B&B Cars safety picks

Lala81

i'm looking hard at cars with a depre less than 10k/year and have traction control and 6 airbags.

Another additional bonus requirement would have been preferably crash tested by IIHS (Euro ncap is unlikely for these asian vehicles)

Basically to me, IIHS testing is probably the most rigorous and independent testing standard. So i would take that as the gold standard.

I've not really bothered with AseanNCAP before but i guess still better than nothing. They don't do frontal overlaps from my cursory glance.

So far i've short listed,

a) Elantra

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/hyundai/elantra-4-door-sedan

a pity that i30 has 2 airbags for it's price ... 

https://www.euroncap.com/en/results/hyundai/i30/27355

b) Vios

- asean ncap 5 stars for all it's worth... 

http://www.aseancap.org/v2/?p=3919

c) Axio - has toyota safety sense

- i'm guessing same as vios?

- but additional bonus of safety sense. Can do collision mitigation braking

d) Corolla just creeping in under 10k depre with the latest COE and finally a full airbag complement

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/toyota/corolla-4-door-sedan/2018

e) Vezel - has honda sensing as a 1k option

- doesn't do well for a small overlap but still G for moderate overlap

- but with the honda sensing, that would avoid some easily avoidable frontal collisions

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/honda/hr-v-4-door-suv

If there's any model i missed out. do let me know.

mitubishi attrage has supposedly 6 airbags, but i can't find any crash testing data.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

is 6 airbags a must ?

cos I think Civic is a competent car and is now $99,999 on sgcarmart, 2 airbags though.

structurally the car's shell is safe enough definitely for the modern cars. But given that full airbags are part of base equipment overseas in crash testing, i won't accept a lower safety standard given that good safety specs are now permeating down into the B&B range.

In fact honda and toyota are making their safety equipment standard or very cheap option to own worldwide. 

Especially since my kids are going to be seated in the rear. rear side airbags are impt

Edited by Lala81

i'm looking hard at cars with a depre less than 10k/year and have traction control and 6 airbags.

Another additional bonus requirement would have been preferably crash tested by IIHS (Euro ncap is unlikely for these asian vehicles)

Basically to me, IIHS testing is probably the most rigorous and independent testing standard. So i would take that as the gold standard.

I've not really bothered with AseanNCAP before but i guess still better than nothing. They don't do frontal overlaps from my cursory glance.

So far i've short listed,

a) Elantra

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/hyundai/elantra-4-door-sedan

a pity that i30 has 2 airbags for it's price ... 

https://www.euroncap.com/en/results/hyundai/i30/27355

b) Vios

- asean ncap 5 stars for all it's worth... 

http://www.aseancap.org/v2/?p=3919

c) Axio - has toyota safety sense

- i'm guessing same as vios?

- but additional bonus of safety sense. Can do collision mitigation braking

d) Corolla just creeping in under 10k depre with the latest COE and finally a full airbag complement

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/toyota/corolla-4-door-sedan/2018

e) Vezel - has honda sensing as a 1k option

- doesn't do well for a small overlap but still G for moderate overlap

- but with the honda sensing, that would avoid some easily avoidable frontal collisions

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/honda/hr-v-4-door-suv

mitubishi attrage has supposedly 6 airbags, but i can't find any crash testing data.

Don't flame me.

Just asking only.Me also want to know and learn more.

All these tests are done in controlled environment at a speed of 60km/h and that usually is not the speed when a fatal mishap happens?

And with the speed of 60km/h,one should be able to stop in time?

You miss you

- Kia Cerato (Sport variant has 6 airbags)

- Subaru Impreza (7 airbags)

- Citroen C3 Aircross (6 airbags)

- Ford Focus (6 airbags)

- Honda HR-V LX (6 airbags)

- Mazda 6 Standard (6 airbags)

- Mazda 3 (4 airbags)

- Nissan Qashqai (6 airbags)

- VW Golf (7 airbags)

- Peugeot 2008 (6 airbags)

- Suzuki Vitara (7 airbags)

Edited by Carbon82
  • Praise 6

Don't flame me.

All these tests are done in controlled environment at a speed of 60km/h and that usually is not the speed when a fatal mishap happens?

of course if u go faster than not much can save u.

If a tipper truck want to ram you, maybe u drive xc90 also won't save your life.

But these safety testing has definitely improved survivability in most motor accident crashes.

High speed crashes are not common here in SG, but u can see survivors walking away from horrific crashes in the states. I've seen where the civic or CRV is completely totalled and the occupant gets off with minor injuries.

You miss you

- Kia Cerato (Sport variant has 6 airbags)

- Subaru Impreza (7 airbags)

- Citroen C3 Aircross (6 airbags)

- Ford Focus (6 airbags)

- Honda HR-V LX (6 airbags)

HRV = vezel so to me is the same.

