2018 Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross

Stratovarius

Thanks for the detailed review. [thumbsup]

Your car should be the first batch on the roads. Hope to see your new Eclipse Cross on the roads soon.

I think u need to go oz to see his eclipse.
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Thanks for the detailed review.  [thumbsup]

Your car should be the first batch on the roads. Hope to see your new Eclipse Cross on the roads soon.

Sure or not you read his review? Ppl say OZ leh.. [smash]

Too much cai peng lah.

• Praise 1

COE drop, most Mit model price reduction except eclipse cross, seem like this model selling well and cnc know there is demand hence maintain same price even COE price drop.

NNoott sslleeeepp eennoouugghh

No dramas, Bruv. 

I got the car because of the Mitsubishi off-road heritage (think Paris-Dakar) and reputation for reliability. Darwin's weather is as harsh as Singapore with the heat, humidity and flooding. I see 20 year old Pajeros chugging along and have yet to encounter any Mitsubishi 4X4 dumped at the side of the highway.

The striking looks of the car turned my head away from Outlander and Pajero, plus the packaging. I'd market the Cross as more of a softroader with high ground clearance (185mm) where you can occasionally go through kampong roads on the trip up to Malaysia. 

COE drop, most Mit model price reduction except eclipse cross, seem like this model selling well and cnc know there is demand hence maintain same price even COE price drop.

It's a new model. Cnc does not want to devalue it. Edited by RogerNg_185295

Got it. Been driving the AWD version (I'm a SGean living in Oz) of the Cross for the past week so I can give a bit of insight into the car. Just don't ask how much I bought the car unless you wanna experience heartache.

Build quality/Exterior:

Solid build quality as you'd expect from a Japanese made car. One of the forumers mentioned of the light car door and I do not disagree, but not exactly something that'd be niggling as the doors close easily. Otherwise, I can find no faults on the exterior. They slapped on a nudge bar on mine so it looks more bad-ass (and I can kill me some dingoes). Check out their accessories list so you can pimp it up a bit. The double sunroof is pretty nifty also although its more aesthetic pleasing than anything else.

Interior/Boot/Comfort:

I went shopping and compared it against Tiguan/Golf Alltrack, CX-5 and X-Trail and the interior is something you wouldn't expect from a Mitsubishi or this particular segment at this price range. It looks very refined and classy with the orange threads on the leather seats and trim, gloss trims on the dashboard/console and faux carbon fibre trims on the door. The Outlander and Pajero Sport, which I had also considered, paled in comparison. So far, my wife and daughters mentioned that the seats are more comfortable than the Tiguan that I last drove. I like the fact that the rear seats can move 200mm. My daughters are not exactly tall so I could move the seats a fair bit and gain more boot space. I managed to stash a big picnic towel and a large tarp at the crevice created by moving the seats. Driver ergonomics is also good with the high riding position. I'm a bit miffed with the position of the two USB ports though. Phone is rather intrusive against the gear stick. Make sure you get a short mobile phone cable. Also, the rear seats don't fold down completely but it shouldn't detract it's functionality. More like an eyesore really.

Technology/Entertainment:

I got the top-of-the-range model so all the available technology was in store. Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane Departure Warning, AEB, Sensor headlights/wipers, auto dipping high beam. Still getting used to all the technology and the ACC can be a bit scary at times. Even the base model has a decent amount of tech thrown in. Seamless connectivity with iOS or Android. Australian models come with a cool Lexus-esque touchpad though. 

