Newbies, post ur questions/request here

Laserjet

Hello everyone, 

I'm considering getting my first car. Previously only driven other ppl's car. 

However, I'm trying to decide whether to get a new car or a used car. So it would be between

A new Kia Stonic which is maybe 80-90k. 

A used Mercedes A Class which is about 90-100k. About 3 years old with dep at 10-11k.

So the new car would have less possibility of problems (I hope). 

But for about the same price (except maybe if suay, need to do some repairs in the near future), I could get a not so old conti car which is probably more comfy to drive and ride in. 

I know the 2 car choices are very different. My train of tot is, if I'm getting a new car, I want to get something different and interesting. 

If it was a used one, I want to get something comfy and good to drive as my previous exp in my friend's merc was good. But a new model is out of my budget. Trying to keep it below the 100k mark. 

So I was hoping to get some opinions on this. 

New car? Or a or a better car but used? 

Thanks! 

↡ Advertisement

Some points to consider:

New car - under warranty, anything just go back to distro (if you bought from them). If any recalls, you are also covered.

Used Conti car - conti parts replacement costs more. Have to factor this into the decision making. Are you willing/prepared to pay more for their parts?

Are you going to drive family etc?
This is a major point for me so I looked more at the safety features of the cars in consideration.

• Praise 1

On 1/10/2020 at 3:40 PM, SkimMilk said:

Some points to consider:

New car - under warranty, anything just go back to distro (if you bought from them). If any recalls, you are also covered.

Used Conti car - conti parts replacement costs more. Have to factor this into the decision making. Are you willing/prepared to pay more for their parts?

Are you going to drive family etc?
This is a major point for me so I looked more at the safety features of the cars in consideration.

Drive family around yes. But mainly just my parents. Car is mainly for myself. 

Parts replacement if not major overhaul, I guess still ok. Usually what's the premium like over a Japanese car? 

I was hoping a used conti (particularly Mercedes) would be more reliable, comfortable and maybe safer. 

23 hours ago, danielphua82 said:

Drive family around yes. But mainly just my parents. Car is mainly for myself. 

Parts replacement if not major overhaul, I guess still ok. Usually what's the premium like over a Japanese car? 

I was hoping a used conti (particularly Mercedes) would be more reliable, comfortable and maybe safer. 

Have never owned a conti so can't comment on the cost of parts.
You can search the forums for past posts about this topic.
Here's one of the threads: 

Edited by SkimMilk
  • Praise 1

Hi, I m driving a Volkswagen Jetta 1.4TSI. 
recently encountered engine oil leak while I noticed alarm in the dashboard. 
since it was no oil could be found in the dip stick I try to search for a nearby workshop. 
the Mechanic was suggesting me to change timing gaskets and surplus of many more as follows, 

1-engine oil hc7 n oil filter original $128
2-air filter $40
3-spark plug original 1set $140
4-socket coil $120
5-atf oil 7speed  $150
6-timing cover gasket,crank shaft oil seal,cam cover oring 2pcs,plug seal oring ,4pcs, gum gasket $880
7-crank pulley shaft n oring $110
8-fan belt $78
Labour $280 
Before gst 
If got anything extra part will let you know
-Extra part 
1-water pump $180
2-vaccum hose $95
3-cooland $120
Total amount -$2321+7%gst =$2483.47

since I never did similar repair work I am not able to justify whether the charges are reasonable or higher. However I felt that for a leak why should I change the fan belts, hoses and water pumps. 

can anyone advise?

thanks 

Neutral Newbie

If you are a car repair business owner, I would like to know more about your biggest problems as a business owner. 

What are your biggest problems as far as business is concerned?

If you had a magic wand that could fix any problem what would you have it do?

What do you want more of in your business that generates more profit/revenue?

Thank you for you response!

Neutral Newbie

Hello. I own a 2004 Hyundai Elantra. It was given to me as a present for my 17th birthday. It's been a fair bit later an I've now purchased a new car, however, I still love my Elantra. It's pretty beat up from previous owners but I've done my very best to keep it as clean and shiny as possible. I've modified it pretty lightly, adding things like rims, a spoiler, and some racing stripes.

Anyway, to get to the point, I want to completely rebuild the car and make it 100% unique so that I can keep it and use it as a show car of sorts.  I've made a list of everything I want to be done to the visuals and performance of the car:

• XT206R Black Cosmis Rims
  • LED Headlights + Fog Lights
  • Factory Light Spoiler
  • Body Kit
  • Re-Painted Metallic Black
  • Roof Rack
  • Suspension overhaul (sport tuned)
  • Engine + Transmission Swap (preferably a nice V6, nothing overkill) 
  • Exhaust overhaul

Obviously, this is a pretty dramatic list but that is more-or-less the point. I want it to be my project car, my 'big boys Hotwheels'. Seeing as I have more or less no idea how to do a large portion of this, any guidance would be greatly appreciated. The rims are a simple enough job but things such as engine + transmission options, body kit compatibility, general parts and most importantly prices are well out of my knowledge. 

This is a very loaded thread but I would appreciate any help towards achieving my dream 🙂

Ellie.PNG

On 2/6/2020 at 9:23 PM, J_C_M_L said:

Hi, hi.

anyone know if member is allow to advertise to sell his own carplate? Or only restricted to agent?

many thanks!

there is a thread on this  . 😁 

• Praise 2

Neutral Newbie

Hi, i’m a newbie. 

i did a mistake recently - wanted to own a copen and put in the $2k with sales agreement signed.

upon much consideration AFTER .. decided to go for a used 2016 Honda Fit G A , quoted at $54,800.

all this was done under the same sales rep and car dealer as I am under the impression that my deposit will not be forfeited.

