Taiwan earthquake 6 Feb 2018

Jman888

[sweatdrop]

Two dead, over 200 injured in Taiwan quake
WED, FEB 07, 2018 - 6:18 AM
REUTERS

2018-02-06T214638Z_584958904_RC15D9D32FF 
[TAIPEI] A 6.4-magnitude quake on the east coast of Taiwan has left two dead and more than 200 injured, the government said, after buildings crumbled and trapped people inside.

A hotel and a residential block were the worst hit by the quake in the port city of Hualien, according to the national fire agency.

Five more buildings including a hospital had also been damaged, the agency added, with televison footage showing roads strewn with rubble, cracks along highways and damaged buildings tilted at angles.

The worst-hit Marshal Hotel partly crumpled into the ground, leaving it slanting on its side, as rescuers on cranes attempted to free people from its upper floors.

"It's the biggest quake I've experienced in Hualien in more than 10 years," resident Blue Hsu told AFP, who said his home shook violently.

Describing the scene at the Marshal Hotel, Hsu said the bottom storeys had been crushed.

"The lower floors sunk into the ground and I saw panicked tourists being rescued from the hotel. There is one bulldozer and about 50 rescuers on the scene," he said.

Hualien is one of Taiwan's most popular tourist hubs as it lies on the picturesque east coast rail line and is near to popular Taroko Gorge.

Facebook user Sun Chen-hsiang, who was livestreaming the scene at the hotel from a distance, told how the building next to his home had collapsed.

"All the people watching this livestream, please get yourself to a safe place and don't stay home," he said.

Photos on Apple Daily showed a man calling for help from the window of an apartment block and a ceiling collapse at a local hospital.

Officials from Hualien fire department said 149 people had been rescued from damaged buildings.

Authorities said some people remained trapped but were unable to give an overall figure.

Rescuers from around the island were preparing to help, Taiwan's president Tsai Ing-wen said on her Facebook page, promising rapid disaster relief.

There had been at least 15 aftershocks following the quake, Taiwan's weather bureau said.

QUAKE ANNIVERSARY

The quake hit at 23.50pm (1550 GMT) around 21km northeast of Hualien, according to the United States Geological Survey.

It follows almost 100 smaller tremors to have hit the area in the last three days and comes exactly two years since a quake of the same magnitude struck the southern Taiwanese city of Tainan, killing more than 100 people.

Most of the deaths from the February 2016 earthquake were from the 16-storey Wei-kuan apartment complex, which toppled on its side with many of its residents buried in the rubble.

It was the only high-rise in Tainan to crumble completely in the quake, which came two days before Lunar New Year, when many people would have been visiting relatives for the biggest celebration of the Chinese calendar.

The safety of the building was called into question immediately after the disaster, when metal cans and foam were found to have been used as fillers in the concrete and residents said there had been cracks in the structure.

Five people were found guilty and sentenced to five years imprisonment over the disaster, including the developer and two architects, with prosecutors saying they "cut corners" that affected the building's structural integrity.

Taiwan lies near the junction of two tectonic plates and is regularly hit by earthquakes.

The island's worst tremor in recent decades was a 7.6 magnitude quake in September 1999 that killed around 2,400 people.

AFP

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Got one earthquake thread in page 5.

Now you open another thread about Earthquake.

Not scared RadX ban you is it?

it strike near midnight when almost everyone was asleep, lucky no whole building collapse like the one 2 years ago.

an140413920topshot-rescue.jpg?w968h681

WireAP_96fc1eafd34a462a957a7ff835dde437_

6.4 and yet the building columns collapsed... probably 偷工减料。

花莲 side many old buildings not quake proof.

花莲 side many old buildings not quake proof.

yeah hualien many old buildings.

30-40 years cao cao.

my wife was saying, usually stay low floor logic is can run out faster.

But this one, low floor skarli kana pancaked  [:/]

• Praise 2

i met once when im in Taipei 31yrs ago.

scarey. we ran from 15 floor to the ground level and waited for few hours before we are allow to go back hotel to collect our luggage.

• Praise 1

i met once when im in Taipei 31yrs ago.

scarey. we ran from 15 floor to the ground level and waited for few hours before we are allow to go back hotel to collect our luggage.

wah jialat.

During my family's first trip to Taiwan 5 yr ago, first stop was hualian and first night maybe 3-4 am felt some tremors lasting less than a minute. Woke up momentarily but it stopped so went back to sleep. Kids didn't realise it.

When it happened, the power supply of the hotel was cut, and it got restored only by the time we woke up for breakfast. 

Lucky it was minor...

it strike near midnight when almost everyone was asleep, lucky no whole building collapse like the one 2 years ago.

We had visited the earthquake museum in Taiwan before. 

It was built at a school compound the was had widespread - though not completely flattened - destruction in this major 921 earthquake in 1999. magnitude was around 7-7.6.

The school compound was not repaired or torn down, and preserved as a live sample to let visitors see the extent of damage that a major earthquake can cause.

It was good. Even has an earthquake simulator.

That earthquake took >2000 lives. The one good thing (silver lining) about it was that it happened around 1-2 am, and the school that was so badly damaged, was closed. If it had happened during school hours, it would have been a much much bigger tragedy.

google for 九二一地震教育園區

and choose images to see photos of the museum site.

• Praise 2

We had visited the earthquake museum in Taiwan before. 

It was built at a school compound the was had widespread - though not completely flattened - destruction in this major 921 earthquake in 1999. magnitude was around 7-7.6.

The school compound was not repaired or torn down, and preserved as a live sample to let visitors see the extent of damage that a major earthquake can cause.

It was good. Even has an earthquake simulator.

That earthquake took >2000 lives. The one good thing (silver lining) about it was that it happened around 1-2 am, and the school that was so badly damaged, was closed. If it had happened during school hours, it would have been a much much bigger tragedy.

google for 九二一地震教育園區

and choose images to see photos of the museum site.

i visited 2 years after the earthquake. U can see some cliffs in taroko gorge that didn't exist anymore due to landslide  -_-

Looks like taiwan always kena earthquake.

Taiwan has close to hundred quakes a year... just that most are small scale and didnt make it to the 1st page of the newspaper.

i visited 2 years after the earthquake. U can see some cliffs in taroko gorge that didn't exist anymore due to landslide  -_-

I visited many years after that quake and the excavators are still clearing the huge boulders and rock fragments on the river bed... I wonder if they ever get it cleared before the next quake hits again.

• Praise 1

miracle that the building can still stand though slanted so badly. But i dun think it can hold another quake if it happen again.

post-1109-0-65715100-1517995127.jpg

↡ Advertisement