What happened to Chevrolet? Extinct?

SGCMHello

(edited)

Burning question: Does the distributor of GM cars in Singapore use this DEXOS oils?

When I read your post, my initial thoughts was of cynicism. GM certainly don't make their own EO. Its probably a formulation that is unique to GM and they are trying to keep their cars within their own servicing network and disclaim responsibility in warranty claims. 

Its a difficult qns to ans. Some claim AM does use Dexos certified oil, while others said they don't. I cannot ans for my part since I used my own Dexos certified engine oil when I did my svcs with them. 

I suppose the difference in choices will be known approx 1-2 yrs down the road, if using non certified engine oil is as good to your GM engines or not. For GB, the damage caused by using non Dexron VI ATF could happen even sooner. 

In any case, its up to each Chevy owner to decide. You dont have to restrict yourself on AC Delco brand Dexos certified engine oil only. 

There are plenty of well established lub brands out there that offers Dexos certified oil. Its just that most of these brands are either rare in sg, or simply not available on regular retail shelves. You just have to know where to look for them in sg or self import from amazon whenever possible. 

Cost is surely lower than the reg engine oil you see on retail shelves. 

Edited by Cheefarn
↡ Advertisement

Supersonic

I am talking about the current lineup of GM products.

Those old rebadged Daewoos are not real Chevy despite they wearing a bowtie upfront. The engines, gb, drivetrain has little to do with GM and they certainly doesnt require DEXOS and Dexron VI to work properly.

The new Cruze is 100% GM, no Daewoo bits inside. The Trax is a US designed small crossover too

Yes Opel do have some engine models that were designed in Europe for its brand, esp the diesel engines. But from the 1,4L Ecotec onwards, its still GM North America all the way.

Only the Sonic hatch and sedans still have their roots traced back to the old Aveo days, but Sonic is hardly a showcase of what GM can offer for a small car. Cruze/Buick Varano certainly are.

In your own opinion, will Chevrolet Singapore come back and if so, which models will be introduced?

In your own opinion, will Chevrolet Singapore come back and if so, which models will be introduced?

It will definitely be back this year. Probably in 3Q to 4Q. Quite confirmed would be Trax, Cruze and Equinox. Price will not be cheap though. 

Supersonic

It will definitely be back this year. Probably in 3Q to 4Q. Quite confirmed would be Trax, Cruze and Equinox. Price will not be cheap though. 

Hope so...

And the new Malibu too. Hope we will get the proper 250hp 2L Turbo with the 9 speed AT. 

You mean there are cheap cars in sg?

And the new Malibu too. Hope we will get the proper 250hp 2L Turbo with the 9 speed AT. 

You mean there are cheap cars in sg?

Cheap is relative. It depends on how you see it. Personally, I feel that the ideal price for the new Cruze is 90k? Anything above 100k would make it relatively expensive for me. Same goes for Trax since it is using the same engine platform as Mokka X. 

http://www.chevrolet.co.kr/purchase/monthly-benefit.gm

Looking at Chevy Korea I think some of the past models like Orlando(1.6L turbodiesel) and Captiva(2.0L turbodiesel) won't be coming anytime soon. Only the Spark, Aveo and Cruze petrol variants will likely make it here first.

Actually it's a pity that the Orlando was stopped due to the VES. It was getting very popular near the end of last year. Pretty value for money since it was going at around 100k for a 1.4t engine. 

• Praise 1

http://www.chevrolet.co.kr/purchase/monthly-benefit.gm

Looking at Chevy Korea I think some of the past models like Orlando(1.6L turbodiesel) and Captiva(2.0L turbodiesel) won't be coming anytime soon. Only the Spark, Aveo and Cruze petrol variants will likely make it here first.

Its unlikely we will get the Spark and Sonic again. Offers too little in terms of value and tech powess as compared to other Japs models

I guess the new Cruze and Trax will be the smallest Chevy we have in SG when the brand does return by mid year

Cheap is relative. It depends on how you see it. Personally, I feel that the ideal price for the new Cruze is 90k? Anything above 100k would make it relatively expensive for me. Same goes for Trax since it is using the same engine platform as Mokka X. 

Actually it's a pity that the Orlando was stopped due to the VES. It was getting very popular near the end of last year. Pretty value for money since it was going at around 100k for a 1.4t engine. 

No bro. Orlando has already been killed off by GM. Nothing to do with VES.

The Equinox will replace both the Orlando and the Captiva together. Equinox will share similar drive train options as the new Malibu 

• Praise 1

(edited)

If u go back to AM, they will claim the GB is sealed for life and ATF doesn't require replacement!

There is no such things as a sealed GB. and all ATF requires changing. Nothing last forever, esp in our hot and humid climate, and freq start stop driving. You should adopt a severe, heavy duty driving environment svcs schedule in sg. 

That's what I do.   However, not many fans.   [laugh]

Edited by Kklee

Who is the dealer for Chevrolet?

Who is the dealer for Opel?

Are they from the same group?

[laugh]

Yes and your cars from both brands are svc together. 

So if anyone claims Opel svcs is better than Chevy and vice versa....show them.... [laugh]  [laugh]

Yes and your cars from both brands are svc together. 

So if anyone claims Opel svcs is better than Chevy and vice versa....show them.... [laugh]  [laugh]

IMHO, this type of relationship,  the model range should be mutually exclusive so as not to "rob" the sales of the other?  [laugh]

Supersonic

Some good news.

GM, South Korea agree $4.35 billion lifeline for GM Korea

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-gm-southkorea/gm-south-korea-agree-435-billion-lifeline-for-gm-korea-idUSKBN1HX074

SEOUL (Reuters) - General Motors (GM.N) and South Korea have agreed to inject $4.35 billions into the carmaker’s loss-making local arm to keep it afloat after it came close to seeking bankruptcy protection.

GM has been struggling to turn round the debt-laden unit, which has been hit by GM’s exit from Europe where it used to export many of its cars. GM Korea has announced plans to close one of its four South Korean plants and let go 2,600 workers. 

On Monday, GM reached a preliminary deal with its South Korean labor union, winning concessions on pay and bonuses that allowed GM Korea to avoid seeking bankruptcy protection. The deal was approved by union members on Thursday.

In a non-binding preliminary deal also on Thursday, the state-run Korea Development Bank (KDB) said it planned to provide $750 million to GM Korea, in proportion with its 17 percent stake. Detroit-based GM will invest $3.6 billion, while converting a $2.8 billion loan to the unit into equity, the KDB said. “The KDB has agreed to issue a conditional letter of commitment to GM on April 27, considering the urgency of GM headquarters’ liquidity support for GM Korea and aggravated management difficulties of suppliers, and smooth due diligence on GM Korea,” the KDB said in a statement.

The U.S. automaker owns 77 percent of GM Korea. KDB holds 17 percent and China’s SAIC Motor Corp Ltd (600104.SS) controls the remaining 6 percent. Under the preliminary deal with GM, the Korean state-run bank regains a veto power that allows it to block the carmaker’s sale of more than 20 percent of its assets, a KDB official said, declining to give further details.

The KDB said it would sign a legal binding contract with GM after seeing the final results of the due diligence in early May. The agreement came after GM president Dan Ammann said earlier on Thursday he was very close to finding a solution for the South Korean business. “Over the last few months, over the last few weeks a lot of very good progress has been made,” he said in a meeting with South Korean ruling party lawmakers.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1