238 A-Level Chemistry exam papers stolen - What would you do

Atrecord

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/a-level-chemistry-exam-papers-stolen-238-students-from-4-jcs-9984934

Long article, which i only quote a bit here. Now worried about being sued for reproducing full articles, so pls click the link and read in full...

SINGAPORE: A total of 238 students from four junior colleges who sat for their GCE A-Level examinations last year had part of their H2 Chemistry answer scripts stolen in the United Kingdom, before the papers were delivered to the examiners.

As a result, the final grades for the students were derived through a projection, the Singapore Examinations and Assessment Board (SEAB) revealed on Friday (Feb 23).

However, given the unique circumstances, Cambridge Assessment and SEAB have made arrangements to offer the affected students an opportunity to re-sit the H2 Chemistry Paper 3, if they wish. They will have a choice of taking the paper on Apr 25, or in November 2018.

Those who wish to opt for the re-examination will have the better of their two grades – the awarded grade and the re-examination grade – recorded in their GCE A-Level result slip and certificate. Those who do not wish to take the re-examination will have the awarded grade recorded as the final grade.

Surprised to read this, and also that it's not the first time exams scripts are stolen. This time, the affect students can choose to accept a grade that was calculated/projected by SEAB, or to retake the paper. The higher mark will be used...

My kids are now in sec school... Just wondering if so suay kanna such thing, what should the students do or what should we as parents, advise our kids to do...

[sweatdrop]

↡ Advertisement

Lost papers are out of their hands since it was in UK but SEAB must be staffed with clowns to give this statement too.

The affected candidates were informed of the theft on Friday, when they received their results, and SEAB said it had carefully considered the implications of when to reveal the incident to them.

The initial indication, it explained, was that the stolen scripts might be recovered. If so, the scripts could still be marked. However, the UK police had not managed to arrest the culprits or locate the stolen packages by the end of January, when the marking of all Chemistry papers for the whole cohort was completed.

Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/a-level-chemistry-exam-papers-stolen-238-students-from-4-jcs-9984934

You mean if they find the papers, still can mark and still valid? Not scared that it was tampered with?

Those who do not wish to take the re-examination will have the awarded grade recorded as the final grade.

....can someone explain to me what it meant for those who do not wish to retake? i no under the stand.

[confused]

and how then is the final grade determined when the 2nd papers are missing.????

She came to Singapore for a free holiday lah.

Why can't these people take their job more seriously and concentrate on doing things right.

This is not a game hor they cannot play play as a future scholar might not get his or her scholarship.

I suggest canning and detention for the careless staff to teach them a lesson they should never forget.

:D

England is famous for secret agents losing laptops with the country's most important defence secrets on trains.

They should ban secret agents taking the train and make them drive cars instead for the security of the country.

I really wonder who is more irresponsible in the UK.

The top secret agents who are always losing laptops with England's more important defence secrets

or

the examiners who are always losing people's exam papers or the exam questions or the correct answers they use as a guide?

This is really a country with a lot of unprofessional people and most don't bathe everyday and are known as the great unwashed

Anyone think I am joking goggle it.

Supercharged

The thing is we never hear of missing exam papers until recent years.(or was it covered up previously :ph34r:) Have someone made changes to the delivery process?

TMD, looks like lightning struck twice, in one year!

I think like this hor, presents good opportunity for any other aspiring competitor of Cambridge to come out and get more market share.

Cambridge reputation surely slowly heading south leh, like this...

Cambridge is famous for gay spies.

All the heads of the British Secret Service were gay men from Cambridge.

I have a suggestion. Photocopy all the exam scripts and only the originals sent to UK.

When they lose it send copies of the copies in case they lose the copies also.

I don't think these people from Cambridge have even thought about this.

But they should do it.

Exam papers lost.

Spearm samples mixed up.

Wrong baby take from hospital.

I suspect my wife is wrong baby pick up from hospital.

She is not like her mother at all.

Also not like her father.

I suspect I got the wrong MIL.

Edited by Jamesc
↡ Advertisement