Impreza i forgot about that one. But it's a 2.0L so i don't think it falls under a budget mindset but thanks.

my screening on SGCM didn't show a C3 

The K3 is essentially the same as the elantra. so safety specs should be the same. Yes the top spec has 6 airbags. I left it out inadvertently. 

This is my own shopping list, so some of my inherent biases and preferences are inside as well. Just sharing the safety specs of the different cars.

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 1

Twincharged

Don't flame me.

IRRC, they chose 60km/h cuz based on statistics that captures the most number of crashes that happen in the real world. I guess most would brake before a crash so usually the crash happens at 60km/h or lower?

• Praise 1

of course if u go faster than not much can save u.

If a tipper truck want to ram you, maybe u drive xc90 also won't save your life.

But these safety testing has definitely improved survivability in most motor accident crashes.

High speed crashes are not common here in SG, but u can see survivors walking away from horrific crashes in the states. I've seen where the civic or CRV is completely totalled and the occupant gets off with minor injuries.

HRV = vezel so to me is the same.

Impreza i forgot about that one. But it's a 2.0L so i don't think it falls under a budget mindset but thanks.

my screening on SGCM didn't show a C3

The K3 is essentially the same as the elantra. so safety specs should be the same. Yes the top spec has 6 airbags. I left it out inadvertently.

This is my own shopping list, so some of my inherent biases and preferences are inside as well. Just sharing the safety specs of the different cars.

Impreza,after deducting all discounts,is dangerously close to k3 at just 2k more,so it's budget

Don't flame me.

Just asking only.Me also want to know and learn more.

All these tests are done in controlled environment at a speed of 60km/h and that usually is not the speed when a fatal mishap happens?

The cars are tested at 60km/h impact speed. under normal circumstances, lets say one is travelling at 80km/h, there should be some braking applied such that the speed could be reduced to 60 or below at impact.
  • Praise 1

No offence but my observation during daily travelling is that 80-90% of the rear passengers don't even wear a seatbelt. So really if a car has 20 airbags but the rear passengers have no habit of buckling up I don't see how the quantity of airbags can play a part in safety locally. 

Do all these test crashes take into account of buckling up? Not too familiar with all these.

IRRC, they chose 60km/h cuz based on statistics that captures the most number of crashes that happen in the real world. I guess most would brake before a crash so usually the crash happens at 60km/h or lower?

But 60kmh can crush until like that?

Thought that kind of damage is at higher speeds

Twincharged

I think so. Cuz that is the crumple zone ma... Its the thing that absorbs the impact. I guess most of us never really get to see a crash at 60km/h cuz our speed limit here so low. When going to crash, the driver sure brake so even if the driver travelling at speed limit or abit above, should have reduced speed quite significantly before crashing.

The video that is linked by @Carbon82 are small overlaps. So these are designed to inflict more damage to one side of the front.

No offence but my observation during daily travelling is that 80-90% of the rear passengers don't even wear a seatbelt. So really if a car has 20 airbags but the rear passengers have no habit of buckling up I don't see how the quantity of airbags can play a part in safety locally.

Do all these test crashes take into account of buckling up? Not too familiar with all these.

Definitely true. The single best intervention is the seat belt. If you don't buckle up, no one can help u...

You can't do much about others but only the occupants of your own car.

• Praise 1

Of course they do....or this will happen if they don't buckle up.

I can't upload the video,but search for ADAC crash test without seatbelts and you will get your answer.

For those who are lazy,all I can tell you that the driver will be sandwiched and will die.

Edited by Brass

The video that is linked by @Carbon82 are small overlaps. So these are designed to inflict more damage to one side of the front.

Definitely true. The single best intervention is the seat belt. If you don't buckle up, no one can help u...

You can't do much about others but only the occupants of your own car.

It's like 20-25% of the cars width.

Extremely stringent and strict protocol that most ASEAN ncap (like proton Saga..) cars fail except for those sold in us or the well engineered ones (unlikely)

don't bother with the attrage...

Small overlap results(Using a mirage which is almost the same car)

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/mitsubishi/mirage-4-door-hatchback/2018

Impreza is one of those to go for. The vehicle motion after the crash reminds me of Volvos.

Edited by Holdenutessv
  • Praise 1

don't bother with the attrage...

Small overlap results(Using a mirage which is almost the same car)

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/mitsubishi/mirage-4-door-hatchback/2018

Impreza is one of those to go for. The vehicle motion after the crash reminds me of Volvos.

Actually score better than I expect haha. I thought it would be a death trap lol
↡ Advertisement