Used 7 seater MPV - Best to get?

Lurpsexx

If looking for a used car from 12-14, then i think better not choose stepwagon. A colleague's husband drove that, and said he had a big problem getting spare parts... later on his workshop had to modify from other honda parts to fit his car...

but yes, if TS is not big on power and drivability, then the boxy MPVs might be an option. They have 8 seat options too and is even more spacious than estima/ody. Just need to check on availability of spare parts - which maybe the triplets will be more common?

Agree. Maybe for toyota parts will be easier. So like estima should be ok. Only thing i dont like about estima the model has been the same since late 2005 lol
↡ Advertisement

Hi all,

Am driving a relatively new sedan now, n with old parents n young kids in tow, car space is not enuf to ferry all at the same time..

Hope bros can kindly share your experiences in getting a used 7 seater MPV to meet yr family needs..

I'm partial towards honda odyssey (2012/2013 RB series) & estima, n was wondering if there's any other options available..

Thanks in advance for your kind inputs..kam Sia..

http://www.mycarforum.com/topic/2659369-odyssey-or-estima/

2012/13 Odyssey drives and handles like a car. Cons is there is no sliding door. The rear doors are longer than normal to facilitate second and third row passengers getting in and out , the length of the doors can become a inconvenience at car park when there are cars parking at both sides.

Estima will be one up against 2013 odyssey because of sliding doors. Its headroom should be much better than odyssey as well.

If you prefer odyssey, you may want to consider getting the sliding door Odyssey instead.

I have driven two odysseys for 15 years before i switch to using 2 sedans instead. Odyssey is a nice mpv to have. Consumption wise, at 2.4L, I don't think any of the two can be of fuel ecconomical than the other, 8km per liter to 9+km per liter should be a decent expectation unless you go for hybride. But driving 2.4L car should not be too concerned about FC. You are not going to get much fuel saving no matter how light-footed you are anyway.

Spare parts wise, odyssey is easy to get spare part from Kah , or fong tat would have a lot of parts as well. I believe it will be the same for estima.

In summary, my view is to consider sliding door as a preferred feature unless you really like 2012/13 odyssey for whatever reasons.

If you do not mind not having sliding door, mazda 5 would make a practical family mpv as well but it is under power and much less spacious comparing with the other two . I am able to make comparison becuase i drove one in taiwan before. But i noticed you may drive to JB with your family , mazda 5 will not have much boot space left if you fetch 6 or 7 in your car.

Edited by Ct3833
  • Praise 2

Agree. Maybe for toyota parts will be easier. So like estima should be ok. Only thing i dont like about estima the model has been the same since late 2005 lol

yah lor stupid toyota... at one point i was thinking of getting a MPV to replace the Wish, and was hoping the estima would have a brand new model (like ody) in 2016... only to see yet another facelift  [bigcry]

subsequently changed plans and got suv instead...

I 'downgraded' from Touran to Biante, but instead found more happiness haha. It really depend on whether you need that extra bit of space or not, your family size that is.

From a 9.5s century sprint car to one that is about 12.7s, I did not really feel the slowness but rather I had been so happy with the amount of space that it overshadowed everything else. Think needs is really different. Another person might just focus on the slowness and not think too much of the increase in space.

So yah, to me it is more of what is your priority in getting the car. It will help you in nailing that almost perfect car where you will enjoy everyday. Hearing too much feedback is only hearing what other people want, not what you want. You are buying the car for yourself and your family, so no one will know more than you or your family. Hope this advice is  logical to you haha.

Yup. Priority and needs are important. 

When i decided on getting a MPV, it was to fetch the young kids in child seats, plus sometimes with my parents or in-laws too. At other times, it could be with my elderly grandmother... Never planned to go really fasten those occasions to begin with - meaning space was a bigger consideration.

Of course, if can afford something like Sharan that has both space and power, it would be a bonus, but i would choose space instead of power if i had to make a choice.

2012/13 Odyssey drives and handles like a car. Cons is there is no sliding door. The rear doors are longer than normal to facilitate second and third row passengers getting in and out , the length of the doors can become a inconvenience at car park when there are cars parking at both sides.

Estima will be one up against 2013 odyssey because of sliding doors. Its headroom should be much better than odyssey as well.

