Maxus G10 SE - The full-size MPV that goes under the radar

Heartlander

Was quite surprise to chance upon this ride when reading on some car news last night. Did not notice its availability over here before that at all. Really low key as it was never publicized in any way at all, as should have.

http://www.sgcarmart.com/new_cars/newcars_overview.php?CarCode=12237

http://i.i-sgcm.com/new_cars/cars/12237/brochures/brochure_20180124082626.pdf

http://www.carbuyer.com.sg/index.php/news/1456-sg-motorshow-2018-this-chinese-mpv-costs

All along I had noticed that Maxus in Malaysia has a MPV line under G10 which was not brought over here when C&C clinched the dealership. I had always thought the ride looks good as it has similar shape and finishing as Starex which is also not really available here as quite ex at S$170k. Anyway, people up north are quite fortunate as they have options that are equivalent to Alphard/Vellfire at substantially lower costs. 

So I am quite happy to read that since Jan/2018, the Maxus G10 SE is available over here under 2 trims at $140k and $150k. I do not know the exact difference between the 2 trims except for the electric tailgate (with leg motion) and the 18" wheels and sun roofs, but standard features such as TPMS, 360 camera, and adaptive cruise control are quite useful. And the ride comes with 6-speed gear mated to a 2L turbocharged engine that provides a respectable century sprint of 10.2 seconds which I read somewhere. The ride is long at 5.1m but not very tall at 1.928m, and very wide at close to 2m.

Finishing wise, I would think better not to expect too much as it is definitely in Starex category. It should be more of a workhorse, like Biante, with plastic parts all over. Of course reliability is not proven at this moment as it is very new. But I do not foresee any issues as it is carried by C&C.

Anyway it is not really possible to get a full-size MPV under AD right now other than Alphard/Vellfire/Elgrand, except for Saangyong Stavic which seems no longer available in sgcarmart now. If willing to go PI, the triplets and Stpwagon are potential candidates, but then again they are really a size smaller. Biante also seems to be obsoleted for good now.

But I do not foresee this ride to sell well, as not many families would need such a big ride to begin with. But definitely happy to more options in this climate especially with the new VES resulted in a lot of models being pulled from the market. Really good luck to the C&C people.

post-101253-0-77365900-1518923508_thumb.jpg

post-101253-0-84364900-1518923520_thumb.jpg

post-101253-0-07674100-1518923533_thumb.jpg

post-101253-0-93947900-1518923541_thumb.jpg

post-101253-0-36748400-1518923551_thumb.jpg

post-101253-0-93680800-1518923560_thumb.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Made in China? I think better there are better options out there

When pi Alphard is priced at lesser than 175k...it is unlikely that one will save 25k to buy an unproven Chinese car
  • Praise 2

Wonder why cnc bring in this brand when customers here generally avoid China cars?

Because they think they can flog a dead horse to revive it.

As shown with Mitsubishi.

But failed with proton

Edited by Brass
  • Praise 1

This is just another option that is available in our market. 

True that it is made-in-china, but the quality is not that bad based on reviews read. With many here accepting made-in-Thailand and made-in -indon cars, I would think why not if the price is right with acceptable quality.

As a van-based product, similar to Starex, it would definitely not be targeting the high end market. Go read some reviews from Malaysia as it has been available there since mid of 2017.

• Praise 1

When pi Alphard is priced at lesser than 175k...it is unlikely that one will save 25k to buy an unproven Chinese car

If you are to add in all the comparable features, it would not be 175k for PI Alphard.Vellfire. 

You know how people consider until brain damage just over a few Ks when deciding on different rides, this 35k is definitely not that small lah.

• Praise 1

This is just another option that is available in our market.

True that it is made-in-china, but the quality is not that bad based on reviews read. With many here accepting made-in-Thailand and made-in -indon cars, I would think why not if the price is right with acceptable quality.

As a van-based product, similar to Starex, it would definitely not be targeting the high end market. Go read some reviews from Malaysia as it has been available there since mid of 2017.

For me it’s back to the same adage. Khiang can already.... mai kay khiang. Selecting such a “unique” brand is setting oneself up for financial and metal torture. Like lala81 said. A car is to serve us and not we serve it. A MPV is a people carrier and 7-8 lives depend on it for safety and reliability. Opportunity cost is great. So why risk it.

