Android Phones

zipping

My kids use my laptop to access sls and koobits since I don't work from home. No experience with tablet access of the above. 

Some stuff in SLS do require typing, so I would prefer a laptop. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

17 hours ago, Albeniz said:

I need to buy a cheap 10.1 inch android  tablet for my small child to do some school work.  Do you folks have any brand/ model to recommend?

What about 10.1 inch Fire?

Any experience?

Criteria - must be cheap and good.

Thanks folks.

Samsung tab a 10.1 

I got one by subscribing to sph straits time. I think it's slightly above 200 bucks.

But overall, for tablet I will go for ipad. Android tablet just feels weird. And not all apps support tablet. You can find some cheap refurb ipads around.

Eligible for recontract soon, so thinking of changing phone.. 

I've been a Huawei fan for last 7-8 years, Mate 8, Mate 9, Mate 10, and now Mate 20X. But too bad it does not come with GMS now so I'm looking at alternatives

1. Xiaomi 11

2. Samsung S21 ultra

3. One plus 9 

4. Oppo X3

What will be your choice if price is not an issue?

14 minutes ago, Matoonia said:

Eligible for recontract soon, so thinking of changing phone.. 

I've been a Huawei fan for last 7-8 years, Mate 8, Mate 9, Mate 10, and now Mate 20X. But too bad it does not come with GMS now so I'm looking at alternatives

1. Xiaomi 11

2. Samsung S21 ultra

3. One plus 9 

4. Oppo X3

What will be your choice if price is not an issue?

One plus 9. Been using OP for the past 2 years and can say i will be sticking to this brand for awhile. The nord looks like a good phone to run on a budget. Just make sure you are buying with the oxygen OS. But YMMV, i dont look at camera specs on a hp and i think op9 dont have ois which many "techie experts" are whining about. 

• Praise 1

2 minutes ago, Stratovarius said:

One plus 9. Been using OP for the past 2 years and can say i will be sticking to this brand for awhile. The nord looks like a good phone to run on a budget. Just make sure you are buying with the oxygen OS. But YMMV, i dont look at camera specs on a hp and i think op9 dont have ois which many "techie experts" are whining about. 

Wow I've had the oneplus 1 before! Had quite a good impression of Oneplus. Is the battery life good? 

One thing I like about my current Huawei Mate 20X is big screen for my old flower eyes and exceptional batt life. 

Supersonic

don't recontract, buy a phone, and sign up for a sim only plan.

it's a lot cheaper, as you aren't bind to expensive contract, which basically force you to pay high price for the phone for 24 months.

i use giga $10 per month. i tried tpg for seniors, but i didn't like the very limited 30 sms.

• Praise 3

41 minutes ago, Kb27 said:

it's a lot cheaper, as you aren't bind to expensive contract, which basically force you to pay high price for the phone for 24 months.

i use giga $10 per month. i tried tpg for seniors, but i didn't like the very limited 30 sms.

Second that! I stop getting mobile plan but Sim only for last 10 yrs I guess? I feel you that you are just paying telco monthly "installments" for the phone you get. My phone can easily last for 2-3yrs, at most just replace battery if life is shortened.. 

44 minutes ago, Kb27 said:

1 minute ago, Optramagnum said:

Second that! I stop getting mobile plan but Sim only for last 10 yrs I guess? I feel you that you are just paying telco monthly "installments" for the phone you get. My phone can easily last for 2-3yrs, at most just replace battery if life is shortened.. 

My phone under company so I can't change that. So usually I will just recontract and get a phone myself, or recontract and get new phone to sell.. 

• Praise 1

43 minutes ago, Blueray said:

price not an issue ?

Sony Xperia 1 III

[laugh]

Wow nvr expect this to pop out.. but I can't get this cos M1 no offer this phone lol. 

But is it good? 

1 hour ago, Matoonia said:

Wow I've had the oneplus 1 before! Had quite a good impression of Oneplus. Is the battery life good? 

One thing I like about my current Huawei Mate 20X is big screen for my old flower eyes and exceptional batt life. 

39 minutes ago, Matoonia said:

My phone under company so I can't change that. So usually I will just recontract and get a phone myself, or recontract and get new phone to sell.. 

i dont have battery problem with mine. usually 3 to 4 hours of screentime till 15% for a 2 year old phone. One good thing about one plus is the regular security and OS updates. 

Just get an iphone 12pro max and sell it for a profit. 

• Praise 1

42 minutes ago, Matoonia said:

Wow nvr expect this to pop out.. but I can't get this cos M1 no offer this phone lol. 

But is it good? 

am still a Sony hp user so I have preference for Xperia phones.

this model is still nor available here, think only just launched in China. 

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Strong-Xperia-1-III-sales-in-China-leave-Sony-already-rubbing-shoulders-with-Apple-and-Huawei-in-JD-com-top-10-chart.542427.0.html

Turbocharged

Need some help here..

My wife's phone (Samsung Note on Singtel) is not able to call me and my son.. of cos we did not block her.. Whatapps working.. but SMS oso don work..

anyone experience this? She can call her friends relative n others..

58 minutes ago, Ody_2004 said:

Need some help here..

My wife's phone (Samsung Note on Singtel) is not able to call me and my son.. of cos we did not block her.. Whatapps working.. but SMS oso don work..

anyone experience this? She can call her friends relative n others..

1) Does your wife and you/your son use the same network?

2) can you and your son call your wife?

Turbocharged
14 minutes ago, Somewhat1975 said:

1) Does your wife and you/your son use the same network?

2) can you and your son call your wife?

Yup all on singtel..

Called them and waited 45 mins.. dunno what they did and all fine now.

Thanks

• Praise 1

6 minutes ago, Ody_2004 said:

Yup all on singtel..

Called them and waited 45 mins.. dunno what they did and all fine now.

Thanks

Airplane mode?

On 6/7/2021 at 10:29 AM, Blueray said:

price not an issue ?

Sony Xperia 1 III

[laugh]

I am using Sony Xperia something.  Lost count. Whenever dead and out of warranty, I just go and get the next smallest Sony.  One less thing to think about.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2