Renew COE for mk5 gti?

So_nice

Saw some nice mk5 golf gti in the used car market. Got a few with one owners. Just thinking if it’s worth to buy one and renew coe?

Is the mk5 gti a difficult car to maintain? Especially the dsg gearbox. Do share your views pls. Thanks!

↡ Advertisement

Mk5 GTI is a good choice.

The Gearbox is much tougher than the those 7 speed DSG on their 1.4 twinchargers but still not immune to issues with the MU, esp for a almost 10 years old car. Make sure you get a low mileage or have the GB checked first.

But be warned, 2.0T drinks quite a fair bit compared to your current 1.5T.

Hi, might as well get a type r (fd2r) and renew. Lower maintenance cost.

There's a saying once you go Turbo, you will not switch back....lol

Edited by Pocus
  • Praise 2

Thanks for your views mates. Quite unlikely I’ll go for an fd2r because I’m looking at something that’s more comfortable. Plus honestly, I’m really too lazy to drive a manual again. Haha.

Still undecided to be honest. Not sure if it’s worth to get something unknown even though it’s within my budget

Thanks for your views mates. Quite unlikely Iâll go for an fd2r because Iâm looking at something thatâs more comfortable. Plus honestly, Iâm really too lazy to drive a manual again. Haha.

Still undecided to be honest. Not sure if itâs worth to get something unknown even though itâs within my budget

Get a 2009 Mk6 GTi, hv a short fling and move on.

No point buying a COE performance car as the car would hv had a hard life, novelty will wear off quickly when u see something newer & shinier and it’s onli sitting on COE rebate value

• Praise 2

Get a 2009 Mk6 GTi, hv a short fling and move on.

No point buying a COE performance car as the car would hv had a hard life, novelty will wear off quickly when u see something newer & shinier and it’s onli sitting on COE rebate value

does this also apply to a COE porsche? :)

Edited by Mkl22

That one ppl buy for other reasons la

Plus, I don’t think porkers in sg actually had a hard life

The wet GB is operated by mechatronics and it's maintenance is not too ex.

Mk v gti is a good choice to renew with its heritage.

Dry gb also has mechatronic unit. In fact, wet clutches r more expensive

No cos porsche or other supercars r usually used less n lower mileage. Therefore u can buy multiple owners car

Not all Porsches are supercars as you can buy a 986 or 987 for less depreciation than a brand new Toyota. 

That's less of a judgement of their dynamic ability, than the way the local used car market has moved, though.

Not all Porsches are supercars as you can buy a 986 or 987 for less depreciation than a brand new Toyota.

That's less of a judgement of their dynamic ability, than the way the local used car market has moved, though.

Was referring more to 911 range. But yes even coe maserati gt can be had for just 14k pa. In the end, the key difference between toyota n those cars is the yearly maintenance n parts replacement. Tats y few ppl buy

Saw some nice mk5 golf gti in the used car market. Got a few with one owners. Just thinking if it’s worth to buy one and renew coe?

Is the mk5 gti a difficult car to maintain? Especially the dsg gearbox. Do share your views pls. Thanks!

My dad renewed his MK5 GTI few years back... Did a proper over haul as well. The car is damn solid. The DSG GearBox for the MK5 is running on the Wet Clutch so there isn't really big maintenance problems with it as long as the Mecha-tronic unit of the car that you buy over is in good working condition.

I myself have a Polo GTI but its the 7 speed Dry Clutch. Had to change a pair of Clutch Pack after 5 years. So as long as you are going for the Wet Clutches of VW, you are safe! :) [drivingcar]

• Praise 1

My dad renewed his MK5 GTI few years back... Did a proper over haul as well. The car is damn solid. The DSG GearBox for the MK5 is running on the Wet Clutch so there isn't really big maintenance problems with it as long as the Mecha-tronic unit of the car that you buy over is in good working condition.

I myself have a Polo GTI but its the 7 speed Dry Clutch. Had to change a pair of Clutch Pack after 5 years. So as long as you are going for the Wet Clutches of VW, you are safe! :) [drivingcar]

If u want to look at it in detail, the wet clutch is a more expensive part. So wen u pay more for something, the longevity is to be expected

Neutral Newbie

Hi,

My golf GTI coe is due next month. Just wondering if I should renew the COE? If after I renew the coe, I decide to sell the car, will there be any buyers?

Please give more details. Like the mileage and condition of the car? How many owners? What is the PARF value? What are your intentions, considerations and other motoring choices?

It's not a BnB car and whether there is buyer or not is hard to predict. Worse case scenario is scrap and claim back COE and forfeit PARF value.

• Praise 1

Hi,

My golf GTI coe is due next month. Just wondering if I should renew the COE? If after I renew the coe, I decide to sell the car, will there be any buyers?

After renewing coe, most of the cars will worth only the residual coe price when put up for resale. This is especially so for VW and even more so for a GTI, becaue only a limited pool of people who appreciate GTI power will buy it. Basically you have to be prepared to write off the entire PARF after x number of years when you will decide to ell the car after x years of driving.
↡ Advertisement