Bring family out with rented car on weekend

Tamecar

Neutral Newbie

As per topic, how many of you if without a car, will rent a car over the weekends just to bring family out?

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Even with young kids that needs a pram and many barang barang?

So can I say, it has to be cost effective then it make sense to rent a car than to take a grab or uber?

So can I say, it has to be cost effective then it make sense to rent a car than to take a grab or uber?

Do you need all the barang barang?

Plan what you want to do.

Don't bring whole room out.

• Praise 2

If you have kids and carry bulky items, it's always good to rent a car.

But do check out the best rates in the market.

i would say just rent a car if you think it makes sense to you and your family. no need to be too stressed out about the cost.

btw i have 2 toddlers. we use carriers and dont bring pram around. still doable...

if 3 kids and with grandparents then car makes more sense.

Do you need all the barang barang?

Plan what you want to do.

Don't bring whole room out.

agreed. my wife is very good at this.

As per topic, how many of you if without a car, will rent a car over the weekends just to bring family out?

Some considerations:

First, if no car, are you a seasoned driver or hardly ever drive? If the latter, I would suggest you think carefully about whether it would be stressful to have to drive with whole family in tow. Some people might be nervous if they are not familiar, and then if got young kids throwing tantrums (or worse, baby crying), or old folks nagging - it could be dangerous to drive under such condition.

If it's only going to one place, and not very inaccessible, then there is not much advantage to rent a car to drive. If it involves going to different places that are out of the way, then driving makes sense.

• Praise 4

Some considerations:

First, if no car, are you a seasoned driver or hardly ever drive? If the latter, I would suggest you think carefully about whether it would be stressful to have to drive with whole family in tow. Some people might be nervous if they are not familiar, and then if got young kids throwing tantrums (or worse, baby crying), or old folks nagging - it could be dangerous to drive under such condition.

If it's only going to one place, and not very inaccessible, then there is not much advantage to rent a car to drive. If it involves going to different places that are out of the way, then driving makes sense.

Just to add on

For rental car, there is deposit required and also excess payment even if get into a very minor accident. 

Not worth to pay the rental company the extra $$$ even if the minor accident is only few scratches. The rental company

will claim until jialut. 

It's much like travelling overseas with small kids, pram(pram bag too), hot water, milk powder, like carry FBO go chiong mountain. I also took public transport and taxi to get around. My parents young time also no car. We all take bus with no aircon wait long long for bus too. It didn't stop us from weekend outing.

I don't deny having a car make life much easier but it comes at a cost.

Edited by Watwheels

if you have 5 pax and traveling to a few location (park --> shopping--> meal) then rent a car is more convenience, now they have hourly rental car club scheme at neighbourhood which make it even more accessible. Uber/Grab will take up one pax (the driver).

However, if the outing plan is just going to one place, spend a few hours then go home, better to use Uber/Grab.

• Praise 1

Before i got my current car i'd occasionally rent a car for busy days or long weekends. Mostly i got a car from a big rental firm near my house, very simple just needed to whatsapp them what i needed and when, they had all my details on hand.

I also tried Audi's On Demand scheme when they launched it, more expensive but also near my place, very convenient. Was shiok to be the first person to drive their A6, only had 52km on the clock when i picked it up.

For me if i don't drive, I would take uber/grab or taxi if travel with young kid it's because UBER and GRAB cannot pick rider with young kid unless you book their travel with kidz car.

For me the main concern which i hate the most is to look for parking lot. Some time, take cab is more convenient if you ask me. Eg. parking at CBD or shopping centre will easily cost you > $10 bucks which you can take a cab. 

• Praise 1

Twincharged

Personally, I think no need to rent car. Cuz pram got storage area below and can put all the stuff inside. Then just push the pram everywhere. I haven't really encountered many places where I can't push the pram and got to carry it. Now, you can even push the pram up the bus if you want.

↡ Advertisement