Mercedes C class 2018

therock

AD offered 150k for your 17months ride? That’s a good offer.

The new 9G car how much they selling net of discounts? C180 lowest spec is listed at $181,888

They are offering 5k discount on $181,888 so it is $176,888. I was at Vivocity roadshow and they are offering the same price.  Then they add in COE discount, OT and service credits and say effective price is $163,888. 

↡ Advertisement

Don't do it

cars in the same year as the launch of the new model, when you sell next time will be very poor thing one

buyer rather get the newer model, because even if you willing to sell at lower depreciation than the new model,

the total quantum of the loan is still almost as high as the 2nd hand newer model

I understand what you mean.  My 7G was one of the last before the 9G models came in and I know that my 7G would suffer in resale market by comparison with the 9G but I was happy with the price offered and did not want to pay up for 9G then.  I planned to drive my 7G for full 10 years so not concerned about resale value but this offer now lets me drive a 9G at pretty much same depreciation level as my 7G, so I am wondering why not? 

I understand what you mean.  My 7G was one of the last before the 9G models came in and I know that my 7G would suffer in resale market by comparison with the 9G but I was happy with the price offered and did not want to pay up for 9G then.  I planned to drive my 7G for full 10 years so not concerned about resale value but this offer now lets me drive a 9G at pretty much same depreciation level as my 7G, so I am wondering why not? 

I planned to drive my 7G for full 10 years so not concerned about resale value

[confused]  ..... aren't you not keeping your 7G for the full 10 yrs? and if you don't keep your 9G for the full 10 yrs also?

• Praise 1

I planned to drive my 7G for full 10 years so not concerned about resale value

[confused]  ..... aren't you not keeping your 7G for the full 10 yrs? and if you don't keep your 9G for the full 10 yrs also?

Got me there!  I never thought the day would come when I would seriously consider selling 1+ year old car but this trade-in offer seems to be above market from what I can see and what some bros say. It seems all I pay is the straight line depreciation of my 7G for 17 months which is 20.5k. So I add 20.5k to 150k and get 170.5k vs offer price of 176.8k.  The increase in PARF value (2.5k) since no VES rebate and useful enhanced car essentials like brake pads, battery and aircon service/filter (3.3k) close the 6.3k gap. Do let me know if my calculation is wrong. 

I guess if I get same offer down the road on the 9G, where I just pay straight line depreciation to change to a new car, I will consider it but I think this sort of deal is rare.  

Where I think I will lose on this deal is if COE drops 10-20k from here and AD drops price by same before car is delivered but that is normal risk that everyone faces.  

Got me there! I never thought the day would come when I would seriously consider selling 1+ year old car but this trade-in offer seems to be above market from what I can see and what some bros say. It seems all I pay is the straight line depreciation of my 7G for 17 months which is 20.5k. So I add 20.5k to 150k and get 170.5k

vs offer price of 176.8k.

The increase in PARF value (2.5k) since no VES rebate and useful enhanced car essentials like brake pads, battery and aircon service/filter (3.3k) close the 6.3k gap. Do let me know if my calculation is wrong.

I guess if I get same offer down the road on the 9G, where I just pay straight line depreciation to change to a new car, I will consider it but I think this sort of deal is rare.

Where I think I will lose on this deal is if COE drops 10-20k from here and AD drops price by same before car is delivered but that is normal risk that everyone faces.

Sounds like a good deal. If you feel like changing, just go ahead. End of the day, you're the one paying for it, not us. We can help you drive it if you want :)
  • Praise 2

Sounds like a good deal. If you feel like changing, just go ahead. End of the day, you're the one paying for it, not us. We can help you drive it if you want :)

Haha! Thanks.   Appreciate the feedback from everyone as it helps me think through whether this deal makes sense. 

Got me there!  I never thought the day would come when I would seriously consider selling 1+ year old car but this trade-in offer seems to be above market from what I can see and what some bros say. It seems all I pay is the straight line depreciation of my 7G for 17 months which is 20.5k. So I add 20.5k to 150k and get 170.5k vs offer price of 176.8k.  The increase in PARF value (2.5k) since no VES rebate and useful enhanced car essentials like brake pads, battery and aircon service/filter (3.3k) close the 6.3k gap. Do let me know if my calculation is wrong. 

The calculation sounds abit odd to me, I guess its more than that.... but as long as you are happy with the new ride its fine  [laugh] 

What is the after all discount price(payable, not inclusive any service credit etc) of your c class then?

What is the after all discount price (payable, not inclusive any service credit etc) of your new c class now?

