Used 7 seater MPV - Best to get?

Lurpsexx

Supercharged
1 hour ago, Heartlander said:

Definitely. I collapsed 1 of the 2 seats in last row and put a carton box to hold grocery items I buy from supermarkets. Much convenient to use the small waku waku door then opening the heavy rear hatch. Alternatively I could put the items at second row area but I send my kids to school everyday so not so nice to put the carton box there permanently.

I still think this Steppie is best for families as it is very functional yet can be driven enthusiastically so will not make the driver feel boring, but not everyone can accept its squarish look.

I don't really like the squarish outlook of the car. Too boxy and very tall. But seems like the practicability and power are quite good.  

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1

7 hours ago, Daniu82 said:

I don't really like the squarish outlook of the car. Too boxy and very tall. But seems like the practicability and power are quite good.  

Yes this is not the car for everybody. Even in my household i am the only one loving it, the rest either hate its look or being diplomatic.

But look aside, it is really imo the most balance car for a family. For the driver, he can always choose to chiong up the Shears bridge if he feel like it and leave most far behind, or chiong with the motor cyclist from junction. Most of the time the driver will win as most cars take more than 8.2sec in century sprints. And despite doing that occasionally, can still have FC of 11km/L and enjoy low road tax with its 1.5L turbo engine capacity.

Too many things to talk about this car but i better stop else will sound like a broken record haha.

• Haha! 5

I once sat in my colleague's steppie. 

Put my 7 seater suv to shame. 

Given the choice, I would still standby my suv though. 😎

• Haha! 1

15 hours ago, Heartlander said:

can still have FC of 11km/L and enjoy low road tax with its 1.5L turbo engine capacity.

Does the turbo charger cause a loading on your insurance premium?

We had a Toyota Wish for almost 13 yr. It served us well during that period, when kids arrived and grew up with the car. From being infant in baby seat, they outgrew the car till a bit squeezy... We stayed near my parents initially, but got them to stay with us when we moved. So during those times, when we needed to go out together with my parents, it was very useful to have a MPV. Running cost was not a lot more than a sedan.

Then wife fell in love with SUV, and when we had some problems with the Wish, decided to change to xtrail. Not a good choice in hindsight, as the 3rd row is very cramped, and kids by now are quite/very tall...

it's actually a wrong choice, i'll say - cos when we got the xtrail, wife was eyeing eclipse cross, a 5-seater. She didn't want a 7-seater as a change. But later on the kids complained, and so as a compromise, we got the xtrail instead, thinking that on the occasions that we need to go out with my parents, can still ask the younger kid to squeeze behind. Alas, he's now 1.86 m and impossible to do so...

Have been thinking of whether to bite the bullet and get back a bigger MPV, but not firmed up yet...

• Praise 2

29 minutes ago, Atrecord said:

We had a Toyota Wish for almost 13 yr. It served us well during that period, when kids arrived and grew up with the car. From being infant in baby seat, they outgrew the car till a bit squeezy... We stayed near my parents initially, but got them to stay with us when we moved. So during those times, when we needed to go out together with my parents, it was very useful to have a MPV. Running cost was not a lot more than a sedan.

Then wife fell in love with SUV, and when we had some problems with the Wish, decided to change to xtrail. Not a good choice in hindsight, as the 3rd row is very cramped, and kids by now are quite/very tall...

it's actually a wrong choice, i'll say - cos when we got the xtrail, wife was eyeing eclipse cross, a 5-seater. She didn't want a 7-seater as a change. But later on the kids complained, and so as a compromise, we got the xtrail instead, thinking that on the occasions that we need to go out with my parents, can still ask the younger kid to squeeze behind. Alas, he's now 1.86 m and impossible to do so...

Have been thinking of whether to bite the bullet and get back a bigger MPV, but not firmed up yet...

Just buy a Sharan lah. Got power, got space lol.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

11 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Just buy a Sharan lah. Got power, got space lol.

Sharan also on my rdar until I read that some owners getting FC of 7km/L. My previous Vellfire also returning that kind of FC, and I vowed never to consider any cars that return this kind of FC. The frequent visit to petrol kiosk to refuel is not a good feeling even when I can afford it.

Any my current Steppie is every 8 to 10 days. Very happy with that.

• Praise 2

I am indeed privileged. 

OC don't disturb me with the choice of cars I want for myself. 

She knows I won't listen anyway. 

• Haha! 3

(edited)
28 minutes ago, Heartlander said:

Sharan also on my rdar until I read that some owners getting FC of 7km/L. My previous Vellfire also returning that kind of FC, and I vowed never to consider any cars that return this kind of FC. The frequent visit to petrol kiosk to refuel is not a good feeling even when I can afford it.

