Keppel Corp pays S$570m to resolve bribery probes

kdash

52 minutes ago, Tkseah said:

If KOM's principle is to be whiter than white, should have forgone the Brazil market.  But I think their intention was business driven, the individuals likely acted for the corporate good with blessings of senior management and not for direct personal benefit.  So my view is that any punishment should be borne by KOM as a whole rather than the individuals.

I think you are mixing KOM and Singapore Gov into one entity...

↡ Advertisement

Actually if we look deeper into all the arm sales, this is the 'market practice' lah. We just hope contracts awarded within Singapore is free from this can liao.

Finally someone dared to voice out.

https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/senior-counsel-questions-handling-keppel-bribery-case-other-lawyers-weigh-indranee-address-matter-parliament-2100856?fbclid=IwAR1nEjZsnvwY0UQ-TynXIVCdg9y04PFXGVLe9hMtXAL58rBsTtdyDWoKEP4&mibextid=tejx2t

Senior Counsel Harpreet Singh Nehal asked if the authorities' decision not to prosecute six former staff members of the company signalled "a crack in Singapore's long professed policy of zero tolerance towards corruption".

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Fcw75 said:

https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/senior-counsel-questions-handling-keppel-bribery-case-other-lawyers-weigh-indranee-address-matter-parliament-2100856?fbclid=IwAR1nEjZsnvwY0UQ-TynXIVCdg9y04PFXGVLe9hMtXAL58rBsTtdyDWoKEP4&mibextid=tejx2t

Senior Counsel Harpreet Singh Nehal asked if the authorities' decision not to prosecute six former staff members of the company signalled "a crack in Singapore's long professed policy of zero tolerance towards corruption".

🤦‍♀️Senior Counsel ask this kind of question openly.

2 hours ago, Fcw75 said:

Article also says the "voice out" taken down and scrubbed off already. Worse than pofma. At least with pofma, the offending info can still remain, just needs to be accompanied by a notice and link to the rebuttal.

Quoted "The commentary was initially published by the Singapore Law Watch, a local news service for the law community. It was no longer available online as of Thursday afternoon. CNA has contacted Singapore Law Watch and Mr Singh to find out why."

All this even before the promised explanation due to be given in parliament on 6 Feb.

Edited by Sosaria
  • Praise 1

6 hours ago, Sosaria said:

Article also says the "voice out" taken down and scrubbed off already. Worse than pofma. At least with pofma, the offending info can still remain, just needs to be accompanied by a notice and link to the rebuttal.

Quoted "The commentary was initially published by the Singapore Law Watch, a local news service for the law community. It was no longer available online as of Thursday afternoon. CNA has contacted Singapore Law Watch and Mr Singh to find out why."

All this even before the promised explanation due to be given in parliament on 6 Feb.

Don’t ask. Don’t tell.

There are details that is not available to general public including legal profession.

On 1/16/2023 at 9:05 AM, Wind30 said:

Ok. I don't think your example is an apples to apples comparison but even in this SKEWED example, I think yes, SG police stance should be yes, it is illegal to bribe foreign country official if there is ever a case brought to the public eyes. I am not asking SG police to go catch Singapore drivers. Likewise, KOM is NOT caught by Singapore. But if some singaporean driver is caught in Malaysia for giving bribes and got blown up, the stance for the singaporean police should be, the guy has broken the law. The reason is obvious, Singapore need to be a lawful society or at least appear that as a good place for business. Our laws specifically state it is illegal to give bribes whether in Singapore or overseas. I don't go to Malaysia but I really doubt people get stopped by cops for NO REASON with fictitious fines nowadays. If that is the case, I rather not drive in Malaysia. We can choose to walk away. 

Remember there are REAL victims in Brazil in this case. This is not $50 Kopi money. Maybe Brazil is too far away so they don't feel humans to you. The right example is let's say Malaysia. We know how hard they are trying to clean up their gov until it is a big mess right now.

Do you think it is right for Keppel to bribe Malaysia officials to build an oil rig in Sabah? We earn their money, who cares if Malaysian's pay more than what is fair market value. If you don't think it is right, what is the right way to stop it. Punishing the companies will not work if the CEO who pocketed huge bonuses because of the illegal deal get away Scott free and richer. The cycle of corruption will continue. It is also in our prevention of corruption laws that we go after individuals too and both inside and outside Singapore.

Not just for Malaysians' sake, it is also in our own interest to appear uncorrupted as that is our main adv over our neighbours.

I disagree with you on two points. But the two points are interrelated. Lol

The point on Singapore drivers bribing Malaysian police being a skewed example is not skewed. It's actually the same. It's just that now it's the rank and file that is involved and we are more sympathetic since we can relate to it.

It's also in public eye.  Believe me. If it's not in public eye we would all be shocked that 50 RM is needed to bribe the police.  But again, cos it relates to the man in the street, no furor.

It is still not right to bribe as you said. But sometimes, that's the way of life.  Yes, there are real victims but it's tricky.  Let's say country x says pay me a bribe or you shut. So you bribe.  You stay open.  There are real victims (higher prices).  You don't bribe.  You shut.  You lose the business. Other countries swoop in.  Now you lose out.  It's business.  If you want to run a morally upright business, most likely you cannot run a business outside of Singapore.

Your last paragraph is double edged. It is in our interest to appear corruption free even when working overseas.  It can be used by competitors to undermine our competitiveness.

I don't know enough of this case to know the intricacies of this case but I won't be surprised if US raised this charge and the sometime later, the business goes to a US company who does the same thing (but no charge this time unless company is related to Trump).

• Praise 1

Supercharged
2 hours ago, inlinesix said:

Don’t ask. Don’t tell.

There are details that is not available to general public including legal profession.

The fact that Ong Ye Kung used to work in Keppel is in the public domain.

1 minute ago, Kklim said:

The fact that Ong Ye Kung used to work in Keppel is in the public domain.

Yup Keppel Corporation.

FCPA action was against Keppel Offshore and Marine.

55m bribe and could not find enough evidence vs 1 buck... hmmm. 

The bribe money came from the 6's own Swiss bank accounts or from their company leh?

Many questions unanswered. 

Edited by Volvobrick
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 2