Used 7 seater MPV - Best to get?

Lurpsexx

my 09 RB3 bought around 100k in 2012, if renew based on 2018 Feb PQP at around 44, depreciation also 144k/16 = 9k [sweatdrop]

That's very decent for a full sized mpv liao leh.
↡ Advertisement

my 09 RB3 bought around 100k in 2012, if renew based on 2018 Feb PQP at around 44, depreciation also 144k/16 = 9k [sweatdrop]

Bro. Don't look back. Going forward, if you renew its like (30+44k)/10=7.4k depreciation per year lah.

You might want to consider Kia Carens also. Very modern looking but no sliding doors. With diesel engine so could be more frugal despite higher road tax.

Or even get a used Biante which comes with sliding doors which should serve your needs better as it is really spacious and very reliable too.

Haha, thanks bro. I also tested the Carens before getting my current car, n it's interior is not 7 seater to me.. more like 5 seater with 2 mini seats behind to fold down for barangs.. can't really seat anyone.. n that time it's price was 120+, so really not value..

Ya, I read about Mazda 5 crash test worthiness n it's not encouraging..add to that only 2 airbags in front, also not so safe.. but looking at it from a total package of utility, this is a negative point in the midst of pluses for me.. so that's why I had to compromise somewhat.. can't have my cake n eat it too..

But thanks to all for your continued feedback and advice.. appreciated.. ;)

Edited by Lurpsexx

actually the toyota noah/voxy/esquire triplet might be worth a look? parallel import 125k thereabouts for a full size made in japan MPV with sliding door pretty tempting

I'm getting 14km/l in non eco mode and 19km/l in eco mode in my Hybrid Voxy.

Wow that's very good for such a big car.

Is that mostly highway? I've attained 14 km/l if the trip is mostly highway, but if it's that short distance from my workplace to home during peak hours, where it's possible to spend more time stopping than moving, it would be a challenge to get good FC...

• Praise 1

You might want to consider Kia Carens also. Very modern looking but no sliding doors. With diesel engine so could be more frugal despite higher road tax.

Or even get a used Biante which comes with sliding doors which should serve your needs better as it is really spacious and very reliable too.

I think Carens has improved dramatically in the current (and maybe the immediate last) model.

But I remember when i was looking for a new MPV back in 06, the Carens' 3rd row was a joke. I think even put kids there they will also complain.

If TS is looking at an old MPV to renew COE, and if it was that model, then it's not a good choice. But i'm not sure when did the 'much-improvement' take place. If those going to reach 10 yr Carens now are already the improved one, then maybe can consider.

actually the toyota noah/voxy/esquire triplet might be worth a look? parallel import 125k thereabouts for a full size made in japan MPV with sliding door pretty tempting

Yes, these boxy MPVs are very spacious. But must be able to accept the style/look. I was very keen to consider them, but my wife veto'ed it and said it was non-negotiable...  [sweatdrop]  In any case, we later decided not to get another MPV, so avoided any argument...

But for PI boxy MPVs, best to keep to these 3, as they would be more common. A colleague's husband couldn't wait for his Stepwagon to expire in 2016. He said he had a horrid time whenever needed to replace any parts... Even had to get his workshop to mod from other Honda parts to use in the Stepwgn. So unless the current model has some critical mass, spare parts might be a concern.

Yes, these boxy MPVs are very spacious. But must be able to accept the style/look. I was very keen to consider them, but my wife veto'ed it and said it was non-negotiable... [sweatdrop] In any case, we later decided not to get another MPV, so avoided any argument...

But for PI boxy MPVs, best to keep to these 3, as they would be more common. A colleague's husband couldn't wait for his Stepwagon to expire in 2016. He said he had a horrid time whenever needed to replace any parts... Even had to get his workshop to mod from other Honda parts to use in the Stepwgn. So unless the current model has some critical mass, spare parts might be a concern.

I was also looking at the triplets when replacing my ride last year.

Similarly, my wife was against the Triplets' looks.. even the full bodykit versions don't cut it. Sound insulation was also another factor to consider if that is important to you.

OTOH, I would like to clarify an earlier post by another fellow forumer about the Estima's auto engine.. models after 2006 are of 6-speed not 4-speed.

Similarly, my wife was against the Triplets' looks.. even the full bodykit versions don't cut it. Sound insulation was also another factor to consider if that is important to you.

OTOH, I would like to clarify an earlier post by another fellow forumer about the Estima's auto engine.. models after 2006 are of 6-speed not 4-speed.

i'm fortunate my wife is not so particular about the looks of the car (cause of budget constraints haha). i quite like the triplets but cant justify to myself paying the additional 20-30k and not 8-seater also... notwithstanding the higher road tax, FC etc...

Wow that's very good for such a big car.

