Android Phones

zipping

oppo is expensive if u see the specs. like @lala81 mentioned, oppo uses the older snapdragon processor....which on other phones like xiaomi or huawei, commands a lower price. i would not get oppo for that kind of pricing. 

xiaomi, huawei n honor r currently the best for lower price high specs phones.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Huawei vs Samsung camera.

Both are very good. Huawei in some aspects is probably class leading.

Its just different taste of what you like. Heavy flavours or less savory flavour.

tough decision...

apart from the specs,

just checked the prices for ST recontract. The prices aren't v attractive actually. In fact, for the cheapest combo 1 plan, it's a joke cos the recontract price for most phones, is higher than buying a new phone at some shop...

Mate 20 pro price is $230 more than note 9, so i guess will stick note 9...

Take a step back.....think of it this way:

in 1-2 years time, your top end  best of the best model you have cracked your brains over to buy, would have been relegated to 5th place easily by all the next generation of flagships from each of the manufacturer.

That is the order of tech advancement.

:D

tough decision...

apart from the specs,

just checked the prices for ST recontract. The prices aren't v attractive actually. In fact, for the cheapest combo 1 plan, it's a joke cos the recontract price for most phones, is higher than buying a new phone at some shop...

Mate 20 pro price is $230 more than note 9, so i guess will stick note 9...

• Praise 1

r17 is at $699 at Oppo shop. Yes, i want a bigger screen, will check out on Xiaomi mi mix 2. Thanks Lala81

Yes, it is. I went to see Huawei phones, I find that the phones were rather heated up in the showroom. Could be the batteries

Yeah, don’t want to pay so much for a phone

Wanted to change to android so that I can put dual Sim, and my iphone 7+ the value still quite ok

depends on the usage, i bought Oppo R11s for my wife, she only use a few apps like whatsapp and FB and listen to music, she like it a lot especially the camera, i find it better than xiaomi.

Huawei higher end is good in their camera.

Take a step back.....think of it this way:

in 1-2 years time, your top end  best of the best model you have cracked your brains over to buy, would have been relegated to 5th place easily by all the next generation of flagships from each of the manufacturer.

That is the order of tech advancement.

:D

sigh... you're so right.

All the best stuff will be bettered by others in no time. Will just go with convenience...

Wanna solicit some advice and suggestion:

I can recontract this month, and am interested to know which phone is best value for money now. Have always been using Samsung's S or Note series, but also realise that Samsung's flagship phones have become very expensive over the last few years, and their values drop very quickly, so is not really value for money...

Am very used to Android, so will prefer to stick with it, but wonder whether there are other better buys or not...

Anyone got good advice/suggestion?

tks...

Note 8 is actually very cheap now. Personally I hate Samsung but I think it's a pretty good buy.

I don't trade in my phones. The last one I sold is the original galaxy s, which I hated so much.

Back to the topic, other than note 8, you can look into HW p20 pro too. A notch lower will be oneplus 6/6T, Poco f1, honor play, HW nova 3/3i.

A lot of mid tier I've mentioned are not available in the telcos. I would still recommend note 8 or the p20 pro. Think they are @ S$199 with plan.

• Praise 1

Note 8 is actually very cheap now. Personally I hate Samsung but I think it's a pretty good buy.

I don't trade in my phones. The last one I sold is the original galaxy s, which I hated so much.

Back to the topic, other than note 8, you can look into HW p20 pro too. A notch lower will be oneplus 6/6T, Poco f1, honor play, HW nova 3/3i.

A lot of mid tier I've mentioned are not available in the telcos. I would still recommend note 8 or the p20 pro. Think they are @ S$199 with plan.

We gave our old S7 Edge to the kids last year, and I still a note 5 from before that. Then the kids have their old xiaomis. Think that's enough spare phones already, even if my parents' ones conk off.

