2016 2nd Generation Honda Freed

Blooper77

Neutral Newbie

Petrol v Hybrid

one reason is the non-hybrid could have been hit bad by the VES, so PI end up having to price a (less advance or sophisticated) car higher than a more advance/sophisticated car (the Hybrid model).

that's what one PI told me about the vezel.

I have a friend who checked out this. The price for Petrol model is about 2-3k cheaper than Hybrid ones and the ARF is about 10k more.

Not sure why but I suspect that it is probably related to VES tax.

Additionally, seem like petrol is <130 bhp and hence fall under Cat A??

With a slightly cheaper cost, higher ARF and Cat A COE, do you think it is worthwhile to get the petrol version if one is a low mileage driver?

Or there are other negative factor of petrol (or positive factor for Hybrid) that will have to be taken into consideration despite the overall cost saving??

thanks for any advice.

Edited by Pirate
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Petrol v Hybrid

I have a friend who checked out this. The price for Petrol model is about 2-3k cheaper than Hybrid ones and the ARF is about 10k more.

Not sure why but I suspect that it is probably related to VES tax.

Additionally, seem like petrol is <130 bhp and hence fall under Cat A??

With a slightly cheaper cost, higher ARF and Cat A COE, do you think it is worthwhile to get the petrol version if one is a low mileage driver?

Or there are other negative factor of petrol (or positive factor for Hybrid) that will have to be taken into consideration despite the overall cost saving??

thanks for any advice.

If you're planning to drive the car for full 10 yr, then maybe it's indeed better to consider petrol - if your mileage is not v high.

Reasons

=======

1. Hybrid gives good mileage and saves on petrol, but the hybrid battery is not cheap. If it doesn't last 10 yr (think our handphone batts), then consider the batt cost...
  2. Hybrid can be priced low, because of the VES rebate. With this rebate, the scrap value is going to be very low. Take this into account when calculating depreciation of the car.
  3. Cat B COE is more expensive than Cat A by a few K

Just my thoughts. Others might have things to add.

• Praise 1

If you're planning to drive the car for full 10 yr, then maybe it's indeed better to consider petrol - if your mileage is not v high.

Reasons

=======

1. Hybrid gives good mileage and saves on petrol, but the hybrid battery is not cheap. If it doesn't last 10 yr (think our handphone batts), then consider the batt cost...
  2. Hybrid can be priced low, because of the VES rebate. With this rebate, the scrap value is going to be very low. Take this into account when calculating depreciation of the car.
  3. Cat B COE is more expensive than Cat A by a few K

Just my thoughts. Others might have things to add.

My point of views are differ:

1. Hybrid really can give better FC in my case I save around $100 per month. I am super low mileage less than 1k per month.

2. Fuel saving of 100 per month is 1200 per annual and 12000 for 10 years.

3. Now Hybrid cars are more and more on the road so the price to replace or repair the batteries should be cheaper since the demand is higher.  Therefore, I estimate 12000 can replace the batteries twice within 10 years.

4. Yes the cost of Petrol and Hybrid is differ and so the PARF value but I think we paid a little more can enjoy the latest theology.

Just my 2 cents.  

• Praise 2

My point of views are differ:

1. Hybrid really can give better FC in my case I save around $100 per month. I am super low mileage less than 1k per month.

2. Fuel saving of 100 per month is 1200 per annual and 12000 for 10 years.

3. Now Hybrid cars are more and more on the road so the price to replace or repair the batteries should be cheaper since the demand is higher.  Therefore, I estimate 12000 can replace the batteries twice within 10 years.

4. Yes the cost of Petrol and Hybrid is differ and so the PARF value but I think we paid a little more can enjoy the latest theology.

Just my 2 cents.  

Oh, that's very substantial - at $100 per month even for <1k mileage. Thanks for sharing.

Then if mileage is high, the savings would be even more attractive.

Just to confirm: in your case, is the comparison based on same equivalent models and only difference betw petrol and hybrid? Freed petrol i think is not extremely bad for FC, so we just need to be sure the substantial savings of $12k over 10 yr is also applicable. I mean, if we take a Fit Hybrid vs a, let's say, Latio petrol, then the result is going to be exaggerated anyway.

Your point on the latest tech is valid, not forgetting the intangible of doing something for Mother Earth by producing less pollutants if drive hybrid. [thumbsup]

Can take all these into consideration when making decision.

Hi. Would like to know if there is anyone who has experience installing two child car seats at the 2nd row of Honda Freed?

I currently have an Elantra and the width is wide enough to have two car seats (left and center) and also sits an additional adult at the back (right).

Elantra has a exterior width of 180cm while Freed's 169cm.

I'm thinking of changing to Freed but as the second row of freed needs to be folded down to allow passengers to board the third, i'm not sure can it be done with two child car seat installed.

Would appreciate input from someone who had tried doing this or someone who had similar experience. Thanks! 

• Praise 2

Hi. Would like to know if there is anyone who has experience installing two child car seats at the 2nd row of Honda Freed?

I currently have an Elantra and the width is wide enough to have two car seats (left and center) and also sits an additional adult at the back (right).