Is that mostly highway? I've attained 14 km/l if the trip is mostly highway, but if it's that short distance from my workplace to home during peak hours, where it's possible to spend more time stopping than moving, it would be a challenge to get good FC...

85% HW.

If mostly urban, probably 12km/l.

Also, wanna add my experience on big MPV....when we talk about 8-10km/l or 5-6km/l..somehow you won't feel it.

You will think, if I travel less or use the car less I will be able to save some petrol cost... but as yr kids grow older, they tend to have more activities, hence the more you will use the car...

Owniya big MPV before and fetching 2 kids to and from school and occasionally for groceries shopping, I have to pump petrol every 3.5-4 days...full tank Hor...

no joke Hor, until I see petrol station Uncle more that I see my Wife Hor.....so something you have to adjust to.

And every tank is like $110-130 ahhh....that time was 2.20 before discount...somemore I pump 92 ahhh....

After a year or 2, really Super sian every week like have to pump 2x...

So something for u to take into account.... is not just the maintenance wear and tear cost...gotta Budget for the petrol cost as well, which could be a bomb....

Oh btw, my ex MPV is a 2.4l

I would think higher FC is something all who buy big cars have to be prepared for, as there is really nothing they can do about it if they need the rides.

For me, my current Vellfire has been the worst among the rides I owned before, currently at about 8km/L. I pump petrol about every 6 days, spending about $130, and travelling about 520km for every tank. I would say the mileage my car clocked yearly is just above average at about 26000km, serving the family with 4 young kids in Primary and secondary schools. ​Sometime would grumble abit but somehow resigned to the situation already. 

Those who aspire to own 1 of the bigger MPVs can take my case as a reference haha. Think mine is 1 of the worse case possible due to car size and mostly short trips kind of routes everyday.

• Praise 1

I'm getting 14km/l in non eco mode and 19km/l in eco mode in my Hybrid Voxy.

wah boss... long time no see

change car already

i'm fortunate my wife is not so particular about the looks of the car (cause of budget constraints haha). i quite like the triplets but cant justify to myself paying the additional 20-30k and not 8-seater also... notwithstanding the higher road tax, FC etc...

Pardon me, I forgot to mention that the Triplets are above 1.80m tall so will not be able to enter some older MSCP. 

• Praise 1

I would think higher FC is something all who buy big cars have to be prepared for, as there is really nothing they can do about it if they need the rides.

For me, my current Vellfire has been the worst among the rides I owned before, currently at about 8km/L. I pump petrol about every 6 days, spending about $130, and travelling about 520km for every tank. I would say the mileage my car clocked yearly is just above average at about 26000km, serving the family with 4 young kids in Primary and secondary schools. ​Sometime would grumble abit but somehow resigned to the situation already. 

Those who aspire to own 1 of the bigger MPVs can take my case as a reference haha. Think mine is 1 of the worse case possible due to car size and mostly short trips kind of routes everyday.

In my opinion, this is true is most times, you are driving that alone. Not only high FC, difficult to move around and park too. But if you are picking up full load most of the time, then is money well spent.  :yeah-im-not-drunk: 

What did you eventually get then?

What's with the sound insulation of the triplets? Did you actually test drive it? 

I should still keep a lookout for MPV options, in case wife changes her mind and wanna get one in the future....

Got lah, the triplets have both 7- and 8-seater options lah. I think i saw before when i was looking at MPVs leh, couple of years ago. Then there's (or was) Biante, step wagon and Nissan Serena. 

Stepwagon is 1.5 turbo, so road tax not much higher  [laugh]

But sienta is very common now, so the advantage is that sure can get spares when required, and you get peace of mind. And of course good FC if you clock a lot...

If i had gotten (or should get) a big MPV then yes, I'll be prepared for 8 km/l, or maybe even 7 or less. But for large part of the last ~10 yr, my short distance and 'lots of traffic lights' route, actually meant even for small cars like Atos, Verna, Focus, also clocked only about 8-10 km/l...  [bigcry]

Is the Vellfire significantly worse off than Biante in terms of FC? What was Biante yielding?

In my opinion, this is true is most times, you are driving that alone. Not only high FC, difficult to move around and park too. But if you are picking up full load most of the time, then is money well spent.  :yeah-im-not-drunk: 

yes, that's why the question posted into consideration is that do you really need a 7 seater all the time?

for me when i had the MPV, kids were growing and need child seat as well, hence fetching the kids to school, CCA, and other activities in the morning...so in the morning is usually pack. Then afternoon to pick them up, again is usually pack and Sat is pack as well....

However, after I have pass this phase of life, kids grown and don't need child seat, and they tend to go out on thier own, I noticed we don't really need a 7 seater all the time....

Now I am on 5+2, the 2 is really rare, as I need the space behind for groceries and the occasional sunday fun out on the bikes...

easirer to meaneaveur and park and save a lot on petrol too...  so a thot....do you really need a 7 seater all the time?

↡ Advertisement