Taiwan earthquake 6 Feb 2018

Jman888

i met once when im in Taipei 31yrs ago.

scarey. we ran from 15 floor to the ground level and waited for few hours before we are allow to go back hotel to collect our luggage.

WOW , lucky it was 31 yrs ago ... if now , I think you cant run that fast anymore  :D  

I was in TY on that day Mar 11 ... on the 18th flr . No , there is no where for me to run .  :a-SOS:

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

miracle that the building can still stand though slanted so badly. But i dun think it can hold another quake if it happen again.

attachicon.gif4bde375da10e663653ae3c0fa0e2f74c.jpg

Most likely will get demolish soon Lao. So will not happen when another earthquake come unless it come again in next 1 or 2 wks. Edited by Yewheng

wah, can compete with Pisa leaning tower...  [laugh]

miracle that the building can still stand though slanted so badly. But i dun think it can hold another quake if it happen again.

attachicon.gif4bde375da10e663653ae3c0fa0e2f74c.jpg

i just spoke to my uncle. he was in Taipei for work when he felt the tremor last night.

A classmate is in Hualien on holiday. Lucky not affected  [sweatdrop]

Heard on radio some foreigners are affected.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asiapacific/taiwan-earthquake-hualien-foreigners-injured-9936614

HUALIEN: Seventeen foreigners sought medical treatment for minor injuries after a 6.4-magnitude earthquake hit the Taiwanese coastal city of Hualien, said Taiwan's Foreign Ministry on Wednesday (Feb 7).

No details were given on the nationalities of those injured but the ministry earlier said that 31 foreigners were affected, including two Singaporeans, 14 South Koreans, nine Japanese, two Czechs and one Filipino.

The two Singaporeans and 13 of the Koreans were in a temporary shelter at a stadium in Hualien, said local reports. The Singapore Trade Office in Taiwan told Channel NewsAsia that the Singaporeans went to the shelter because they were worried about the situation and have since left the stadium. 

Singapore's Ministry of Foreign Affairs later confirmed that there have been no reports of Singaporeans being injured.

The earthquake, which struck late Tuesday night, killed at least five people and left more than 240 injured.

Latest figures from government data on Wednesday indicated that 60 people were missing. Many of those were believed to be still trapped inside buildings, some of which have been tilting precariously since the quake hit.

Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asiapacific/taiwan-earthquake-hualien-foreigners-injured-9936614

(edited)

one PRC woman died, total death increase to 7.

the slanted building has 3 floor for hotel and above for residential.

Edited by Jman888

Taipei 101 was standing no ptoblem. this is something taiwan need to adreess. being earth quake zone, they need to be more stringent on building code. older buildings may have to come down. 

Taipei 101 was standing no ptoblem. this is something taiwan need to adreess. being earth quake zone, they need to be more stringent on building code. older buildings may have to come down.

Talk is cheap. Their govt where got money. They already cannot handle their impending pension crisis.

Low salaries for people, low revenue from taxation as a result. Ageing society. Occasional natural disasters still need additional budget to settle. Money no enough...

so wait for luck? if tall buildings are structurally unsound, then no option. waive administative charges and gets thing done. 

if no money then dont even have people to go and check whether structurally sound or not... 

Talk is cheap. Their govt where got money. They already cannot handle their impending pension crisis.

Low salaries for people, low revenue from taxation as a result. Ageing society. Occasional natural disasters still need additional budget to settle. Money no enough...

They have to surrender to China

They have to surrender to China

Just a matter of time. Yes. Just like the tide eroding the apostles. And it won't be on their terms eventually.

Unless there's political upheaval in China. Which Anyway we also have to worry about our own rice bowl liao lol...

Edited by Lala81

Just a matter of time. Yes. Just like the tide eroding the apostles. And it won't be on their terms eventually.

Unless there's political upheaval in China. Which Anyway we also have to worry about our own rice bowl liao lol...

I agree

I agree

Actually singapore should open the doors for the young Taiwanese. The only reason for not doing so is not to piss off big red brother.

Ah another reason would be their more liberal political views lol.

Edited by Lala81
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1