Used 7 seater MPV - Best to get?

Lurpsexx

6 hours ago, Lala81 said:

Just buy a Sharan lah. Got power, got space lol.

got power, got space... but no $$ 😂

if change now, will be losing quite a bit liao, dun need so power lah... got space is good enough lah...

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 3

5 hours ago, AndrewLee72 said:

Atrecord - yr son 1.86m - what ever MPV in Spore - 3rd row is also squeezy for him de. He needs to be in 2nd row haha

ha ha ha... when we got the xtrail 2 yr+ ago, he was prob  <1.65 m still... the fella ate so much and grew so much in the last ~2 yr...

if really got a bigger 7-seater, he will likely still have to go 3rd row lah. with my parents (mid-late 80s), sitting configuration somewhat rigid leh... 😅

• Haha! 2

2 minutes ago, Atrecord said:

ha ha ha... when we got the xtrail 2 yr+ ago, he was prob  <1.65 m still... the fella ate so much and grew so much in the last ~2 yr...

if really got a bigger 7-seater, he will likely still have to go 3rd row lah. with my parents (mid-late 80s), sitting configuration somewhat rigid leh... 😅

I find that 7 seater , while comfortable on the second row, is a waste of a seat comparing with  a 8 seater. If you could get a 8 seater, your son and your parents could sit on the 2nd row   together.

• Haha! 2

4 hours ago, Mkl22 said:

surprised you had trouble with the wish. the wish is super robust and parts are easy to get and cheap to fix. could you share what went wrong?

like you, i was surprised too. We renewed the COE thinking that it should be problem-free, given the mileage was low and we never missed any servicings. I guess it was a combination of:

- i was not knowledgeable enough about maintenance/replacement of parts for cars, esp old cars. There were parts that should be replaced upon renewing COE, if we wanted it to last another 10 yr, but we didn't. this was partly cos my mechanic was not trustworthy: for a few parts that he recommended me to replace after renewing COE, he charged me more for recon parts than what new parts from stockists cost... So a few other parts that he said were optional, i got fed up and didn't replace.

- we were not prepared for the occasional inconvenience of driving an old car. It could not be started on 3 occasions, and required towing. if i recall correctly, the 3 parts that caused these were the starter motor/alternator, the fuel pump, and can't remember the third. If these parts were replaced after renewing COE, then i might still be driving it now...

in any case, the 2nd time was when we were overseas on vacation, and my father was driving it. Called me to say car in some carpark somewhere can't start... 😂

then the 3rd time was in the morning of a day that we were going to go JB in the afternoon... in another car.

after that, wife - who drives the wish - just said scared liao, change car... 🤣

• Praise 4

11 minutes ago, Ct3833 said:

I find that 7 seater , while comfortable on the second row, is a waste of a seat comparing with  a 8 seater. If you could get a 8 seater, your son and your parents could sit on the 2nd row   together.

oh, the 7-seaters we have are 3-3-2, instead of 3-2-3. So actually it is an option for him to sit with my parents in 2nd row, but it's shoulder to shoulder and they - esp the kids - will prefer more comfort in sitting 2-2-2 if possible.

this was especially obvious when we went overseas and rented a 8-seater (iMax, Previa, Carnival). They wanted more space/comfort by sitting 2-2-2. At one point with the Previa, there was a stupid spare tyre at the boot, which took up so much luggage space that we had to fold down one of the 3rd row seats to put luggage. For that stretch, one of them had to squeeze into 2nd row with my folks, and it looked a bit of a torture for whoever taking turns to sit there 😅

• Praise 2

Supercharged
6 hours ago, Ct3833 said:

in my view, 7 seaters SUV has its limitations, 1 being not having sliding rear doors, making getting in and out in small narrow parking lots very challenging  at times. The other consideration due to the height of a SUV, getting out from third row can be difficult , especially for older age people. 

Although mine is a sliding door, I'd still not ask my parents to go sit in the 3rd row. If one of them pulled a muscle getting in or out, someone would be nagging at me for the rest of the week. :lll._.:

• Haha! 7

6 hours ago, Ct3833 said:

I have come to accept the fact that any 2.4 or 2.5 full size MPV would get around 7km/L to 8+km/L . My ex Odyssey used to return about 9km/L as well.  Would you mind sharing why did you drop  from the  large comfortable Vellfire to Stepwagon?  I am considering getting a 2nd hand Alphard or Vellfire , but am also unable to decide if i should buy such a big van especially to be used as a spare car, so i am also looking at Sharan , Ody and Estaima, still cant make up my mind. if you do not mind, do share your view about  step wagon as well. Thanks. 

in my view, 7 seaters SUV has its limitations, 1 being not having sliding rear doors, making getting in and out in small narrow parking lots very challenging  at times. The other consideration due to the height of a SUV, getting out from third row can be difficult , especially for older age people. 

Bro Ct3833,

I also did considered even Alphard/Vellfire but taken aback by the height restrictions to older car parks. Full size MPVs has it benefits like others mentioned, road presence, high driving position, the convenience of sliding doors and comfortable second row seats for kids and parents. I had owned SUV before and hit the nail on the head on the limitations. I think my calling is still an MPV (used to own a Sienta), that’s why zoomed down to an Estima/Previa. 