I know you meant well to present another choice. But sorry to say that this is a shitty choice. An ancient design which dates back to the early 2000s. It never succeeded as a van and no doubt will only bring more worries

Feel free to add your comments, except for those very generic ones like it is a china van, which is so very obvious. Good to create some awareness for this ride. I hope all will not just kill it without giving it a chance. It definitely is a lot of buck for the money, especially with the 10.2s century sprint for such a big ride yet only incur a 2L road tax.

I for one would definitely be willing to go showroom for a look before condemning it if I am still looking for a full-size MPV. 

When customers know it's made in China, they may not want to touch

Same as some people when they know a ride is a made-in-korea car. No offence but definitely true even now.

• Praise 2

For me it’s back to the same adage. Khiang can already.... mai kay khiang. Selecting such a “unique” brand is setting oneself up for financial and metal torture. Like lala81 said. A car is to serve us and not we serve it. A MPV is a people carrier and 7-8 lives depend on it for safety and reliability. Opportunity cost is great. So why risk it.

I know you meant well to present another choice. But sorry to say that this is a shitty choice. An ancient design which dates back to the early 2000s. It never succeeded as a van and no doubt will only bring more worries

Thanks for acknowledging that my intention was good. I have nothing to gain if people are STUPID enough to buy this ride, and they really have no one to blame but themselves when facing with many safety and reliability issues later on.

But if people at 70s also have this mindset, then would MIJ cars got chance to be where they are now?

And if people at 90s also have this mindset, then would MIK cars got chance to be where they are now?

Khiang can already.... mai kay khiang.

• Praise 1

There are those who have been haunted by images of MIC cars being squashed into sardine cans during crash tests, and could never get out of them like the scary RING movies.

It is true that this G10 van is only 3-star as I have just googled out. But at least it is not as bad as in the past. I do not bother to find more, but in Australia in the year 2017, there are more than five percent of STUPID people living there as they bought this ride. Not surprising.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/570414/ldv-g10-ancap-three-star-crash-test-rating-confirmed/

And you will be STUPID to think that MIC cars are not able to achieve 5-stars rating in crash tests. D90 is from Maxus too.

https://www.ancap.com.au/safety-ratings/ldv/d90/015f74

So you see, people will progress. You can choose to be a mountain sage and come out of your cave only when the world is perfect. Your choice.

I think I have posted enough on this.  Never imagine just creating awareness also need to put in so much effort dealing with the fake/bad press! No wonder the folks at C&C are silent when and after launching this ride, hoping that nobody would take notice and that they not have to deal with the ensuing stupid questions tactfully. Good strategy.  [thumbsup]

Added: 

Read this article to know more about this car maker and the car. You will become wiser instantly:

https://www.carsifu.my/news/top-technologies-from-saic-motor-in-maxus-g10

Edited by Heartlander
  • Praise 1

Anyone remembers that the British commercial vehicles brand, LDV, that was trying to penetrate the local market in the 1990s?

For those who keep thinking MIC car is sure a safety disaster and you are putting the precious family at stake if you go out to buy one and use it every time, please grow up abit. I am not saying every MIC cars are good, but please keep your eyes open to prevent the joke from being turned on you.

Just look at the LDV cars from tested in Aussie land:

http://www.ancap.com.au/safety-ratings/ldv

Can you spot any trend? Let me help you just in case - those LDV cars made from 2017 were all awarded 5-stars! So does it give you any confidence? Or you continue to live in your cave and think like a wise gut that all MIC cars are safety hazards? Ok, your choice really. Just please do not continue to spew the nonsense that all MIC cars are nonsense when it comes to safety.

Remember how the generation before us and even our generation used to mock at the MIJ cars and MIK cars? Now do you still think they are not good enough for you? For MIC cars, no need to wait for so long, they have already managed to improve and progress so quickly that they can attain 5-stars standard NOW. I am not pro China, but just giving respect where it is due and deserve. 

• Praise 3

Stigma and perceptions need time to change... The problem comes when people want to force their point of view upon others..

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1