Used 7 seater MPV - Best to get?

Lurpsexx

Supercharged

My family used to have 2 cars. So when my mom decides to give up driving due to age, mine is the only one left. And when I replaced my car some years back, it's natural to opt for a 7 seater since there's 7 in our family. However, the 3rd row on my 7 seater is usually folded 'cause my family seldom have occasion to travel out together. (I can count the number of times that happened with just 5 fingers) If I ever get to change car again, it'll probably be a regular 5 seater. I'll happily pay for the occasional GRAB during whole family outing.  

• Praise 4

4 hours ago, Didu said:

My family used to have 2 cars. So when my mom decides to give up driving due to age, mine is the only one left. And when I replaced my car some years back, it's natural to opt for a 7 seater since there's 7 in our family. However, the 3rd row on my 7 seater is usually folded 'cause my family seldom have occasion to travel out together. (I can count the number of times that happened with just 5 fingers) If I ever get to change car again, it'll probably be a regular 5 seater. I'll happily pay for the occasional GRAB during whole family outing.  

Taking a grab would mean the whole family have to put on masks throughtout the journey while taking own car does not have that inconvenience. 

• Praise 2

(edited)
19 minutes ago, Ct3833 said:

Taking a grab would mean the whole family have to put on masks throughtout the journey while taking own car does not have that inconvenience. 

That's kind of like wearing golf shoes the whole week just because you play golf every Wednesday afternoon with your buddies. 

Its one trip compared to a whole ownership experience. 

Edited by Macrosszero
  • Haha! 5

Supercharged

Thinking of getting a 7 seater next time so I can get my parents to travel together with us, but I have the same concern that the 7 seats will be underutilized cos I travel alone to work on weekdays and only my wife and kid on weekends. Even I have another kid in the future, I feel the rear seats might be underutilized and the cost of a 7 seater is not cheap. 

It’s precisely because underuse that one should get a 7 seater if possible.

Most people underuse cars most of the time. We buy to park it there with high potential transport but mostly just depreciate every day.

If every 2 months an occasion arise for you to really use the 7 seats or the extra boot space, it will already be worth it.

For many, not being able to drive up north is a huge drawback against a larger car though at least over the next couple of years.

My two cents.

• Praise 1

Most of us drive to work and fetch kids from school, rarely have 7 pax in the car during weekdays. If you fully utilize the 7 pax space on every weekends for family outings, then I think it's worthwhile to get a MPV. 

To me whether to get a 5-seater or 7-seater MPV, it all boils down to car design that you like and the costs. 

Design is subjective, but costs factor is not. If the MPV is not expensive to buy and running costs similar to a 5-seater, think most will get MPV instead for its versatility as being able to fetch the whole village for outing is why most of us got the ride in the first place, with some getting multiple for the purpose. To this end I would strongly recommend the usual suspects under the minivan category as will not go wrong for the huge internal space and relatively small external form factor. Which one to get is depending on your preference then. Get Serena for its EV functionality with excellent FC and power, the Triplets for Toyota reliability, Steppie for functionality and power with relatively good FC, Biante for most un-minivan look. But this is provided you can accept the external design of the minivans.

• Praise 3

Price of ferrying whole family under one car roof = priceless

Thats why I am stuck with a 7 seater SUV and not a coe porsche. 

Thats my choice and priority. 

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 4

Supercharged
1 hour ago, Heartlander said:

To me whether to get a 5-seater or 7-seater MPV, it all boils down to car design that you like and the costs. 

Design is subjective, but costs factor is not. If the MPV is not expensive to buy and running costs similar to a 5-seater, think most will get MPV instead for its versatility as being able to fetch the whole village for outing is why most of us got the ride in the first place, with some getting multiple for the purpose. To this end I would strongly recommend the usual suspects under the minivan category as will not go wrong for the huge internal space and relatively small external form factor. Which one to get is depending on your preference then. Get Serena for its EV functionality with excellent FC and power, the Triplets for Toyota reliability, Steppie for functionality and power with relatively good FC, Biante for most un-minivan look. But this is provided you can accept the external design of the minivans.

Steppie is which car? 

Supercharged
17 minutes ago, Heartlander said:

Nickname coined by Honda for Stepwagon.

Thanks. You heard of any reviews for this car? I saw this car at my MSCP, looks quite long. 

14 minutes ago, Daniu82 said:

Thanks. You heard of any reviews for this car? I saw this car at my MSCP, looks quite long. 

It is only 4.7m long, similar to Civc, Altis, and other mid-size sedans. But interior very huge due to squarish design. 1.5L turbo engine can do century sprint of 8.2sec. FC can get 11km/L consistently.

• Praise 4

52 minutes ago, Will_I_Am said:

Waiting for this beast to come to SG.

https://www.kia.com/us/en/sedona

C&C has said that it should be here this year. This will give ody/estima a good run for its money - provided it's not priced out of reach as the trend of korean cars have been showing...

Space-wise it should be good, judging by the last model, which I'd rented for a few days on an overseas trip.

• Praise 2

17 hours ago, Daniu82 said:

Thinking of getting a 7 seater next time so I can get my parents to travel together with us, but I have the same concern that the 7 seats will be underutilized cos I travel alone to work on weekdays and only my wife and kid on weekends. Even I have another kid in the future, I feel the rear seats might be underutilized and the cost of a 7 seater is not cheap. 

Out of the 6 cars I owned in the past >20 years, 3 are 7 seater (1st gen Honda Stream, Honda Crossroad & VW Sharan - current car). 

Able to go out (family trip) in 1 car in comfort is my top priority, as well as the ability to accommodate large objects from my occasional Ikea trips, shifting, etc.

The convenience of having such a multi purpose vehicle is priceless to me despite a <50% utilisation rate (it is just me driving alone during weekdays, family trips for weekends), so likely I will be continuing with 7 seater model. 

The only complaint I had from my wife is that my current ride is too big for her liking (when she is behind the wheel, different story when she is sitting elsewhere :D), and with my kids going independent very soon, next ride might be a smaller 7 seater SUV, since there are limited choice of MPV around.

BTW @Heartlander is a proud owner of the latest Honda Stepwagon Spada 1.5T :D I am more curious if he ever uses the twin door setup often. [:)]

• Praise 11

7 minutes ago, Carbon82 said:

BTW @Heartlander is a proud owner of the latest Honda Stepwagon Spada 1.5T :D I am more curious if he ever uses the twin door setup often. [:)]

Definitely. I collapsed 1 of the 2 seats in last row and put a carton box to hold grocery items I buy from supermarkets. Much convenient to use the small waku waku door then opening the heavy rear hatch. Alternatively I could put the items at second row area but I send my kids to school everyday so not so nice to put the carton box there permanently.

I still think this Steppie is best for families as it is very functional yet can be driven enthusiastically so will not make the driver feel boring, but not everyone can accept its squarish look.

• Praise 4

(edited)

Current car very very old Picnic. Collecting car sometime this month (2021 Odyssey). Very useful like some bros mentioned here, one car whole family outing settled (old and young).

The feeling when u load bulky items at the Ikea loading / unloading bay really "warms the cockles of my heart" 😉

Edited by Atachi
↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 6