Was thinking of the triplets too to outweigh the FC over an Estima, but with a 1.8L hybrid engine, is neither here nor there lea. 

• Praise 3

Twincharged
(edited)

It’s all praises from me for the alphard vellfire as a passenger. Took the cross border limo from HKIA to Shenzhen numerous times on these.
Sat in all seats except the driver. Even fully loaded with 8 adult males and luggage stuffed full. It still pulls quite well and rides well without any float.  Imagine at least another 700kg of passenger and cargo. 
they were all the 3.5 v6 and the mileages on some of them were at an incredible 600-700k km. a really excellent “bus”. 
but boy do they drink. Can see the fuel gauge drop a couple of notches during the trip. Of course the drivers flog it. 

Edited by Mkl22
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 3

1 hour ago, Wormee said:

Bro Ct3833,

I also did considered even Alphard/Vellfire but taken aback by the height restrictions to older car parks. Full size MPVs has it benefits like others mentioned, road presence, high driving position, the convenience of sliding doors and comfortable second row seats for kids and parents. I had owned SUV before and hit the nail on the head on the limitations. I think my calling is still an MPV (used to own a Sienta), that’s why zoomed down to an Estima/Previa. 

Was thinking of the triplets too to outweigh the FC over an Estima, but with a 1.8L hybrid engine, is neither here nor there lea. 

thanks for highlighting the height restriction, this is an important consideration.  and they are not cheap, the used one are going at about S$15k depre per year.

2 hours ago, Didu said:

Although mine is a sliding door, I'd still not ask my parents to go sit in the 3rd row. If one of them pulled a muscle getting in or out, someone would be nagging at me for the rest of the week. :lll._.:

you can always ask that someone to take the third row😟

• Haha! 2

11 minutes ago, Ct3833 said:

Let me hazard a guess - that someone is probably not one to mess around with 🤣

• Haha! 3

2 hours ago, Didu said:

You mean your parents are young enough to get into 3rd row arrh?

My mother has problem getting into the car, whether 1st or 2nd, forget about 3rd... my father will sure says he can, but I'll overrule it lor 😆

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 3

Twincharged
47 minutes ago, Atrecord said:

You mean your parents are young enough to get into 3rd row arrh?

My mother has problem getting into the car, whether 1st or 2nd, forget about 3rd... my father will sure says he can, but I'll overrule it lor 😆

Yeah, when it’s our time to experience it, I think be a good boy and listen to children wise words! 

• Praise 1

(edited)

Sharan probably best combi of good drive and comfort for full MPVs and no issue with car parks.  And it uses the wet 6 spd gearbox so none of that gear box issue.  It’s basically a golf GTI that hit middle age and grew a dad bod.  

Edited by Chongster
  • Praise 3
  • Haha! 1

8 hours ago, Mkl22 said:

It’s all praises from me for the alphard vellfire as a passenger. Took the cross border limo from HKIA to Shenzhen numerous times on these.
Sat in all seats except the driver. Even fully loaded with 8 adult males and luggage stuffed full. It still pulls quite well and rides well without any float.  Imagine at least another 700kg of passenger and cargo. 
they were all the 3.5 v6 and the mileages on some of them were at an incredible 600-700k km. a really excellent “bus”. 
but boy do they drink. Can see the fuel gauge drop a couple of notches during the trip. Of course the drivers flog it. 

• Praise 4
  • Haha! 1

7 hours ago, Ct3833 said:

thanks for highlighting the height restriction, this is an important consideration.  and they are not cheap, the used one are going at about S$15k depre per year.

Side question bro, if you are going for Estima, what are your considerations say, 2015/2016 pre-FL or FL model? Which one would you go for? Both are about 13k depre a year.  

(edited)
1 hour ago, Wormee said:

Side question bro, if you are going for Estima, what are your considerations say, 2015/2016 pre-FL or FL model? Which one would you go for? Both are about 13k depre a year.  

Hi, have not thought about it because initially i was looking at new, that left me with only Ody and Sharan, then i moved to look at used subsequently, my thought  strayed to Vellfire and Alphard for a while till you guys pointed out about the height, now back to used Estima , Sharan and Ody. For me, if Estima, i will likely to look at 2016 or 2017 because it is newer😀. What are your considerations ?

Edited by Ct3833

Supercharged
7 hours ago, Mkl22 said:

Yeah, when it’s our time to experience it, I think be a good boy and listen to children wise words! 

I realize many gen z kids are not very keen to drive. Only 1 out of 5 of my kids' group of BFFs owns a driver license. It could be the convenience of travel in SG. During my time, the only viable travel options for me are walk, cycle, or take the bus. (Could not afford taxi) Because of the above, I won't be expecting my kids to be driving me around when I'm old.

I personally loved my previa, a 2017 7 seater model. The sliding doors are a godsend in tight spaces cos I have 2 young kids, and made putting them in child seats so much easier.

Also reasonably comfortable, comes with power boot and folding third row seats, quite nice package for me.

I actually sold my XC90 for this, cos realized the 2-2-3 configuration works better than 2-3-2. Totally cut off the folding seats to get to third row problem. Lost a lot of bhp for that, but was worth it for me.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 8