Mercedes C class 2018

therock

thats means actual cash discount only 4k?

8k OT not much use if the trade in old car price is pressed very low

unless car is end of 10 years or old car price plus OT is much higher than market price of old car

They always does this, for example:

Current list price is $181,888.

Road show price $163,888. (Just example) This includes the $8k OT, $6k service credits, $2k discount from loan (min 50%) and finally (maybe) $2k discount from the road show. This is the "effective" net price.

You still paying $169,888 with car trade in or $177,888 without.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 9

Yes, top up 26.8k cash for new car. 

As we know with Rule of 78, the moment we take a car financing loan we are on losing terms if we terminate early. AD fixed rate interest still at 2.68%, so effective interest rate is 5.39%. What I do is just take the cash from the loan and park it in retail bonds to offset the interest. So the 3 year loan on my 7G is now parked in 3 year bonds with 4.65% coupon.  Of course, important to do homework and know which bonds to buy since that is a separate financial risk I am taking!  I will do the same thing with the new loan.  

There will be no service credit with new car unfortunately.  That gets rolled into the trade-in price.  But I can transfer my previous car service credits over. 

It will be interesting to see what kind of trade-in they are offering for the 1+ year CLA.  

Let me try to use another way like depreciation to calculate:

Driving your current C180 for 10yrs: $16,488 dep/yr 

Driving new C180 for 10yrs: $17,688 dep/yr

Trade in price minus your old car price = $164,888 - $150,000 = $14,888

Total cost of driving your current C180 for 17mths + new C180 for 10yrs (total 137 months) : ($14,888/12)*17 + $176,888 = $21,091 + $176,888 = $197,979

Annual depreciation for this setup: ($197,979/137) * 12 = $17,341 dep/yr

So the overall difference if you drove your current car for 10 yrs VS changing to a new C180 for the next 10 yrs: ($17,341 - $16,488) * 12 = $10,238.

So you are paying overall $10,238 more for the things that you want for the new C180.

Also considering you have extended your loan by another 17 months (interest haven add in).

Does my calculation makes sense?

• Praise 4

Let me try to use another way like depreciation to calculate:

Driving your current C180 for 10yrs: $16,488 dep/yr 

Driving new C180 for 10yrs: $17,688 dep/yr

Trade in price minus your old car price = $164,888 - $150,000 = $14,888

Total cost of driving your current C180 for 17mths + new C180 for 10yrs (total 137 months) : ($14,888/12)*17 + $176,888 = $21,091 + $176,888 = $197,979

Annual depreciation for this setup: ($197,979/137) * 12 = $17,341 dep/yr

So the overall difference if you drove your current car for 10 yrs VS changing to a new C180 for the next 10 yrs: ($17,341 - $16,488) * 12 = $10,238.

So you are paying overall $10,238 more for the things that you want for the new C180.

Also considering you have extended your loan by another 17 months (interest haven add in).

Does my calculation makes sense?

Wow, bro, thanks for taking the time and effort to make these calculations!!!   Really appreciate it.  I find it useful. I would make some tweaks.  

Since PARF goes back to owner my definition of depreciation factors in PARF value after 10 years: (current 7G car price - PARF value)/10 = (164,888-19,500)/10 = 14,538 

For the 9G: (176,888 - 22,000)/10 = 15488.   Since the OMV is pretty much the same, the difference in PARF between 7G and 9G mainly due to change in VES from 5k rebate to 10k surcharge. 

I am not sure why you take the difference in 7G car price and trade-in price and divide by 12 then multiply by 17?  The 150k trade-in price is locked in for the 17 months I will be driving my 7G until the 9G is delivered. So should it be (14,888 + 176,888 - 22,000) = 169,776? 

Then using your approach, annual depreciation is ($169,776/137) * 12 = 14,870

I am not sure why you multiply by 12 for overall difference calculation?  Did you mean to put in 10 for 10 years as you said? 

Overall difference = (14,870 - 14,538) * 10 = $3,320.  