Ride Quality/Engine:

For an SUV, the ride is a bit firm. Even though I'm picking up a fair amount of shitty Darwin road deformities, it does not adversely affect steering. You can feel a bit of roll on sweeping roads at cruising speeds but that's to be expected from a high riding SUV. But otherwise, it feels very planted. Steering response is precise. Now it took me a while to get used to the CVT but now I'm having a bit more fun. Maximum torque comes early and overtaking is a breeze. It feels quicker than the claimed 9.7 sec century sprint but you have to bear in mind that this is not a sporty car despite the coupe heritage. I've taken her to 120km/h but that's about it as she's still running in. Linear delivery of power off the lights until about cruising speeds. I would go so far to say that the CVT's uninspiring but it's not raising pulses either. But I would say its a significant improvement over other CVTs that I've driven. And the 1.5 liter turbo engine pulls its weight and does what is required without fuss.

Packaging/Pricing:

I don't know what C&C is offering but the Oz dealers are aggressively pushing the Cross. Rumour has it that the production of ASXs and Outlanders were halted temporarily to push the Cross out to North American, Australian and European markets. My friend's brand new ASX was delayed for a month. The dealers are throwing in a $700 nudge bar here with all the usual freebies of upgraded carpets and weathershield. The dealer called me up and handed me a goody bag yesterday with Eclipse Cross monogrammed items such as caps, powerbank, pen, picnic blanket and key chain. I reckon C&C would be throwing in a fair deal of goodies also. For the price I'm paying here, I would say its a good deal when I compare it against top-of-the-line segment mainstays like the CX-5, X-Trail, Highline Tiguan or Outlander.

Overall:

Although it's early days, I'm beginning to form the impression that the car is more functional rather than sporty. It does what is required without fuss as long as you're realistic with expectations. But I've had strangers compliment on the sporty looks of the car. And this is saying a lot from a city that is flooded with SUVs. Two of my colleague have order theirs after seeing mine. The rear end of the car has garnered divided opinions but you cannot deny that it does stand out from the mediocre. And I love it anyhow. I'll be taking her to unsealed roads and blood her AWD capabilities soon enough.

Hopefully this should give you an insight into the car. Cheers!

appreciate such a detailed review. 

do you have any comment on the fuel consumption over a distance?

being such a new car in sgp, i wonder if it is a concern, if ones need to change after market part like speaker upgrade. etc etc. 

another part of it is that. hardly any eclipse cross specific accessories are available in the market. 

btw, i booked mine with local AD in January. currently pending collection details. woohoo

appreciate such a detailed review.

do you have any comment on the fuel consumption over a distance?

being such a new car in sgp, i wonder if it is a concern, if ones need to change after market part like speaker upgrade. etc etc.

another part of it is that. hardly any eclipse cross specific accessories are available in the market.

btw, i booked mine with local AD in January. currently pending collection details. woohoo

For fuel consumption, I’m currently at the low and mid 8 litres/100 km. It was initially 10 but it should get better over time. My driving is mostly highway and most of the time, I leave it at the Adaptive Cruise Control for maximum fuel efficiency. Otherwise, you’ll get the hang of getting the best out of the car whilst balancing fuel consumption. I have not tried the Eco mode though. Best thing is the car doesn’t need to run on premium fuel. 92 octane in Singapore would be sufficient although you’d be hard pressed to fill up with 95.

I got the top-of-the-range AWD model so there was little need for add-ons. Plus, the dealer threw in a nudge bar, carpets and weathershields (or window shields) for free. I intend to get a tow bar fixed soon. For Singapore context, you’d only need the weathershield and carpets. Perhaps you might want to consider roof rack and bonnet protector. The latter is unfortunately available only in the US so I’m trying to get in touch with dealers there to see if they can deliver it over to Australia.

Enjoy, mate!

I am considering this model too.

Overall a well package car only that I found even it have 250NM of torque the gear ratio engineered is not great when compare to other Jap car.

I believe on highway long distance the fuel consumption is so so only.

This the only point that make me difficult to make decision on this eclipse cross.

I am considering this model too.

Overall a well package car only that I found even it have 250NM of torque the gear ratio engineered is not great when compare to other Jap car.

I believe on highway long distance the fuel consumption is so so only.

This the only point that make me difficult to make decision on this eclipse cross.