I have come to accept the fact that any 2.4 or 2.5 full size MPV would get around 7km/L to 8+km/L . My ex Odyssey used to return about 9km/L as well.  Would you mind sharing why did you drop  from the  large comfortable Vellfire to Stepwagon?  I am considering getting a 2nd hand Alphard or Vellfire , but am also unable to decide if i should buy such a big van especially to be used as a spare car, so i am also looking at Sharan , Ody and Estaima, still cant make up my mind. if you do not mind, do share your view about  step wagon as well. Thanks. 

15 minutes ago, Hamburger said:

I am indeed privileged. 

OC don't disturb me with the choice of cars I want for myself. 

She knows I won't listen anyway. 

in my view, 7 seaters SUV has its limitations, 1 being not having sliding rear doors, making getting in and out in small narrow parking lots very challenging  at times. The other consideration due to the height of a SUV, getting out from third row can be difficult , especially for older age people. 

Edited by Ct3833
  • Praise 3

2 minutes ago, Ct3833 said:

I have come to accept the fact that any 2.4 or 2.5 full size MPV would get around 7km/L to 8+km/L . My ex Odyssey used to return about 9km/L as well.  Would you mind sharing why did you drop  from the  large comfortable Vellfire to Stepwagon?  I am considering getting a 2nd hand Alphard or Vellfire , but am also unable to decide if i should buy such a big van especially to be used as a spare car, so i am also looking at Sharan , Ody and Estaima, still cant make up my mind.

Vellfire was indeed a very comfortable and prominent ride. You drive one on the road, other lesser beings will give way to you. I also don't know why but that was my experience. It is not that luxurious in fitting, but provides a very comfortable space to move your family around. But as owner you will experience some negative aspects:

1. Lousy FC of 7 to 8km/L. 

Do not be naive and think you can get 9km/L and above consistently. Once or twice in a long while is lucky only.

2. Difficulty to manouvre in carpark and tight space

This ride is not for those who have to park the rides within tight confine, eg narrow driveways or car porch for those living in landed. You will be stressed on daily basis as you drive it around and sometimes you will end up in this kind of situations as you will have to judge carefully if your car can squeeze through the gap to filter or not.

3. Car height of 1.9m

Not pleasant as have to check out carpark heights when going places. But not really an issue after awhile as mentally prepared already.

But ultimately it is more of whether both you and your spouse agree to accept this ride for what it is. My wife always complained about it being difficult to handle especially parking thus eventually sold it away.

The minivan category of rides such as Stepwagon, Serena, Triplets, Bainte, etc offer much more space than traditional sedans/SUVs but more manageable form factors. FC wise also varies like my previous Biante consistently got 9.x km/L but my Steppie got 11km/L despite much more powerful with benefits of smaller turbo engine.

• Praise 1

10 minutes ago, Heartlander said:

Vellfire was indeed a very comfortable and prominent ride. You drive one on the road, other lesser beings will give way to you. I also don't know why but that was my experience.

A lot of Vellfire are PHVs.  Many scared of the reckless way they are driven!

Twincharged
2 hours ago, Atrecord said:

surprised you had trouble with the wish. the wish is super robust and parts are easy to get and cheap to fix. could you share what went wrong?

Twincharged
1 hour ago, Ct3833 said:

I have come to accept the fact that any 2.4 or 2.5 full size MPV would get around 7km/L to 8+km/L . My ex Odyssey used to return about 9km/L as well.  Would you mind sharing why did you drop  from the  large comfortable Vellfire to Stepwagon?  I am considering getting a 2nd hand Alphard or Vellfire , but am also unable to decide if i should buy such a big van especially to be used as a spare car, so i am also looking at Sharan , Ody and Estaima, still cant make up my mind. if you do not mind, do share your view about  step wagon as well. Thanks. 

in my view, 7 seaters SUV has its limitations, 1 being not having sliding rear doors, making getting in and out in small narrow parking lots very challenging  at times. The other consideration due to the height of a SUV, getting out from third row can be difficult , especially for older age people. 

agree with your view on the 7 seater SUV. unnecessary in singapore with 100% paved roads. Maybe for malaysia but does one go off the beaten track? a 7 seater MPV is already heavy, a 7 seater SUV is further burdened by the drive train.

2 hours ago, Heartlander said:

Ya agree with u...in today’s time of engine efficiency, damn sian to b driving a car with 7-8km fc. Not jus about the money but everytime, see left 2-3 bar then u know u can’t last the day. 

25 minutes ago, Scholesy said:

Ya agree with u...in today’s time of engine efficiency, damn sian to b driving a car with 7-8km fc. Not jus about the money but everytime, see left 2-3 bar then u know u can’t last the day. 

This feeling get worse when the world wide oil prices keep going up during the time you own this gas guzzler, as you will expect petrol price to go up in tandem and nothing you can do about. I remember going through this during the 1 year I had the Vellfire no joke. It is not about affordability, but whether you enjoy burning your money like that. Now don't really care any more with a fuel efficient ride haha. 

↡ Advertisement