Interestingly, the sum of the value of the useful additional parts of the enhanced car essential package which I will get with the 9G such as front brake pads (2x), rear brake pads (1x), battery replacement (1x), aircon chemical wash (I only include 1x - since 1x offered under current 7G package) and aircon filter (2x) sums up to $3280, almost offsetting the difference using your approach. Of course, we know the pricing by AD for these replacement parts and service is above market, but we still have to pay for it with service credits or cash as long as we service our car with AD during warranty period.  

Let me know if I didn't get it right. Thanks again. 

• Praise 2

(edited)

Wow, bro, thanks for taking the time and effort to make these calculations!!!   Really appreciate it.  I find it useful. I would make some tweaks.  

Since PARF goes back to owner my definition of depreciation factors in PARF value after 10 years: (current 7G car price - PARF value)/10 = (164,888-19,500)/10 = 14,538 

For the 9G: (176,888 - 22,000)/10 = 15488.   Since the OMV is pretty much the same, the difference in PARF between 7G and 9G mainly due to change in VES from 5k rebate to 10k surcharge. 

I am not sure why you take the difference in 7G car price and trade-in price and divide by 12 then multiply by 17?  The 150k trade-in price is locked in for the 17 months I will be driving my 7G until the 9G is delivered. So should it be (14,888 + 176,888 - 22,000) = 169,776? 

Then using your approach, annual depreciation is ($169,776/137) * 12 = 14,870

I am not sure why you multiply by 12 for overall difference calculation?  Did you mean to put in 10 for 10 years as you said? 

Overall difference = (14,870 - 14,538) * 10 = $3,320.  

Interestingly, the sum of the value of the useful additional parts of the enhanced car essential package which I will get with the 9G such as front brake pads (2x), rear brake pads (1x), battery replacement (1x), aircon chemical wash (I only include 1x - since 1x offered under current 7G package) and aircon filter (2x) sums up to $3280, almost offsetting the difference using your approach. Of course, we know the pricing by AD for these replacement parts and service is above market, but we still have to pay for it with service credits or cash as long as we service our car with AD during warranty period.  

Let me know if I didn't get it right. Thanks again. 

No worries bro, I love to calculate all these, hope it make sense... :D

Firstly, I just wana make things simple and I doesn't know the PARF values of your new and old c class so I din include in the calculation.

But if you know, you SHOULD definitely includes it in.

2ndly, I try to make the "units" the same so its easier for reference. Therefore I will make change some of the wordings to make things looks more sensible.

Driving your current C180 for 10yrs (assuming 19k parf): ($164,888 - $19,000)/12 = $14,588 dep/yr

Driving new C180 for 10yrs (assuming 22k parf): ($176,888 - $22,000)/12 = $15,488  dep/yr

Driving your current C180 for 17mths (Trade in price minus your old car price) = $164,888 - $150,000 = $14,888 

Total cost of driving your current C180 for 17mths + new C180 for 10yrs (total 137 months) : $14,888 +($176,888 - $22,000) = $169,776

Annual depreciation for this setup: ($169,776/137) * 12 = $14,871 dep/yr

So the overall difference if you drove your current car for 10 yrs VS changing to a new C180 for the next 10 yrs: ($$14,871 - $14,588) * 12 = $3,396.

The difference mainly due to the parf. Its seems quite a bargain for less than $5k for an upgrade to 9G.

Edited by Pohtk

(edited)

i have been using the same formula to SMOKE my wife for 10 years liao

say drive 10 years ... change new car ... top up abit nia ... sibei worth it leh

but every 3 years .... change car liao ... LOL

whatever formula we used ... it's only accurate IF the car is driven till the end of life where the calculations is based on

but ... mid life cycle ... 3-5 years ... sure change car liao

then depends on that time the remaining RULE78, bank interest rate, COE, simi sai VES band and AD profit margin ... [laugh]

So the overall difference if you drove your current car for 10 yrs VS changing to a new C180 for the next 10 yrs: ($$14,871 - $14,588) * 12 = $3,396.