So we'll have our note 8 to sell off or trade-in... must try to reduce our $$ outlay for phones.

btw, talking of old phones, I just saw a whatsapp video (in Chinese) that says that even for phones that have been reset to factory settings, can easily be hacked by people with some recovery apps, to retrieve userIDs and passwords to access your email, whatsapp, and bank accounts...

got so scary or not??? [sweatdrop]

i don trade in n i don sell old phones. cos by the time i change, the old phone will hold very little value n it's a hassle to sell it. so gave the kids to play. but now that they hv their own phones, the old phones end up use as spare phone....n then now hv too many spare phones. LOL! all will soon b thrown away.  [:|]

Xiaomi user, do you face problem with advertisement? especially when using Mi apps, such as calendar, music, Folders and notes?

Has literally disable all recommendations and advertisement but it still manage to push the adv out everytime I click on their apps.

Appreciate any assistant.

btw, talking of old phones, I just saw a whatsapp video (in Chinese) that says that even for phones that have been reset to factory settings, can easily be hacked by people with some recovery apps, to retrieve userIDs and passwords to access your email, whatsapp, and bank accounts...

That's is the reason i don't trade in my old phones. Firstly, most android phones have no value after 2 years. Your current flagship now is probably a mid tier in 2 years, so most dealers export them and the price they buy in is not worth it. Second is the data inside. My first galaxy s and the subsequent S3 do not have much personal data in it as E-payment isn't that popular back then. But my current phones have all my bank data. It is possible to hack even though you "delete" everything, something like your HDD. Although there are 2nd layer of security protection now like otp, i rather keep my old phones. My S3 is for me to try flashing new rom, G3 is my alarm clock and web surfing in the bedroom.  [laugh]  The V20, when retired, will be my portable music player due to the build-in quad dac. 

If you want min cash outlay, i suggest you look at the nova3i if you are not a heavy user. I bought one for my dad after some research. Beautiful phone but camera is a tad weak at night. The AI found on other huawei flagships is also on the nova 3i. It's quite a fun camera to play with. Don't worry on the processor. So far, i see that it is more than sufficient for average use. In fact, a slower processor uses less power, so phones with a mid tier processor will have better battery life. 

• Praise 1

Xiaomi just released their Mi 8 Lite last weekend.. Retail $399.. Processor is Snapdragon 660. Better value than the Huawei Nova 3i retail at $398.

Mi 8 lite has 5 GHZ WIFI, USB type C, 6GB Ram.

Nova 3i doesn't have the above and it's 4 GB ram. It's Kirin 710 processor supposed to be slower than the 660 snapdragon.

Edited by Ender
  • Praise 1

Xiaomi just released their Mi 8 Lite last weekend.. Retail $399.. Processor is Snapdragon 660. Better value than the Huawei Nova 3i retail at $398.

Mi 8 lite has 5 GHZ WIFI, USB type C, 6GB Ram.

Nova 3i doesn't have the above and it's 4 GB ram. It's Kirin 710 processor supposed to be slower than the 660 snapdragon.

What is the difference between Mi 8 and Mi 8 Lite?

What is the difference between Mi 8 and Mi 8 Lite?

Mi 8 is their high end product. Should be with snapdragon 845, NFC, better camera, other better stuff.

We gave our old S7 Edge to the kids last year, and I still a note 5 from before that. Then the kids have their old xiaomis. Think that's enough spare phones already, even if my parents' ones conk off.

So we'll have our note 8 to sell off or trade-in... must try to reduce our $$ outlay for phones.

Basically I used my phones till the state it becomes unusable.  [laugh]

Only my Nokia E66 and Sony Xperia Z1 survived with a battery change.

Mi 8 is their high end product. Should be with snapdragon 845, NFC, better camera, other better stuff.

The Mi 8 Lite sell at $399 without contract is consider cheap if compared with a iphone. Lol.

The Mi 8 Lite sell at $399 without contract is consider cheap if compared with a iphone. Lol.

How can you compared mid range phone with high end phone?

How can you compared mid range phone with high end phone?

Think even the high end xiaomi phone also much cheaper than iphone. Lol.

Think even the high end xiaomi phone also much cheaper than iphone. Lol.

Depends.

IPhone 8 may be cheaper.  [laugh]

↡ Advertisement