.

Only benefitted a quite ride..

journey ~300km

20% highway 110~120km/hr

10% city with traffic

journey ~422km

5% uphill

5% downhill

10% city with traffic

20% highway 110~120km/hr

======================

engine rpm

140km/hr @ ~2800rpm

120km/hr @ ~2200rpm

======================

thanks!

I like the responsiveness of EC, especially the willingness to accelerate without perceivable turbo lag. Unfortunately, during my test drive, it was still expensive at >120k sgd.

I like the responsiveness of EC, especially the willingness to accelerate without perceivable turbo lag. Unfortunately, during my test drive, it was still expensive at >120k sgd.

There is a review on EC on Sgcarmart saying that the EC lack of power and can't overtake at ease.. I am puzzled as most reviews said otherwise. The only reason might be he was trying to overtake a F1 car..

A turbo engine + a heavy right foot is about the worst combination for FC.  And if you frequently drive at 130 kph (which means frequent full throttle to build up speed and overtake) plus doing the Genting stretch, these 2 factors would definitely raise the FC.  SUVs are generally heavy (vs saloons) and have poor aerodynamics; these tend to raise the FC too.  

There is a review on EC on Sgcarmart saying that the EC lack of power and can't overtake at ease.. I am puzzled as most reviews said otherwise. The only reason might be he was trying to overtake a F1 car..

Agree.

EC has same torque 250nm as to new C180 and more torque than older C180 at 220nm.

Agree.

EC has same torque 250nm as to new C180 and more torque than older C180 at 220nm.

Another possibility might be the Eco mode was on when he tested the EC. He mentioned sluggish to overtake and poor pick up which I seriously has doubt.
  • Praise 1

For those who have owned the EC for a while already, do you know how much engine oil is required for each replacement during servicing?

Also, is the booking for servicing all right - can book servicing appt with just one week's notice/period?

Thanks.

For those who have owned the EC for a while already, do you know how much engine oil is required for each replacement during servicing?

Also, is the booking for servicing all right - can book servicing appt with just one week's notice/period?

Thanks.

Not sure about the oil since with warranty and free 3 yrs servicing just bring in to C & C.

They have an app (C & C app) for booking its pretty simple to use and it tracks for cash voucher and type of services you are entitled to. Depending on your timing/service center usually a week is is enough for weekday and morning slot but i assume holiday season might take need to book earlier.

Not sure about the oil since with warranty and free 3 yrs servicing just bring in to C & C.

They have an app (C & C app) for booking its pretty simple to use and it tracks for cash voucher and type of services you are entitled to. Depending on your timing/service center usually a week is is enough for weekday and morning slot but i assume holiday season might take need to book earlier.

[thumbsup]

Thanks!

Btw, what freebies would C&C (and the SE) typically give for the car?

Quite likely will take the plunge soon... [laugh]

Hi Bro

Thanks for your feedback. Will be collecting my EC next week and then will be doing my regular trips up north... so the info is very useful, thanks.

journey ~300km

20% highway 110~120km/hr

10% city with traffic

journey ~422km

5% uphill

5% downhill

10% city with traffic

20% highway 110~120km/hr

======================

engine rpm

140km/hr @ ~2800rpm

120km/hr @ ~2200rpm

======================

thanks!

The EC is pretty good for its class. It will overtake any normal NA 1.6-2L car with relative ease. 0-100 is 9+s, which is just slightly slower than the Hyundai Tucson 1.6L Turbo. So far, I'm quite pleased with the acceleration. Like someone else mentioned, the Eco mode could be culprit. With it enabled, acceleration is much more muted. Of course, it's no match for the original Eclipse, and I have owned a 2G Eclipse GS-T before. However, that's a totally different comparison.

Edited by Galapogos

Congrats bro! Maybe you would share your experience with the EC driving up north too... maybe different style of driving will have different FC on the EC. Once again, congrats! I am still waiting for my SC to inform me when I can collect mine

Hi Bro

Thanks for your feedback. Will be collecting my EC next week and then will be doing my regular trips up north... so the info is very useful, thanks.

journey ~300km
20% highway 110~120km/hr
10% city with traffic

journey ~422km
5% uphill
5% downhill
10% city with traffic
20% highway 110~120km/hr

======================

engine rpm
140km/hr @ ~2800rpm
120km/hr @ ~2200rpm

======================

thanks!

Yeah, I do agree that the EC pick up and acceleration is good. In fact, it is way better than my C5 THP during my test drive. That's one of the reason I order the EC.

The EC is pretty good for its class. It will overtake any normal NA 1.6-2L car with relative ease. 0-100 is 9+s, which is just slightly slower than the Hyundai Tucson 1.6L Turbo. So far, I'm quite pleased with the acceleration. Like someone else mentioned, the Eco mode could be culprit. With it enabled, acceleration is much more muted. Of course, it's no match for the original Eclipse, and I have owned a 2G Eclipse GS-T before. However, that's a totally different comparison.

[thumbsup]

Thanks!

Btw, what freebies would C&C (and the SE) typically give for the car?

Quite likely will take the plunge soon... [laugh]

Other then car trade in bonus, 3 yrs service, warranty.

There is umbrella and tonneau cover (i think is now part of standard package).

DVR Camera (i think also standard now)

Service voucher $1000

Zertona Ceramic paint protection.

↡ Advertisement