Edited by Wt_know

i have been using the same formula to SMOKE my wife for 10 years liao

say drive 10 years ... change new car ... top up abit nia ... sibei worth it leh

but every 3 years .... change car liao ... LOL

Haha! True ley.. ... who can tahan more than 3yrs for car lovers! :D

thats means actual cash discount only 4k?

8k OT not much use if the trade in old car price is pressed very low

unless car is end of 10 years or old car price plus OT is much higher than market price of old car

Ya normally that is. Their trade in price is pretty low compared to others. So add OT maybe just around the same. So have to bargain more.

But one thing is good vs selling it yourself is or outside, they lock in the price irregardless of market condition.

Ya normally that is. Their trade in price is pretty low compared to others. So add OT maybe just around the same. So have to bargain more.

But one thing is good vs selling it yourself is or outside, they lock in the price irregardless of market condition.

I find the advantage of trade in is the one for one car exchange with the new car and not so much of the OT or trade in price.

Supersonic
Mercedes-Benz C-Class All-Terrain Is Coming

https://carbuzz.com/news/mercedes-benz-c-class-all-terrain-is-coming

428166.jpg

E class All terrain 

The desirable mix of sedan-like dynamics and crossover practicality that cars like Mercedes’ ownAll-Terrain E-Class and Audi’s Allroad offer would make sense in the smaller C-Class as well. Volvo has only just revealed its own V90 Cross Country and with most major manufacturers wanting to occupy every possible niche there is, the C-Class All-Terrain could be a logical addition to the range. Currently, US customers wanting a Mercedes wagon can choose from between the capable E400 4MATIC or fire-breathing AMG E63 S.But the range is soon to expand and is far broader for European customers.

Perhaps we will get a wider selection in the coming years, even the existing E-Class All-Terrain would be a welcome addition and could test the waters for any possible forthcoming All-Terrain derivatives. The current C-Class is currently undergoing a facelift to better prepare it for its final phase of production, models like the C 350e plug-in hybrid and downsized performance derivatives such as the C43 sedan are likely to form a more central role in the coming years too. All things considered, the prospect of an ultra-efficient semi-autonomous hybrid C-Class All-Terrain may not be as far-fetched as you might think.

• Praise 1

Inside.

Only windscreen fog up.

The cabin is usually very warm after you turn off the engine. The engine heat is able to get into the cabin somehow. I think that’s a possible cause for the fog when the outside temperature is lower than the warm cabin.

• Praise 1

They are offering 5k discount on $181,888 so it is $176,888. I was at Vivocity roadshow and they are offering the same price.  Then they add in COE discount, OT and service credits and say effective price is $163,888. 

Btw Bro, since you wanted the 9G and the latest, why not wait for the facelift? When you new car arriving? I'm pretty sure they will somehow mentioned about the facelift that is coming...

Neutral Newbie

Hi i am considering purchasing a car with autonomous features like adaptiv cruise control, park assist and collision avoidance. I know a lot of models have basic park assist and cruise control but I want really autonomous control where the machine takes over and I do not need to do anything. Which models would you recommend? they don't have to be new models. are these features optional ? thank you!

park assist and collision avoidance -> standard on most models at least the more recent C class onwards

Adaptive cruise control is almost always optional unless you choose top spec fully loaded models or sometime first edition launch batches.

Hi i am considering purchasing a car with autonomous features like adaptiv cruise control, park assist and collision avoidance. I know a lot of models have basic park assist and cruise control but I want really autonomous control where the machine takes over and I do not need to do anything. Which models would you recommend? they don't have to be new models. are these features optional ? thank you!

• Praise 1

Fully autonomous cars are not available yet.

The most autonomous enabled cars these days are the Hyundai Sonata, i40, Toyota Prius, Sienta, Honda Vezel, Mazda 3...

• Praise 1

Fully autonomous cars are not available yet.

The most autonomous enabled cars these days are the Hyundai Sonata, i40, Toyota Prius, Sienta, Honda Vezel, Mazda 3...

Er bro, I don't think half of these cars are anywhere close to being autonomous..

↡ Advertisement