Used 7 seater MPV - Best to get?

Lurpsexx

The Odyssey and Previa/Estima are both heavy cars and compared to a sedan, the fuel costs will be higher. Smaller MPVs will be more economical if it is a concern and space not so important.

Sienta ftw!!
  • Praise 1

Bro, any third party supplier for vw parts n outside workshop to repair be cars? Like Fong tat etc..

Bro, any third party supplier for vw parts n outside workshop to repair be cars? Like Fong tat etc..

There are many but I only get from kian hua. The 2.0TSI engine has been around for quite awhile and many known wear and tear parts are identified for change when its time is due. Easy to fix.

There are many but I only get from kian hua. The 2.0TSI engine has been around for quite awhile and many known wear and tear parts are identified for change when its time is due. Easy to fix.

Thanks for the tip bro!

Sienta ftw!!

Haha! I tot too, but my wife say Nay! Haha..

The Odyssey and Previa/Estima are both heavy cars and compared to a sedan, the fuel costs will be higher. Smaller MPVs will be more economical if it is a concern and space not so important. 

I have a 2016 8-seater Estima and can attest to that the vehicle consumes quite a lot of fuel.. I get around 7.4km/l on average with 70% city driving. 

However, when it comes to space and it is a clear leader.. my ride can easily fit 9 adults plus 1 kid with ample room for luggages, and going uphill ~20deg slope, without feeling weakness in power.

As for reliability, I had no major problems for my previous ride for over 9 years, also an Estima (older model). The same can be said for a friend who has the same and driving it into its 10th year. I have also never heard of Estima being towed..

Hope that helps.

• Praise 5

I have a 2016 8-seater Estima and can attest to that the vehicle consumes quite a lot of fuel.. I get around 7.4km/l on average with 70% city driving. 

However, when it comes to space and it is a clear leader.. my ride can easily fit 9 adults plus 1 kid with ample room for luggages, and going uphill ~20deg slope, without feeling weakness in power.

As for reliability, I had no major problems for my previous ride for over 9 years, also an Estima (older model). The same can be said for a friend who has the same and driving it into its 10th year. I have also never heard of Estima being towed..

Hope that helps.

Good testimony.

Just like to add that if you're taking many people often, then 7.4 km/l for 70% city driving is decent, for such a big car.

I used to drive a 1.6l ford focus, with probably 90% city driving. And i only got 8-8.5 km/l. on a bad day with jams, i can safely say the trip goes down to 5-6 km/l.

The city driving with traffic light every few hundred metres, will kill the FC.

• Praise 2

Good testimony.

Just like to add that if you're taking many people often, then 7.4 km/l for 70% city driving is decent, for such a big car.

I used to drive a 1.6l ford focus, with probably 90% city driving. And i only got 8-8.5 km/l. on a bad day with jams, i can safely say the trip goes down to 5-6 km/l.

The city driving with traffic light every few hundred metres, will kill the FC.

thanks ....i feel much better after reading about your FC

last time when i said fc could be 5km/l in city driving, people asked if i was driving an exotic supercar or something similar 

<_<  :D

thanks ....i feel much better after reading about your FC

last time when i said fc could be 5km/l in city driving, people asked if i was driving an exotic supercar or something similar 

<_<  :D

I could never believe that it is that bad without seeing it with my own eyes too... From my office back home is only 4.5 km, and there are 8 traffic lights in between, of which 3 of them could need to wait 2 times then can clear... On a bad day with road works or breakdown or just heavy traffic in front, one of them might need 3-4 rounds to clear... That means more time spent stationary than moving  [bigcry]

Then not forgetting that i park at basement carpark - have to turn and turn before start parking.

Even hybrid car also not likely to cross 10 km/l, i believe.

Maybe try telling your wife that the petrol bill of the Sienta is about half of the Odyssey/Estima every single month.

Lol.. thanks bro.. I tried.. It's the look that irks her..lol
  • Praise 1

Lol.. thanks bro.. I tried.. It's the look that irks her..lol

My in-law just got rear ended in a Sienta by a Golf... The bumper of a Sienta is really really low and non existent, hit right at the boot door (no way to avoid that part getting hit) and it dented in, luckily nobody was in the 3rd row...
  • Praise 2

My in-law just got rear ended in a Sienta by a Golf... The bumper of a Sienta is really really low and non existent, hit right at the boot door (no way to avoid that part getting hit) and it dented in, luckily nobody was in the 3rd row...

Wa, hope your in law is ok.. yes, I did take note of the sienta backside, n there seems to be no real bumper there.. only a think plastic moulding at the rear..dunno how sienta was designed to absorb rear hits.. yes,lucky no 3rd row passengers, otherwise will be crushed forward to second row..

Wa, hope your in law is ok.. yes, I did take note of the sienta backside, n there seems to be no real bumper there.. only a think plastic moulding at the rear..dunno how sienta was designed to absorb rear hits.. yes,lucky no 3rd row passengers, otherwise will be crushed forward to second row..

Actually, this is the inherent risk of almost all MPVs. The fact that they are only almost as long as a normal car (of same capacity), and not any longer, means that the 3rd row seats are occupying the boot space of a normal sedan. In times of rear-end collisions, the 3rd row is really vulnerable. 

For the mid-sized MPVs and compact MPVs, there is almost nothing between the 3rd row seats and the bumper, if any. 

If really want to have decent protection, then it will minimally need to have ody/estima class where at least there's some boot space between the 3rd row and the tailgate. But even then, this is not a big consideration for car manufacturers, as they will focus on passenger comfort and accord more leg room to the passengers instead of giving more luggage/boot space.

Then if want really big luggage/boot space, the vehicle is likely to be van-like and not too stylish. The Hyundai iMax (Starex here) i rented before overseas, is one example. I think it's quite safe, as there is enough space to put 28" luggages (by the length, not width) behind the 3rd row.

That's the inevitable trade off...