I got a friend just like you wanting to change this 1yr+ old CLA... haven't decide if its worth it.

• Praise 1

Supercharged

So you top up 26.8k  cash and get the new car?

How about loan - is it higher interest, is there penalty to terminate your current loan so early? Hope you have taken that into account.

The additional PARF, extra servicing and very slightly better specs sound attractive though

• Praise 1

(edited)

So you top up 26.8k  cash and get the new car?

How about loan - is it higher interest, is there penalty to terminate your current loan so early? Hope you have taken that into account.

The additional PARF, extra servicing and very slightly better specs sound attractive though

Yes, top up 26.8k cash for new car. 

As we know with Rule of 78, the moment we take a car financing loan we are on losing terms if we terminate early. AD fixed rate interest still at 2.68%, so effective interest rate is 5.39%. What I do is just take the cash from the loan and park it in retail bonds to offset the interest. So the 3 year loan on my 7G is now parked in 3 year bonds with 4.65% coupon.  Of course, important to do homework and know which bonds to buy since that is a separate financial risk I am taking!  I will do the same thing with the new loan.  

The calculation sounds abit odd to me, I guess its more than that.... but as long as you are happy with the new ride its fine  [laugh] 

What is the after all discount price(payable, not inclusive any service credit etc) of your c class then?  $164,888

What is the after all discount price (payable, not inclusive any service credit etc) of your new c class now? $176,888

I got a friend just like you wanting to change this 1yr+ old CLA... haven't decide if its worth it.

There will be no service credit with new car unfortunately.  That gets rolled into the trade-in price.  But I can transfer my previous car service credits over. 

It will be interesting to see what kind of trade-in they are offering for the 1+ year CLA.  

Edited by Halo
  • Praise 1

Seem like you got your numbers all figured out. Kudos to that because I for one will not have the patience to go drill down to the level of financial detail as you when it comes to buying cars. 

But one word of advice, before you get all suck into the minutiae dollars and cents of the deal, take a step back and look at the overall picture. It might make financial sense to you but ask yourself, do you really need a not very much different C-class and go through the hassle of the deal with trading in, reparking your bonds etc etc. 

Your 26.8k cash can be used to buy some blue chips (or whatever investment vehicle that suits your risk appetite) will gain you much more than what a 9G C Class can give you. 

Yes, top up 26.8k cash for new car. 

As we know with Rule of 78, the moment we take a car financing loan we are on losing terms if we terminate early. AD fixed rate interest still at 2.68%, so effective interest rate is 5.39%. What I do is just take the cash from the loan and park it in retail bonds to offset the interest. So the 3 year loan on my 7G is now parked in 3 year bonds with 4.65% coupon.  Of course, important to do homework and know which bonds to buy since that is a separate financial risk I am taking!  I will do the same thing with the new loan.  

There will be no service credit with new car unfortunately.  That gets rolled into the trade-in price.  But I can transfer my previous car service credits over. 

It will be interesting to see what kind of trade-in they are offering for the 1+ year CLA.  

• Praise 5

Seem like you got your numbers all figured out. Kudos to that because I for one will not have the patience to go drill down to the level of financial detail as you when it comes to buying cars. 

But one word of advice, before you get all suck into the minutiae dollars and cents of the deal, take a step back and look at the overall picture. It might make financial sense to you but ask yourself, do you really need a not very much different C-class and go through the hassle of the deal with trading in, reparking your bonds etc etc. 

Your 26.8k cash can be used to buy some blue chips (or whatever investment vehicle that suits your risk appetite) will gain you much more than what a 9G C Class can give you. 

Thanks, I really value your sensible advice - not only now but from way back.  For me, I see driving a car as a sunk cost and this move as simply a 17 month extension of my car life albeit with a 9G now.   

Thanks to everyone else too for your viewpoints.  It helped in making me think this through carefully. 

• Praise 2

Supersonic

Just now, i saw a Merc C with fog up windscreen.

Why huh?

1.png

fog is inside or outside? if inside means air inside is hotter than outside lo...

Supersonic

fog is inside or outside? if inside means air inside is hotter than outside lo...

It always happens in the early mornings for many cars.

C180 going for 163,888. Vivo roadshow or showroom. What did they exclude? Price seems very good.

They always does this, for example:

Current list price is $181,888.

Road show price $163,888. (Just example) This includes the $8k OT, $6k service credits, $2k discount from loan (min 50%) and finally (maybe) $2k discount from the road show. This is the "effective" net price.

You still paying $169,888 with car trade in or $177,888 without.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1