Doctor dies from suspected overwork after 18-hour shift

Lmws214

Wishing and gentle reminders to all MCF members to take good care of your own health. I wish all good health and safety!" Health is WEALTH!

A 43-year-old female doctor from Shanxi province in China collapsed and died after reportedly working for 18 hours without rest. Zhao, who was deputy director of the respiratory medicine department, died from subarachnoid hemorrhage, a type of stroke brought on by a ruptured aneurysm, Zhao had been working since 6pm the night before on Dec 28. After completing her shift at 12pm the next day, she continued to visit patients in the hospital, clocking up to 18 hours that day. Zhao had told another colleague a few weeks ago that she was "too busy" to take a break. 

http://www.asiaone.com/china/doctor-china-dies-suspected-overwork-after-18-hour-shift?xtor=EREC-16-4[Emarsys_Newsletter]-20180102&extid=6934d0cfb7b252f1ae9f0dbddf5ff88ca8637e77

Edited by Lmws214
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

I think i wrote before. If you are tired, rest. If you keep struggling, the body will just take a rest at a time of its own choosing, whether you like it or not.

In this case, kinda sad she worked so hard because she was too busy to take a break. The body suddenly just breaks down, and she is gone. And even more kinda sad after she died, the world still went on, meaning she could have taken a break and the world would still go on and she will still be alive.

RIP.

• Praise 11

I think i wrote before. If you are tired, rest. If you keep struggling, the body will just take a rest at a time of its own choosing, whether you like it or not.

In this case, kinda sad she worked so hard because she was too busy to take a break. The body suddenly just breaks down, and she is gone. And even more kinda sad after she died, the world still went on, meaning she could have taken a break and the world would still go on and she will still be alive.

RIP.

sometimes its hard to say no ..

I supposed if there is a buddy system, easier to take turns to have some quick nap. Most of us are no longer 18 year old and trying to do 24km road march.. 

I am also more worried of the fact that the Bus and taxi/heavy vehicle driver dont have a proper rest as well and results in driver fatigue and accident waiting to happen.

• Praise 2

clocking 18-22hr shifts is not unheard of in local public health sector for the junior doctors.

Start work at 7.30am to collate patient information and updates for the morning ward round, end of day 6pm for evening ward round, have quick dinner if lucky, continue the overnight call till next morning 7am doing the same stuff.With any luck, they can go off at 10am after finishing the morning wardwround orders. Most of the time can finish at 1-2 pm. Occasionally when really short of staff, have to do the 6pm end of day round too.

They say it is a baptism of fire, I say it is accident and grieving waiting to happen.

I'm just glad to have done it and over it when I was still in the peak of my youth and health.

Edited by Vratenza
  • Praise 7

Docs dying from long hours is one thing but I am more worried about wrong treatment given.

A man goes in for a snip cos he has enough children and the over worked doc snips something else.

As this is a family forum I don't want to be too obvious eunach what I mean.

• Praise 6

RIP.

agree that with or without you, the world will still go on, despite what we may think. 

i think many people are very influenced by peer pressure and also what people may think of them if they appear to be taking "too much rest". 

• Praise 3

Turbocharged

I am also more worried of the fact that the Bus and taxi/heavy vehicle driver dont have a proper rest as well and results in driver fatigue and accident waiting to happen.

This is why I tend to avoid Uber/grab cos their minimum age is 21?  Young people normally have parties, play games, dating, etc...until dunno what time then next day if drive don't know got enough rest or not....

• Praise 1

clocking 18-22hr shifts is not unheard of in local public health sector for the junior doctors.

Start work at 7.30am to collate patient information and updates for the morning ward round, end of day 6pm for evening ward round, have quick dinner if lucky, continue the overnight call till next morning 7am doing the same stuff.With any luck, they can go off at 10am after finishing the morning wardwround orders. Most of the time can finish at 1-2 pm. Occasionally when really short of staff, have to do the 6pm end of day round too.

They say it is a baptism of fire, I say it is accident and grieving waiting to happen.

I'm just glad to have done it and over it when I was still in the peak of my youth and health.

not piak of your health?? jahahha

yea bro...hear that 72 hr shifts are not uncommon......good that you decided on a path where you can enjoy your life... [thumbsup]  [thumbsup]

• Praise 2

Me not doctor. During my active as a medic once a week I need to rush from from kranji MC to Alex. Ward 15 before 9.30pm for the grave yard shift.

The next day off (provided no exercise) but normally spend the whole days chatting with miss Zhou.

Army medic already ba lang lang but still felt like shitting after a grave yard shift.

Respect to those medical profession.

Edited by Kopites
  • Praise 2

just curious .

is the stroke really due to over work or some other underlying cause?

can over work really cause death?

@Radx

Edited by Little_prince
  • Praise 2

just curious .

is the stroke really due to over work or some other underlying cause?

can over work really cause death?

@Radx

Depriving yourself of sleep increases your stress hormones, cortisol. It's associated with all sorta things like dementia, hypertension etc etc.

Though there's no real diagnosis of it in most places of the world except japan. So there's no way someone can be reported to have died from this diagnosis in SG.

I think we all know intuitively, that it's incredibly stressful to be constantly kept awake or working.

So i would put it as a possible contributing factor.

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 5

Depriving yourself of sleep increases your stress hormones, cortisol. It's associated with all sorta things like dementia, hypertension etc etc.

Though there's no real diagnosis of it in most places of the world except japan. So there's no way someone can be reported to have died from this diagnosis in SG.

I think we all know intuitively, that it's incredibly stressful to be constantly kept awake or working.

So i would put it as a possible contributing factor.

The other closely associated is CFS. Chronic Fatigue

Can be debilitating

• Praise 1

agree that with or without you, the world will still go on, despite what we may think. 

i think many people are very influenced by peer pressure and also what people may think of them if they appear to be taking "too much rest". 

Yes, no one is indispensable.  There are so many already in the Graveyard  :o 

May she RIP  [smallcry] 

• Praise 5

Saw a documentary about PRC.....some workers there was reported to be working 7 days a week with no off days! Dont know true or not and the only break is during the Spring Festival....1 week off!

• Praise 3

Saw a documentary about PRC.....some workers there was reported to be working 7 days a week with no off days! Dont know true or not and the only break is during the Spring Festival....1 week off!

Very common among migrant workers in their big city.

Even in singapore, the China construction workers here usually works 7days a week unless got PH.

Edited by Lala81

Turbocharged

Bro...property agents also work 7 days week!!  Worse still, no public holidays also...except maybe CNY. I was doing viewing even on Xmas and New year day.

↡ Advertisement