It’s CVT is slightly different that what I’ve driven. The torque comes very early and supposedly drifts off only after 4000 rpm. Even with spirited driving, I have not gone past 3500 rpm cos I don’t need to. It hauls it’s weight very well.

I won’t disagree that the highway fuel consumption is not outstanding but it’s not bad either. My AWD consumes a bit more than the FWD versions but it doesn’t faze me. I’ll be going down south on 500++ km trips to the outback within the next few weeks and to be honest, fuel consumption is not exactly on the top of my concerns list. I want to see how she handles sweeping B roads and driver/passenger comfort. And of course, a bit of off-road driving. After all, that is Mitsubishi’s pedigree. They gave up the Evo to stick with SUVs and 4X4 (ASX, Outlander, Eclipse Cross, Pajero Sport, Pajero and Triton).

• Praise 1

For fuel consumption, I’m currently at the low and mid 8 litres/100 km. It was initially 10 but it should get better over time. My driving is mostly highway and most of the time, I leave it at the Adaptive Cruise Control for maximum fuel efficiency. Otherwise, you’ll get the hang of getting the best out of the car whilst balancing fuel consumption. I have not tried the Eco mode though. Best thing is the car doesn’t need to run on premium fuel. 92 octane in Singapore would be sufficient although you’d be hard pressed to fill up with 95.

I got the top-of-the-range AWD model so there was little need for add-ons. Plus, the dealer threw in a nudge bar, carpets and weathershields (or window shields) for free. I intend to get a tow bar fixed soon. For Singapore context, you’d only need the weathershield and carpets. Perhaps you might want to consider roof rack and bonnet protector. The latter is unfortunately available only in the US so I’m trying to get in touch with dealers there to see if they can deliver it over to Australia.

Enjoy, mate!

thank you for your sharing. i was not aware 92 octane is sufficient. good point. 

Fuel Efficiency something i will be watching closely. 

does anyone has issue with the FCM, i was told, can be a tad too sensitive such that it activate brake assist for slightest obstacle. this is even when it has been adjusted to "near" setting. 

Maybe not...it will die instead with its crappy pricing.

Honda fanboys are far from being dead, so they can price expensively

Most Mitsubishi fanboys are 'dead' so nobody sane will buy this...

UNcle just did.
  • Praise 1

thank you for your sharing. i was not aware 92 octane is sufficient. good point.

Fuel Efficiency something i will be watching closely.

does anyone has issue with the FCM, i was told, can be a tad too sensitive such that it activate brake assist for slightest obstacle. this is even when it has been adjusted to "near" setting.

So far, I’ve not had any FCM activations although I just found out the Adaptive Cruise Control can be a bit dodgy at sharp bends or hills. It’s either picking up the gradient or railings. Not drastic but it just slows down a bit.

Latest returns on FC. It went down to 7.7 l/100 km.

being such a new model, i guess hardly can find compatible accessories in sgp. the other day, i was just checking for the window screen like this link here https://www.facebook.com/Customfitlasershades/ . i was told, no such stock available yet. unless i am willing to be their guinea pig and allow them to take measurement. lead time to produce - 6mth. 

if anyone got any worthy add on or upgrade, do share. 

(edited)

It's quite a letdown that our SG AD does not bring in the trim c/w (a) ACC, (b) Lane Departure Warning, © Blind Spot Warning & (d) Rear Cross Traffic Alert for the price we are paying. Read online all these are available on middle to premium trims overseas. Wonder why? Also, think SG is the only one tt does not c/w the factory fitted infotainment system but an after-mkt Kenwood DDX917WS..

Anyway bought mine liao..

expecting to collect next week or so.

2 weeks ago, I saw the EclipseX for the 1st time on SG road (at Macpherson ESSO specifically) with SLW plate.. Anyone who's already driving the local model care to share ur ride experience n with the infotainment unit? Thanks.

Edited by Jus4fun
↡ Advertisement