Is it weird to add a stranger in What'sApp groupchat?

DACH

Hi all,

Just came across a situation in a What'sApp group.

Actually there is this What'sApp group in my What'sApp of the group of friends in secondary school which we have been in contact since after leaving secondary school. There is also a friend we have been together since tertiary school but not from the same secondary school. We created this What'sApp group since the day What'sApp can allow group chats and we have been talking cock and many personal things since then for years.

Suddenly yesterday the group admin suddenly added one of the ex-secondary school mate that most of us are not even classmates with or known of and do not even know or talk to in the secondary school times. One of my friends even told me personally that he do not know who is this person even we all are from the same secondary school. He say with the presence of this newly added stranger, it is better not to talk about personal things among those in the group chat for years, since most of us do not know him and have not realy get contact with him since after secondary school. 

This probably makes sense. Should we just remove this person from the group chat and create a new group chat with this new person? Or should we create a new group chat with our own circle of people and rename the existing one and let it run by another group chat itself?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Why don't you check with the admin who added him into the group?

Also, think positively. That 'stranger' may just be a great addition. I have been in CAR whatsapp groups where we were all once strangers but are now good friends. 

• Praise 4

one day my ex-colleague called me and said they were organizing a get together ...almost 20 years after i left.

so she set up a whatapps group to do the coordination.

i did not meetup coz i was overseas ... but i would say, i can only remember/know about 3 ppl out of the group but is till stayed in the group although most of the stuff they talk is alien to me ... i would just pop a remark every now and then.

Edited by Ysc3

On the security side.

Remember pm Lee suing his nephew.

You won't include a stranger you don't trust into a conversation for fear of what he may find out or use against you. Why would you do it in a WRITTEN form??!!

If no choice, then it's got a to be treated as a formal communication channel, no longer a friend meet up.

On the other hand.

I also seen group where a member was removed because someone else don't like him, though others weren't involved or consulted, it's guilt by association. It hurts real life friendship.

On the security side.

Remember pm Lee suing his nephew.

You won't include a stranger you don't trust into a conversation for fear of what he may find out or use against you. Why would you do it in a WRITTEN form??!!

If no choice, then it's got a to be treated as a formal communication channel, no longer a friend meet up.

On the other hand.

I also seen group where a member was removed because someone else don't like him, though others weren't involved or consulted, it's guilt by association. It hurts real life friendship.

like that in the end what's app group may end up eventually with one person

it is sad the trend of things to come, there is growing cynicism and fear.

how to make new friends, we may end up with..... no friends

• Praise 1

Maybe wats app group should have additional feature.

A "FORMAL" or "FRIEND" tag.

I was in a group on enbloc... skali found out spy planted..comments in group used in “lawsuit”.. one resident against another..

He already got no family.. sad.. Edited by BenTong

Why don't you check with the admin who added him into the group?

Also, think positively. That 'stranger' may just be a great addition. I have been in CAR whatsapp groups where we were all once strangers but are now good friends.

I think hobby Whatsapp group is really different from personal group Whatsapp group la.

The kind of information exchange, closeness of relationship, etc.

Somemore even before this Whatsapp group chat, we have some "weird" friends in our circle, eg, antisocial, like to lie to get their objectives, spies, got involved with problems. We didn't include them when the group chat was started.

Edited by DACH

One of my chat group, I am the stranger being added. Got reconnected a with a old friend on LinkedIn. And he added me into one of his hobby kakis.

• Praise 1

I dislike group chat, and used to be flooded with atleast more than 15 20 groups at 1 time. Initially leaving it was a hesitation and Paisay, but I got a hang out of it and will leave politely, farewell and exit.

From "good morning greetings" to broadcasting breakfast meals, to kbkp office business matters, to showing off new rolexs, buying new irons, new cars, simi sai also post. More like a showdown or personal stage lol.

Now still clinching on to 5 groupchats, that have some sentimental feelings in it, just cut and paste greetings lol.

I don't think its weird to add a stranger in a group chat.

I myself don't mind be added as a stranger in this group's chat.

They all look so friendly and bubbly and the kind of group I want to chat with.

:D 

holiday143.jpg?w=630

• Praise 1

1) Ask the admin who the new guy is and why he was added.

2) Ask the new guy to intro himself

3) As a collective decide on next course of action. Sometimes good to make a new friend, but if uncomfortable just explain and remove him lor.

1) Ask the admin who the new guy is and why he was added.

2) Ask the new guy to intro himself

3) As a collective decide on next course of action. Sometimes good to make a new friend, but if uncomfortable just explain and remove him lor.

Or...

• Praise 6

Ah the irony... wondering about strangers added by friends in a private chat group in a public forum filled with even more strangers**

Edited by ins1dious
  • Praise 5

Ah the irony... wondering about strangers added by friends in a private chat group in a public forum filled with even more strangers** ðð¼

** yes, I get that some of the members of this public forum can be a friend in ârealâ life as well. Just saying ð¤·ð½ââï¸

haha i think @dach feels more comfortable about us strangers than the new guy just added into his whatsapp chat...
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1