If you prefer odyssey, you may want to consider getting the sliding door Odyssey instead.

I have driven two odysseys for 15 years before i switch to using 2 sedans instead. Odyssey is a nice mpv to have. Consumption wise, at 2.4L, I don't think any of the two can be of fuel ecconomical than the other, 8km per liter to 9+km per liter should be a decent expectation unless you go for hybride. But driving 2.4L car should not be too concerned about FC. You are not going to get much fuel saving no matter how light-footed you are anyway.

Spare parts wise, odyssey is easy to get spare part from Kah , or fong tat would have a lot of parts as well. I believe it will be the same for estima.

In summary, my view is to consider sliding door as a preferred feature unless you really like 2012/13 odyssey for whatever reasons.

If you do not mind not having sliding door, mazda 5 would make a practical family mpv as well but it is under power and much less spacious comparing with the other two . I am able to make comparison becuase i drove one in taiwan before. But i noticed you may drive to JB with your family , mazda 5 will not have much boot space left if you fetch 6 or 7 in your car.

Thanks bro for your detailed input..

Yes, you're right that both of these cars we shouldn't be too concerned abt fuel economy as they are both people movers and engine capacity is large..

I'm inclined to have sliding doors, as it'll be easier for my parents to get in and out, esp the estima height is good for them..

For Mazda 5, yup, my colleague has it n is comparable to wish, albeit w sliding doors n is heavy..

I've looked at estima in sgcar mart, n most are COE cars.. I might snoop Ard my neighborhood to ask the estima drivers if they are letting go their cars n can sell to me or not.. Hehe..

yah lor stupid toyota... at one point i was thinking of getting a MPV to replace the Wish, and was hoping the estima would have a brand new model (like ody) in 2016... only to see yet another facelift [bigcry]

subsequently changed plans and got suv instead...

Yup. Priority and needs are important.

When i decided on getting a MPV, it was to fetch the young kids in child seats, plus sometimes with my parents or in-laws too. At other times, it could be with my elderly grandmother... Never planned to go really fasten those occasions to begin with - meaning space was a bigger consideration.

Of course, if can afford something like Sharan that has both space and power, it would be a bonus, but i would choose space instead of power if i had to make a choice.

Thanks bro for your thoughts..yup, priority n needs are indeed the drivers of our car choices.. but these are limited now in our sg market.. sometime I feel our consumer choices R held hostage by the ADs n our govt, whatever they decide to bring in..

There are non coe estima around, the problem is the depre of these cars are higher than that of a new car, you need to bargain for a reasonable price. Odyssey seems to have lower depre than that of estima, you may want do a like for like comparison. Otherwise, bite the bullet and get new one would be a better option. Eg. Warranty, same or lower depre, assured condition, accident free etc Edited by Ct3833

from a used car perspective, depreciation of sharan may not necessarily be higher than an estima or odyssey due to the former’s poor reputation vs the perceived reliability of the jap mpvs which may or may not be correct

you decide

from a used car perspective, depreciation of sharan may not necessarily be higher than an estima or odyssey due to the formerâs poor reputation vs the perceived reliability of the jap mpvs which may or may not be correct

you decide

ð

Thanks bro.. Yes, the perception of VW gearbox problem has spread to all cars within the brand.

There are non coe estima around, the problem is the depre of these cars are higher than that of a new car, you need to bargain for a reasonable price. Odyssey seems to have lower depre than that of estima, you may want do a like for like comparison. Otherwise, bite the bullet and get new one would be a better option. Eg. Warranty, same or lower depre, assured condition, accident free etc

Thanks bro.. you're right on the depre/cost side..new car wise tho cost more, but same depre n no car issues..

Headache.. cost Vs repairs Vs limited choices of new 7 seaters..

Thanks again to all of your kind replies bros!

sorry for OT, hows the reliability of Sharan so far?

The drivetrain is carried over from golf gti that is proven for reliability.

The wet dsg GB is splendid in shifts and power delivery.

• Praise 4

Bro, any third party supplier for vw parts n outside workshop to repair be cars? Like Fong tat etc..

Bro, any third party supplier for vw parts n outside workshop to repair be cars? Like Fong tat etc..

for sure got lah....north south east west all have

:D