I'm thinking of changing to Freed but as the second row of freed needs to be folded down to allow passengers to board the third, i'm not sure can it be done with two child car seat installed.

Would appreciate input from someone who had tried doing this or someone who had similar experience. Thanks! 

You will place 1 car seat in middle and another last row or front seats

If to placed 2 seats in middle, You have to enter using boot door to sit at last row..

• Praise 3

No idea whether it's possible.  But at the very least, I think the interior width may not be as starkly (180-169 = 11cm) different.

• See the interior drawn dimensions at the bottom of https://www.honda.co.jp/FREED/common/pdf/freed_spec_list.pdf where the 2nd row interior width of something is 1455mm (for 6 seater; can't find 7 seater dimensions).
  • See http://www.hemanual.org/interior_b-1949.html, although they don't have bench width, we have a few proxies. M-M' (foot-level panel to panel tooling hole) distance  is 1442mm; J-J' (head-level) distance is 1238mm; and the impt L-L' (shoulder-level)  is 1382mm. Actual bench width should be a little bit smaller, I think.

But with child seats, I think it's always best to bring them along and try to fit them yourself. 

I'd personally avoid putting a child seat in front row if possible, because we'd have to depend on the sensor to sense that it's a child and to deactivate the airbag.

• Praise 2

You will place 1 car seat in middle and another last row or front seats

If to placed 2 seats in middle, You have to enter using boot door to sit at last row..

I'm keen to have both car seats with an adult so that's actually one of my most important considerations. 

Entering the last row through the boot door for 1 person sounds workable actually. Thanks for your input!

No idea whether it's possible.  But at the very least, I think the interior width may not be as starkly (180-169 = 11cm) different.

• See the interior drawn dimensions at the bottom of https://www.honda.co.jp/FREED/common/pdf/freed_spec_list.pdf where the 2nd row interior width of something is 1455mm (for 6 seater; can't find 7 seater dimensions).
  • See http://www.hemanual.org/interior_b-1949.html, although they don't have bench width, we have a few proxies. M-M' (foot-level panel to panel tooling hole) distance  is 1442mm; J-J' (head-level) distance is 1238mm; and the impt L-L' (shoulder-level)  is 1382mm. Actual bench width should be a little bit smaller, I think.

But with child seats, I think it's always best to bring them along and try to fit them yourself. 

I'd personally avoid putting a child seat in front row if possible, because we'd have to depend on the sensor to sense that it's a child and to deactivate the airbag.

Thanks for the illustration. A compact car seat has a width of 450mm and is mathematically possible if the bench width is around 1300mm, just that the total width of the two seats may not match the spot where the seat is folded to allow people to board the last row.

But I guess you are right. Best way is to bring down the car seats to try. Just trying my luck to see if there's anyone who had tried doing it before. Thanks bro! 

I'm keen to have both car seats with an adult so that's actually one of my most important considerations.

Entering the last row through the boot door for 1 person sounds workable actually. Thanks for your input!

Sure.. can bring along to try on actual car..

I’m Pi .. have a customer who actually bring 3 seats to try on Harrier before buying ..and it works

Is this car bumpy? Driving vezel now and dun like the vezel suspension. Pls advise. Thanks

Is this car bumpy? Driving vezel now and dun like the vezel suspension. Pls advise. Thanks

• Praise 1

It’s not bumpy .. however I let owners to advise you..

Thanks for the illustration. A compact car seat has a width of 450mm and is mathematically possible if the bench width is around 1300mm, just that the total width of the two seats may not match the spot where the seat is folded to allow people to board the last row.

But I guess you are right. Best way is to bring down the car seats to try. Just trying my luck to see if there's anyone who had tried doing it before. Thanks bro!

Yup can have 2/3 car seats in the middle np. Passengers can still access to the third row easily (my family people r relatively skinny).

I personally have 2 at the middle row.

Your bumpy n mine might differ. Comparing with SUV it is definitely lesser. However i won't say it is obvious unless u pay close attention to it.

The car however is light hence if a person shake vigrously in it, you can easily feel the car shaking

• Praise 1

I actually also interested in this car, but a 7sesters without rear Aircond....

Indeed, having it is no deny a blessing. If you have a full load and cant wait for up to 5mins for the car to cool down, turn off eco mode. It will hasten the process of cooling the entire vehicle down extremely quickly.

It always help to start the car earlier for the air-conditioning to cool the entire car especially during extreme hot day.

U could install additional blower or a fan to help but it wont look good.

This is one of the downside I have with the car. Coming from a history of cars with rear blower..

Edited by Anderss

If you have a full load and cant wait for up to 5mins for the car to cool down, turn off eco mode. It will hasten the process of cooling the entire vehicle down extremely quickly.

On this point...  what is the most economical way of cooling the car after it's been out in the hot sun?

- Turn the aircon to max speed and lowest temperature, turn off eco mode?  (should take less time

- Turn the aircon to max speed and lowest temperature, leave it in eco mode?

- drive around a bit with windows wound down and tolerate the heat for a few minutes?

- anything else?

• Praise 1