However, as I did more research and reading on car forums, it is advisable to get a new car as the COE price is low now versus buying a used car that has a higher coe price. 

i have even checked the depreciation value of the Honda Fit 2016 that I may purchase; it is depreciating close to $8,000 to my surprise, rather than the average of $6500~ . However, the sales rep die die stressed out on the features of the used car model - it has cruise and keyless to justify the pricing. 

please advise, Would it be better to get a new Honda Fit with the current coe and risk losing my $2k, (or if i’m lucky, can it be refunded, at least part of the amount) or just proceed with the $54,800  2016 Honda Fit. 

Stressing out about this as this is my first time buying a car in Singapore. 🙏🙏

On 2/12/2020 at 12:38 AM, Ath said:

Hi, i’m a newbie. 

i did a mistake recently - wanted to own a copen and put in the $2k with sales agreement signed.

upon much consideration AFTER .. decided to go for a used 2016 Honda Fit G A , quoted at $54,800.

all this was done under the same sales rep and car dealer as I am under the impression that my deposit will not be forfeited.

However, as I did more research and reading on car forums, it is advisable to get a new car as the COE price is low now versus buying a used car that has a higher coe price. 

i have even checked the depreciation value of the Honda Fit 2016 that I may purchase; it is depreciating close to $8,000 to my surprise, rather than the average of $6500~ . However, the sales rep die die stressed out on the features of the used car model - it has cruise and keyless to justify the pricing. 

please advise, Would it be better to get a new Honda Fit with the current coe and risk losing my $2k, (or if i’m lucky, can it be refunded, at least part of the amount) or just proceed with the $54,800  2016 Honda Fit. 

Stressing out about this as this is my first time buying a car in Singapore. 🙏🙏

So u not local ? 

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 1

13 minutes ago, supr4siao said:

cant like posts. do i have limited functions?

U need to clock points ... ur force is weak young padawan 😅

• Praise 4

Supercharged

image.png.d9d5b84ea8d59430530cd0e47ddddb54.png

I get the above when I tried to "like" or react to a post. Is this my browser issue or it's a setting on MCF due to my points (being not enough) ?

Curious ..

Thanks!

Neutral Newbie

Minor accident as a p plate

Hi guys, I just got my license about a month and I started working as a parcel delivery driver. So just this Monday (11/04/20) I got into a minor accident with a Mercedes. I will roughly explain how did it happen and I guess it is most likely my fault. 

It was about 9-10pm at night and I’m driving at a landed estate in Sembawang. There were two passengers sitting right beside me in my Toyota haice and our SOP of delivering to landed property was I would park at the side of the road and one of them would get down and deliver the parcel. So as usual we followed our SOP but as it was at night and due to covid most of the cars are back and are being parked at the left side of the road therefore I am only able to park on the right side of the road.( take note that I am going left)

When I parked my vehicle my friend came down and delivered the parcel which is directly opposite on the left side of our vehicle. As soon as he delivered the parcel he came right back up and due to the fact that both mirrors were blocked by both of my passengers, I assumed there wasn’t any car that was behind and did not turn my head back to physically check my back window and therefore I started driving off. As I drove off, I felt an impact on the left side of my car and a mercs came by 
me and immediately stopped at the side of the road infront. 

We both parked our cars and discussed how are we going to settle the issue. The person behind the mercs was a middle aged man and he was with his son. He eventually called his wife over and his wife took charge of everything in his place. At first the wife was very nice kept saying to me “ah boy don’t worry I know you still young, don’t know how to handle this.. this kind of issue few hundred can settle already”. I called my boss and he gave me some random number to call regarding this issue. But throughout the whole time the person ( my boss’s recommendation) suggested for me to make a personal settlement with the opposing party due to the excess being 3k and would put me at a difficult spot. I agreed to it and told the exact same thing to the opposing party and we got each other contacts and exchange pictures of
Both our IC.

The next day I called the wife of the driver and her tone immediately changed. She say that you faster give me the money to fix my car I tried telling her that I started working for 2weeks and I Won’t be able to get my pay only on the 19th and she demands me to borrow it from my boss (which don’t want to have anything to do with this) or my parents. She even requested a $50 cab fee for her as she need to head right down to kaki bukit to do her car. I recommended a workshop which is opened by my friend to get her car fixed but she refused and say that this is a new car she got just for a few months and wants to get it fixed at the shop that her car dealership recommends. So we both settled with me going to pick her up at the dealership after she place her car over there to get it fixed.

Just this morning she texted me that she placed her car over at the workshop and would be ready by tonight. She even complained that I did not even fetch her in the first place when she never even informed me on when will she be doing her car and she did not even give me a call in the morning when she is on the way to the workshop. 

I just want to check am I liable to 100% of the dmg ? And are they even allowed to fix their car at a time like this bcos the car still can function so not counted as essential service right ? My van had no issues but their car got a small dent over at the driver seat and the side mirror(driver seat) got abit of paint chip off. Total repair cost is 705+50(cab fee). I just got this job and this boss would only give me my pay on 19th therefore I need to find ways to get the money for her. I tried bargaining with her that I pay her 400$ first and the remaining at the end of the month but she say if that’s the case she won’t sign the personal settlement form that my company gave me. I am so lost right now how should I handle this

Neutral Newbie

The repair costs is on the high side I think..... a dent, scratches, at most $200-300.

But still your carelessness, now really have to LL to “play the game” as both not claiming insurance.

Probably your company has opted for a lower premium for a much higher excess. So your boss wanted the drivers to be responsible for whatever fault and damages caused by the drivers.

Had you guys claimed the insurance, you can just ignore whatever transportation fees that lady is claiming, don’t even need to entertain her.

Too bad the costs will be borne by you, to save all these additional costs, you better bite the bullet and keep the costs as low as possible.

↡ Advertisement