Formula 1 (2018)

Wt_know

Yeah! Hope this challenge will continue!

I don't think McLaren is even up to Renault or Haas in terms of speed, not to mention RB. We should hear Alonso ranting soon..

Alonso should just go to Indy 500 :XD:

↡ Advertisement

Yeah! Hope this challenge will continue!

I don't think McLaren is even up to Renault or Haas in terms of speed, not to mention RB. We should hear Alonso ranting soon..

McLaren is using Renault this year. And with an experienced Alonso behind the wheel, I think he might be able to challenge the other Renault-powered teams. Kept Max behind him today.

McLaren is using Renault this year. And with an experienced Alonso behind the wheel, I think he might be able to challenge the other Renault-powered teams. Kept Max behind him today.

Alonso couldn't keep up with Ricciardo, ending up 20 seconds behind though there was a safety car restart, and see how there was a train of 4 cars trapped behind Alonso, all unable to overtake due to the tight circuit.

It's early days but it seemed that the McLaren chassis is not as good as they thought it was. Last year they claimed that only the Honda engine held them back and the car was as fast as any other in the corners.

Edited by Toeknee_33
  • Praise 1
  • Dislike 1

Alonso couldn't keep up with Ricciardo, ending up 20 seconds behind though there was a safety car restart, and see how there was a train of 4 cars trapped behind Alonso, all unable to overtake due to the tight circuit.

It's early days but it seemed that the McLaren chassis is as good as they thought it was. Last year they claimed that only the Honda engine held them back and the car was as fast as any other in the corners.

maybe Alonso was thinking P5 jin happy already ... better not push it.  [:p]

Very lucky Vettel today.

Yes Vettel was indeed lucky, however he had shown to be able to take pressure, put in consistent lap times and not make mistakes.

When Vettel continued to stay out after both Hamilton and Kimi had pitted, the only thing going on in my mind was that he must be waiting for a Safety Car deployment as his lap time was in the low 1 min 28sec while Hamilton was in the mid 1 min 27 sec.

Looking at the stats between Mercedes and Ferrari, the odds are in favour of Mercedes, at least for the Australia Grand Prix.

1.  Mercedes looked formidable in both Ultrasoft and Soft tyres.

2. Lewis was able to pull in faster lap times behind Vettel when he was on older soft tyres and in turbulent air.

3. Lewis Q3 pole lap was almost 0.7 sec ahead of Kimi, that was mind blowingly fast.

4. The only consolation I have is, Ferrari still has very good top speed, which makes overtaking in straight line much more difficult.

Ferrari has alot more work to do and catch up to Mercedes.

• Praise 3

To me, the lack of overtaking is disappointing. The superior car cannot overtake because of the "dirty" air behind the car in front, causing loss of grip and over-heating. Whenever Hamilton got to within 1 sec, he was in dirty air and could not close the gap to Vettel.

I thought Bottas in the superior Mercedes or Verstappen will carve their way through. However they were caught in a train with lots of turbulence and their cars could not perform as well as it could in clean air.     

To me, the lack of overtaking is disappointing. The superior car cannot overtake because of the "dirty" air behind the car in front, causing loss of grip and over-heating. Whenever Hamilton got to within 1 sec, he was in dirty air and could not close the gap to Vettel.

I thought Bottas in the superior Mercedes or Verstappen will carve their way through. However they were caught in a train with lots of turbulence and their cars could not perform as well as it could in clean air.     

Much as I agree that the turbulent air causes problems for the following car, the lack of overtaking is traditionally quite normal for Aussie GP due to the tight yet high speed nature of the corners and the lack of a truly long straight. Bahrain will be different.

Vet

Bot

Lewis

Toro Rosso Honda finishes ahead of McLaren Renault [:p]

The last 5 laps were nail-biting. I stopped breathing on Lap 56's first corner when Bottas made an attempt to take the lead.
  • Praise 1

The last 5 laps were nail-biting. I stopped breathing on Lap 56's first corner when Bottas made an attempt to take the lead.

Yeah, I continued watching because the cars will converge towards the end of the race with the different tyre strategies.

Felt that Bottas was a tad bit conservative with the move. If it were Lewis it would have happened.

Let's see how China turns out this weekend.

Maybe Bottas is going to Ferrari to replace his fellow Fin is why he is being kind to them. I do feel for the Ferrari mechanic. Ouch!! Don't think he can change tyre in Shanghai.

I do feel for the Ferrari mechanic. Ouch!! Don't think he can change tyre in Shanghai.

Leg broken in a few places, not gonna see him for a while...

(edited)

Really impressed with how vettel can make the tyre last till the end. There are so many things the driver have to do in this new era. Manage tyres, manage fuel, drive to a prescribed lap time, think of strategy, shout blue flags... Different kind of excitement compared to the old f1 which is all out racing from start to finish.

Edited by Rootkie
  • Praise 1

Variations of strategies for last night's race.

Wonder if the Toro Rossos will be a threat to Red Bull in China. 

post-15968-0-42072900-1523256854_thumb.jpg